Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bodhran lessons needed

Options
  • 30-01-2005 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

living in Finglas Dublin anybody know where to get lessons or classes near ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MogwaiFearSatan

i think Waltons on dame street do 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dave107

many thanks will ring them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i know a guy on the northside if ya still need em PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 djpk

ceoltas (not sure about spelling) in monkstown. got lessons there really good...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Teach yourself. It's simple when you get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

No it isn't. This is a common mistake. The bodhran, like any instrument worth learning, is an incredibly involving and a very complex percussion instrument. You would spend your life learning to master its intricacies. You wouldn't expect to learn to play the piano in three days, why do people think they can buy a bodhran in Waltons, and walk across the street into a session and start banging away

Any idiot can pick up a stick and whack a drum. It don't make you a drummer though

Have a listen to a band called flook and their bodhran player John Joe Kelly, and then tell me that the bodhran is simple.

To answer the original post. Fair play to you for looking for lessons. As was already recommended, Waltons are a good bet but probably not cheap. The Comhaltas option out in the Culturlann in Monkstown will definitely be cheaper, but city centre it ain't. Lots of books, tapes and vids out. And check out the summer schools. Plenty about.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Its the handiest instrument to pick up that I've come across. I've been playing it a few years. I may not be a master player but then again who is, or needs to be. I play other instruments too that I've been thought and I've far from mastered them. A good video will do the trick. Get fiddle lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm selling vouchers for waltons if you go with them. They can be used for lessons, €300 for €260
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210904&highlight=waltons

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dave107

thanks every one for your help I'm sorted now thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Try aras chronain in Monastry road in Clondalkin if its not too far away for you.I did a tin whistle lesson there once and they are still the cheapest of the lot I think.The website is araschronain.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tumeltyni

that guy wrote:
    To answer the original post. Fair play to you for looking for lessons. As was already recommended, Waltons are a good bet but probably not cheap. The Comhaltas option out in the Culturlann in Monkstown will definitely be cheaper, but city centre it ain't. Lots of books, tapes and vids out. And check out the summer schools. Plenty about.

Any idea which summer schools are good? Just did the beginners course in Waltons, very good, great teacher, but they've nothing for intermediates during the summer apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corrcullen

What about button accordion lessons anybody run them?
    Preferably as close to lucan as possible....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I want to bump this one two year's on.

I'm looking for Bodhran lesson's, preferably on the northside of Dublin.

Anyone know where I can pay for one-on-one lesson's?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ashmcdude

hey, im looking for bodhran lessons myself, where did you get urs dave or anybody and how much were they? im livin on north side but wudnt mind travelling.Thanx alot.ais

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Madra_Rua

The places that have been posted originally are still valid.
    Also, check for a local Comhaltas branch in your area. They usually offer great value and you'll meet other musicians.
    Another way of finding a bodhrán teacher is to go to some sessions and when you hear somebody who's playing you like - ask him/her if he/she would teach you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

id check waltons and see if mick dunphy is doin any lessons atm. hes a great trad player!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Petermusiclover

hey am looking for bodhran lessons can you please forward me the number for the guy...hopin to get them as an xmas pressie!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Miao

Hi! I know a brilliant bodhrán player who lives on the north side. Champion bodhrán player in fleadhs - World Bodhran Champion too! He's a great teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PercussionLad

dave107 wrote: »
    living in Finglas Dublin anybody know where to get lessons or classes near ?

Im a bodhrán teacher. Winner of Leinster and All-Ireland Fleadh Under 18s Bodhrán Competition 2010
    Based in South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PercussionLad

that guy wrote: »
    No it isn't. This is a common mistake. The bodhran, like any instrument worth learning, is an incredibly involving and a very complex percussion instrument. You would spend your life learning to master its intricacies. You wouldn't expect to learn to play the piano in three days, why do people think they can buy a bodhran in Waltons, and walk across the street into a session and start banging away

Any idiot can pick up a stick and whack a drum. It don't make you a drummer though

Have a listen to a band called flook and their bodhran player John Joe Kelly, and then tell me that the bodhran is simple.

Well said.... John Joe is actually a friend of mine he is a legendary player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

Comhaltas Navan Road (Mary Help of Christians/John Bosco Schools) starts new classes week after next and is registering on Friday 27 Jan. That may be close enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nialler1

Very good teacher in Drumcondra:

http://www.tempomusicschool.ie

Advertisement