Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre to the Home Ireland Question

• 30-01-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

There is a company providing fibre to the home in Dublin city with the first development in Baldoyle connected. Ther eis a 100mega coneection providing telephone, internet and tv !!

Anyone know thier name it was in the irish times on Thursday.

Its all the rage in Japan now !!! UNLIMITED bandwidth at the turn of a switch !!!

Only problem is it can only go into new devlopments or homes near fibre !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Drapper wrote:
    Anyone know thier name it was in the irish times on Thursday.

it started with M, what was it now........eh Magnet i think it was. I seen it in the digital ireland section in the independant.
    Magnet's basic offering is a so-called 'triple play' of multi-channel TV, low-cost phone calls and 2MB broadband internet access

The main TV offering comprises 20 channels and costs €18 per month. The monthly telephone line-rental charge is €23.99, but a service option for €6 more includes 300 national fixed-line minutes. Magnet's portal, www.magnet.ie, offers a detailed breakdown of call charges to several destinations. The basic broadband service costs €29.90 per month, with a cap of 12GB for downloads. There is a connection charge for each service, although taking two or more of the services reduces this cost. There is a special offer to set up homes with TV, phone and broadband for just €99 until the end of February.

Alas, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The TV service looks crap, they just seem to be charging for channels that are free to air in the UK and Ireland. The telephone service is hardly stellar either, slightly cheaper than eircom, no flat rate product. The internet service is utterly crippled by that measly 12Gb cap. That means you can only download for about 1 day in a month of 30 days. Let's hope they roll out nationwide rather than in just Dublin, might shake up eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Well, in fairness, anyone who delivers TV channels charges for it. Without checking my statments, I think NTL's monthly charge is €30+.

Eircom's monthly charge is about €45 and for that you get a 4GB cap at 512 Kbs.

It seems like a fairly good deal to me.

Regards,

Liam

Advertisement