Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Salting and Gritting roads

Options
  • 30-01-2005 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

I have often heard it stated that Irish local authorities do not spread salt on the roads in icy weather, that they only grit them. It's also said that the UK authorities grit *and* salt their roads, and that the salt contributes to vehicle corrosion.

However I now see on Monaghan County Council's website that they mention "salting" the roads in winter. Have also checked a few UK websites from various councils and they seem to use the terms salting and gritting interchangably, as if they are one and the same thing.

I was always under the impression that:
    gritting = spreading sand on the roads to give extra grip in icy conditions
    salting = spreading rock salt on the roads to melt the ice/prevent ice forming.

So does anyone know for sure what's the story with this.

BrianD3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno for sure but I have never knowlingly seen anyone salt the roads here only grit them, and then not often.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I thought the 'grit' used in Ireland had a percentage of salt added to it ?

Saw a council truck 'gritting' on the Naas Rd a few weeks ago, the contents of the truck were white in colour.......salt perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I guess someone should phone thier local authority! The stuff I've seen is a dirty-sandy colour.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Silvera wrote:

It certainly does in countries that use salt - no sense sending two lorries out. I can't help with the question of whether salt is used here, though.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Silvera wrote:

Saw a council truck 'gritting' on the Naas Rd a few weeks ago, the contents of the truck were white in colour.......salt perhaps ?

Yep this is right. It's a mix of sand/grit and salt. Much lower % than the UK, hence the health warning with UK-imported cars

• Advertisement
Advertisement