Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEEDED: Recent Posts Code

Options
  • 30-01-2005 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

I've got this phpbb forum site:

http://www.createphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=shrimp

I'd like to make a homepage for it like the one on www.boards.us as thats php aswell. I would like a to know where I can get a tutorial? or the code for it?

It's so much more easier to be able to see all the recent post layed out like that.

Thank you to anyone who helps in any way..

Thanks again..

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There probably is a downloadable script for this - did you check www.phpbb.com?
    Also, are you allowed upload files (your recent_posts.php file) to the createphpbb.com server?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

cheers man.. I was hoping I could have the homepage been hosted on a different sever, like freewebs.com or something, then have the code on that site, gettin info from my site? you understand me?

it is not expensive to get a domain and some php/mysql enabled hosting that will not carry adverts (except your own!) and you can tweak it any way you can!

well, i dont know any php coding.. so.... I'm lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Hey, would you look at what three words in Google turned up...

• Advertisement

thats all well and good, but I didn't download the phpbb pack then upload it, it was just a form u fill out on the web...

Hey, would you look at what three words in Google turned up...
    I still doubt that you can get the ftp or mysql details of the database (hosted phpBB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kbannon wrote:
    I still doubt that you can get the ftp or mysql details of the database (hosted phpBB)
    Thats true enough, but its a solution if he decides to get decent hosting...
    Shrimp wrote:
    I didn't download the phpbb pack then upload it, it was just a form u fill out on the web...
    Better be prepared to enjoy the limitations then. You'd be better off getting proper hosting and setting it up as you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

If you want to do anything really with phpBB you need the freedom and access to the raw files/databases the forums access....

Those free ones are all well and good if it's just a bunch of forums you want but if you want to install hacks you'll need to have access to all the .php files and .tpl files of phpBB

Also a lot of hacks require MySQL queries.

If you want to have your forum on a server that supports php and also gives you a MySQL database you're gonna have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shrimp wrote:
    well, i dont know any php coding.. so.... I'm lost
    There's your problem right there. :)
    Writing new pages that use the phpbb functionality/data is surprisingly easy, but even if you're downloading scripts from the web, some knowledge of PHP/MySQL is useful. Generally scripts come in a blank format, then you have to add in your own images and content, etc yourself. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks gys for the replies anyways.. the effort counts.

Advertisement