Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone ever been hit by the Guards?

Options
  • 30-01-2005 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Had a small collision tonight with a Garda car, their fault.
    Was wondering if anyone else has ever had to make an insurance claim against the Guards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

No, but how many of them and how many of you and have you made an accident report yet and have you got a copy of their accident report for comparison?
    Even if it were their fault, it might be wise to engage a lawyer to persue any claims you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Two of them and just one of me I'm afraid, although the driver admitted liability at the scene.

10 mins later there were 5 Guards on the scene and both cars had to be taken away for a roadworthyness test :eek:

Will know a bit more on Monday I suppose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Well it was a few years ago a friend of mine minding his own busineess was hit by a police car ( POL ACK ). Change yor name, move out of the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

Two of them and just one of me I'm afraid, although the driver admitted liability at the scene.

10 mins later there were 5 Guards on the scene and both cars had to be taken away for a roadworthyness test :eek:

I know a girl that had a squad car reverse out infront of her .. she crashed into them as a result ... broke three vertebrae and 3 squad cars arrived on the scene.. will let you know the outcome.. this was only couple of weeks ago...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you get the admission in writing? This week I had been given two guarrantees by two different gardai. Without going into too much detail, the second garda claimed that the first had no authority to make their promise. Afterwards, a third garda told me that the second one had no authority to make their promise. In the end I had for fork out a significant amount of money because they were lying fuppers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I hope it all works out ok for you Neil_Sedaka.

Did you happen to take any photos of the accident scene ?
    (I always carry a camera in my car - hope I don't need to use it for an accident though!)

Thanks for all the replies, they are very much appreciated.
    Just to answer a few questions, no I didn't get their admission in writing, you know the way these things go, when it's the Guards you automatically feel like a criminal for some reason!

No photo's either, though I heard one of them talk about getting road measurements when "things are a bit quieter"

I have to collect the car tonight so I presume they'll fill me in a bit more then.
    Thanks again.

......:(

Amazing and interesting how there are 5 gards on the scene in minutes when one of themselves is involved and technical expetrs to boot.... half the county could have died with na're a witness and with the usual "technical finding" ....speed.

I't a wonder the newcomers did not start interrogating you on the spot.

I would not put much in the cop in question admitting anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They took your car away? Do they have the right to do that? Very odd - particularly when a valid NCT is supposed to indicate that the car is technically roadworthy.

I would pursue your claim through the normal channels. At the same time I would get names and badge numbers of the various gardai you have been dealing with. Also make sure you get a copy of the "roadworthiness test".

I hate to say this but the State will be paying out so why would the drivers be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Came very close a year or two ago. Garda car took a very sudden right from a lane into the main road heading south from Milltown to Dundrum. Managed to wedge my car between his and the kerb without hitting him - thanks to superior BMW ABS brakes. Twas a millimeter job alright. He drove on and so did I, after using my horn extensively, out of shock I guess. He then blocked my path at the next crossroads and apologised profusely...
    Silvera wrote:
    I always carry a camera in my car

Yep, same here. Thanks mike65 for the tip

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote:
    I hate to say this but the State will be paying out so why would the drivers be worried.

I have a suspicion that the driver might have had a few pints :eek: he was all over the road for a few hundred yards before eventually hitting me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have a suspicion that the driver might have had a few pints :eek: he was all over the road for a few hundred yards before eventually hitting me.
    So you had been watching him for a few minutes? Could you not have avoided him?

Hmmmmmm..... a wandering object in the shape of a garda car all over the road.... No matter what it was, take evasive action, even if that means following at 25mph for a mile of two... till they take a sharp left into a drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thats really irritating. I haven't crashed into one but it was a close thing. I was out in a bright red Irish School of Motoring car on Thursday and a garda car pulled right out in front of me. Was quite scary. Wouldn't mind but they didn't have sirens or lights on and just drove slowly in front of me for ages afterwards

Advertisement