Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok please dont shoot me for posting this but....

Options
  • 30-01-2005 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

not known for its ground breaking journalism, this piece caught my eye in the Irish News of The world Today

Piece reads as follows

Set for Net Gain

High Speed internet access is on course to reach a massive half a million Irish people by next year. The number of Broadband users quadrupled from 30,000 to around 120,000 in the past 12 months. "There is a vast pool of potential customers itching for broadband," said junior communication minister Pat The Cope Gallagher. "As Broadband becomes more widely available the number of users will continue to rise".

More than 130 firms are now supplying broadband and 35 more towns will get access this spring in the second phase of the Metropolitan Area Networks.

Towns with a population of 1,500 and over can apply for Broadband help under the governments 25 million euro county and group Broadband scheme.

Minister Gallagher said "This will attract inward investment and will offer untold opputunities for the people of these towns".

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

shinzon wrote:

Minister Gallagher said "....".

Full text of Gallagher's PR is on the DCMNR website here
    From it: "The Government’s publicly stated desire is to see at least 500,000 broadband users by 2006. This, I believe, is very achievable.”

What now? 500 000 bb users by 2006 (they always mean 31 December)? Last time I checked Dempsey was talking of 400 000.
    Eircom are talking of 500 000 by end 2007.
    Easily achievable? Not by talking up the numbers and not with a lame regulator in place.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

shinzon wrote:
    Minister Gallagher said "....".

Along with the rest of the verbiage, his press release includes this nugget....

"This is a recognition that the broadband does not just stop at infrastructure."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Indeed. In most cases, it doesn't even get that far.

Advertisement