Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting 2 computers to the one Printer?

Options
  • 30-01-2005 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

This is probably very easy but I need some help to know im doing it right.

I have connected 2 computers to the one Pc via a printer cable.

Theguy said my next move is to connect them together by making a mini- network and forming a print que etc.... using IP addresses etc..

I have XP on both machines.

can anyone give me a step by step way of doing this please?

Thanks

E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

you done what now??

you the computers connected via a printer cable?? do you mean a null modem? :)

meanwhile, just set the printer up on one of the pcs then share it, printers folder right click - share. then have the other pc browse the network (my network places), should see the printer, double click and it'll install.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can go as simple as getting an A/B hardware switch to allow you to print from 1 'puter at a time. Or, you can get a 'print server' with ethernet port and set up a simple lan so that both 'puters can print at any time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could get a USB sharing hub.

Some wireless bluetooth dongles and printer adapters.

A printer server.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

basic: hardware switch or usb hub. downside: have to physically toggle which printer prints

slightly more fancy: peer to peer network, share out printer from one PC. downside: if both try to print at same time or if the "host" pc is switched off in teh middle of a print run there can be nastiness

fancy: a hp 2-port jetdirect and an IP address. downside: expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can get an autosensing USB sharing hub.

The Printer Server is "only" about E80...

• Advertisement
Advertisement