Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

any bmw experts?

Options
  • 30-01-2005 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

my e36 is revving up at idle and also stalls or tries to stall when changing from lower gears upwards, say in city driving. its a 94 316.

got the fuel filter done, no joy it seems......

any ideas folks

e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

on an unknown motor that doesnt run right start with a compression check u can buy a tester cheap. just screw it into the spark plug hole and it will give u a leakdown result, if this is no good take it down to a car auction.
    then move onto the next thing-mafs, o2 sensors air cleaners, throttle bodies, obstucted damaged cats, faulty fuel injection etc. i dont think its too difficult to analyse a modern car with basic tools like a multimeter and a diagnostic plug but it needs to be done systematically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I think there is a post here. Someone had much the same problem, turned out to be the throttle position sensor (tps).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Before you try anything else, clean the idle air stabiliser with carb cleaner and see if there is any difference. It is usually the cause of an erratic idle. Also spray this all around the engine to see if there are any vacuum leaks.

kbannon wrote:
    Before you try anything else, clean the idle air stabiliser with carb cleaner and see if there is any difference. It is usually the cause of an erratic idle. Also spray this all around the engine to see if there are any vacuum leaks.

how would this indicate a vaccum leak? would u c bubbles?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

revs will drop or car could even cut out if carb cleaner is sucked into the system after you spray it around

• Advertisement

Very Clever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

All very good suggestions, but in reality the first thing you do is plug it into a diagnostics tester, This will isolate your airlow sensor, o2 sensor,TPS, etc. It could also be your tank recert valve staying open ( It should only open at motorway speeds to vent to the carbon can under the bonnet) and you'll never know without a diagnostic. But like I said, you could spend all day guessing, just get a diagnostic run. Most respectable garages have the ability to test most models now.

Advertisement