Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil Change

Options
  • 30-01-2005 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I got the oil and filter changed in my 1.6L car this time last year at Kwik Fit, it cost EUR46.00
    I called in yesterday and they were lookfing for EUR 60.00 for the same job.
    I know oil prices have gone up put this is a 30% increase in a year.

Does anyone know what the average cost in the Dublin area for a Oil and Filter change for a 1.6L car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

ROVER wrote:
    I got the oil and filter changed in my 1.6L car this time last year at Kwik Fit, it cost EUR46.00
    I called in yesterday and they were lookfing for EUR 60.00 for the same job.
    I know oil prices have gone up put this is a 30% increase in a year.

Does anyone know what the average cost in the Dublin area for a Oil and Filter change for a 1.6L car?

Well 5 litres of semi synthetic 10w50 is around €20 or thereabouts and a quality filter is maybe around €10 to €15. Find out what you can buy these for down your local motor factors and the rest is profit. That's not even taking into account that you're not getting trade price and paying vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

unfortunately business costs have spiralled in the last few years. cheap labour is non existant and insurance/ rates and rent have all gone mental. 60 euro does sound like alot for an oil and filter change though i would have said 45 personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Change it urself you useless Focker!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I did an oil change on my car last week - Duckhams semi-synthetic cost me €16.50 which was cheaper than in '02 when it cost me €21.50 (same motor factors) !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

whered u buy the oil from? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Got it from the Arabs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

parts:
    wrench (to remove sump nut) (I don't know the size)
    oil filter wrench or possible a screwdriver (for oil filter)
    jack & axle stands (maybe you can reach under without raising the car)
    Oil collection tray and 5L bottle to put it into (don't dump oil - bring it to an appropriate disposal facility)

Oil (see your owners manual for grade) (<€25)
    oil filter (<€10)
    sump nut washer (<$0.50)

Google for the procedure/pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

rander00 wrote:

I used to change the oil my self years back, but at Eur 45.00 for my last change is was not worth the hassle doing in my self. I live in an apartment now and the management co do not allow DIY car maintenance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

kbannon wrote:
    parts:
    oil filter wrench or possible a screwdriver (for oil filter)
    Oil (see your owners manual for grade) (<€25)
    oil filter (<€10)
    sump nut washer (<$0.50)

Google for the procedure/pictures

If you change it yourself, Depending on circumstance you may be able to save a few extra by buying the oil in bulk, eg, either 1 or 5 gal drums and 3 to 5 filters at a time.
    Same with the sump washers.

As for the filter wrench, you may need one to get the filter off after the last person to change it, ... However, If you hand tighten the filter there is no need for a wrench thereafter.... unless your hands & wrist are weak.
    Just clean and lube the "O" ring and gasket flange on the engine.

I always hand tighten but I cannot recollect the last time I was able to hand remove (I believe I'm not weak!)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

rander00 wrote:

what do u do with de old stuff
    you can't put it down the drain, do do you put it into a plastic container into the bin and that is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's two schools of changing oil, one is to do it when the engine is still warm and the oil flows out much easier and the other is to do it with the engine cold and the oil filter will probably twist off by hand and also won't be full of oil that will go all over the shop when you take it off. For collecting the oil, get a large kitty litter tray from your local pet shop and for the sump plug, most likely a 12mm or 14mm spanner depending on the size of the engine.

kbannon wrote:
    I always hand tighten but I cannot recollect the last time I was able to hand remove (I believe I'm not weak!)!

Right on.
    I can, It was not a car I had any previous expereince with. A BMW with a filter that was probably 5 years old based on the numbers on it....

Which indicates, if you cannot move it, "30 sec oil changers" won't either... but will charge you for trying.

vector wrote:
    what do u do with de old stuff
    you can't put it down the drain, do do you put it into a plastic container into the bin and that is that?

Call your CC or City REfuse Dept. .
    If they cannot give you a suggestion, mail it to the Dept of the Env. or the EPA. Might jog their collective minds......

alias no.9 wrote:
    There's two schools of changing oil, one is to do it when the engine is still warm and the oil flows out much easier and the other is to do it with the engine cold and the oil filter will probably twist off by hand and also won't be full of oil that will go all over the shop when you take it off. For collecting the oil, get a large kitty litter tray from your local pet shop and for the sump plug, most likely a 12mm or 14mm spanner depending on the size of the engine.

I'd suggest "warm", then it is fluid enough to flow and the engine is "cool" enough to handle.
    Cold is ok, depending on viscosity, however, I believe it is easier to hand remove the filter when warm.
    The only car I have removed a filter from that did not spill, hot, warm or cold was a Toy, Celica with an inverted top-side filter. All others spill somewhat, some worse than others.
    I have found if you "crack" the gasket and let it "leak" into a pan, while you remove the remaining oil, it's not a problem. However, if you simply "spin" off the filter, you have a mess.

Patience, get to know the vehicle. You do not need litter, etc. plus litter makes it more difficult to re-cycle.
    As for the drain plug, just get teh correct socket, be it 12, 13, 14 ,15.17 or 1/2"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AMurphy wrote:
    ter from that did not spill, hot, warm or cold was a Toy, Celica with an inverted top-side filter. All others spill somewhat, some worse than others.

Mercedes uses an anti-drain valve system, which sounds similair and very good it is. Makes you wonder why its not more common.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

mike65 wrote:
    Mercedes uses an anti-drain valve system, which sounds similair and very good it is. Makes you wonder why its not more common.

Mike.

. . . right Ted . . . eh what's that then ?

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno what it is Dougal (have'nt seen a cross-section) but the filter is located "upside down" at the top of the engine. When you spin it off instead of getting covered in warm oil absolutely nothing happens. Its clean. There must be a valve somewhere inside.

Mike.

sounds like your oil filter has something to stop oil getting nto it and dirtying it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

AMurphy wrote:
    I'd suggest "warm", then it is fluid enough to flow and the engine is "cool" enough to handle.
    Cold is ok, depending on viscosity, however, I believe it is easier to hand remove the filter when warm.
    The only car I have removed a filter from that did not spill, hot, warm or cold was a Toy, Celica with an inverted top-side filter. All others spill somewhat, some worse than others.
    I have found if you "crack" the gasket and let it "leak" into a pan, while you remove the remaining oil, it's not a problem. However, if you simply "spin" off the filter, you have a mess.

Patience, get to know the vehicle. You do not need litter, etc. plus litter makes it more difficult to re-cycle.
    As for the drain plug, just get teh correct socket, be it 12, 13, 14 ,15.17 or 1/2"

I usually find if you leave it over night, all of the oil has drained down out of the filter so there's no mess and it twists off by hand which is particularly useful for me cos my filter is difficult to get at with a wrench from the top and I don't have a ramp or pit to get at it from the bottom. I just give it plenty of time to drain to overcome the fact that it's not warm.
    I didnt mean to use kitty litter to soak up the oil, the plastic trays you buy in petshops to put kitty litter in are a particularly convenient size to collect oil in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement