Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

running my own webserver - setting up nameservers

Options
  • 30-01-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

i am used to buying domains and shared hosting accounts and setting the nameservers for my domains to point at my host.

if i wanted to run my own webserver, how do i set up nameservers so that i can host a domain myself?
    i have the web server up and running, and i have a fixed ip address and a domain name. i just need to know how to hook it all up so that www.myname.com goes to the site on my webserver.

can anyone help?
    thanks,
    fizzy :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

If you just have the one server and one IP, I would recommend using a Managed DNS Service and point all your domains at their nameservers and create your own records pointing at your IP. If you want your own NS1 and NS2 etc. you would really need to spread it over a couple of servers for redundancy. (but it is possible on one server, a second IP would help)

There are paid and free DNS Management Services, the difference is in the ease of the control panel.

ZoneEdit is a free one for the first few zones, might be worth a look.

EasyDNS is a membership (about 20 bucks) but they have nice control panels.

We will be offering our own service soon as www.dns-ireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Fizzy - most of the domain registrars offer some form of DNS service that you can use. If you need to setup your own DNS you will need two IP addresses

Michele

Advertisement