Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with Netsource problems yesterday/today?

• 30-01-2005 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm not a Netsource customer myself but a friends broadband (Galway area) stopped working some time yesterday evening/night and has been down since. The physical connection is fine but there he can't seem to authenticate. All the settings, etc are fine so I'm 99% sure it's on the Netsource side.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

No problems today or yesterday for myself..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TonyB

Hey,

I'm not a Netsource customer myself but a friends broadband (Galway area) stopped working some time yesterday evening/night and has been down since. The physical connection is fine but there he can't seem to authenticate. All the settings, etc are fine so I'm 99% sure it's on the Netsource side.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem.

Thanks.

It's a long shot, but I don't suppose he has a Netgear DG824M ADSL router by any chance? I have one of these and it has suddenly stopped being able to connect to Netsource. I had to replace it with a LinkSys, which works fine.

Also Note: Eircom is upgrading equipment at the moment and Netsource have posted advance notice of the upgrades along with instructions to a setting change that need to be made if you are using a Zyxel USB ADSL modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's a DG824M alright so that might explain. I have a spare Zyxel USB modem which I was planning to bring over to test the connection with in any event, but this makes me a lot more optimistic about it being worth the trip.

Hopefully there will be some way to fix this with a firmware upgrade soon but if not the guys were considering getting a new router anyway.

Thanks TonyB ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TonyB

It's a DG824M alright so that might explain. I have a spare Zyxel USB modem which I was planning to bring over to test the connection with in any event, but this makes me a lot more optimistic about it being worth the trip.

Hopefully there will be some way to fix this with a firmware upgrade soon but if not the guys were considering getting a new router anyway.

Thanks TonyB ;)

Here's what I've been seeing: The 'i' light on the router cycles between off, flashing amber, then green. While green the light may flash briefly to indicate activity on the line, then it goes out again. The cycle lasts under a minute and the diagnostics page indicates that it is failing to connect.

Sometimes it will get an IP from the remote server, but mostly it fails after 'waiting for data'.

It's a very annoying problem. The Netgear Router was an expensive beast and the LinkSys I've just replaced it with wasn't cheap either. If this problem is caused by upgrade work then what's to stop it happening again sometime down the road?

Anyone else got a DG824M?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Yesterday we checked the DG824M again and tried my spare ZyXEL USB modem. Neither worked. Unlike TonyB's problem, in this case the router gets a physical connection without a problem but then fails to authenticate (likewise with the ZyXEL). The guys probably rang Netsource today so hopefully it'll be sorted post haste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement