Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - What a surprise!!! (Platforms)

Options
  • 30-01-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - What a surprise!!!

Wow! What can I say? I downloaded this platform genre game and wow it is really good even by today's standards! I repeat this game was released in 1998 and is excellent quality (while not too heavy) and works fine in XP.
    Platform games haven't really impressed me on the PC. It was never my genre. I'm more into RPGs, Simulations and interactive fiction and Apps.

What other Platform game would come close or beat Jazz Jack Rabbit 2's quality? This is one amazing effort by Epic Games and it really is PC native.

It's free at http://www.abandonia.com

I missed this gem. Any others recommended ? I remember Zool and Oscar on the PC in 1994 and what a joke! The was Amiga was still the best at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Preferred the first one. JJR2 was very good, though. The hi-res graphics were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good site, Hamster.

I recommend Raptor and Tyrian 2000, both on this page.

Edit: They're shooters, not platformers, but they're both great games.

There is a great platformer called Fury of the Furries (either under platform or puzzle section - can't remember). You might need to download dosbox to run it, though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

TmB wrote:
    Good site, Hamster.

I recommend Raptor and Tyrian 2000, both on this page.

Edit: They're shooters, not platformers, but they're both great games.

There is a great platformer called Fury of the Furries (either under platform or puzzle section - can't remember). You might need to download dosbox to run it, though....

Fury of Furries... yes I saw that. I must try that one. It's a bit like the Lost Vikings... another good platformer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

yay - someone else on boards actually plays old pc games. i am not alone. :D

i like that abandonia site eventhough home of the underdogs offers a lot more games.

do you guys play using a gamepad or keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Started playing the Commander Keen series yesterday actually. Six episodes in total, finished the first one last night. Very enjoyable.

Not sure if it's abandonware; I got my copy a few years ago in the iD Anthology set, along with Dangerous Dave, Rescue Rover and, of course, Doom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Khalim wrote:
    yay - someone else on boards actually plays old pc games. i am not alone. :D

i like that abandonia site eventhough home of the underdogs offers a lot more games.

do you guys play using a gamepad or keyboard?

Thanks for reminding. I'm shocked that I haven't touched a joystick for years - probably 1996 was the last time I did... and that was for a flight sim. EF2000, which was amazing at the time (before 3DFX's efforts came along). Yeah, the keyboard is great especially when I'm stuck with a laptop.

Advertisement