Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

w124man wrote: »
    This will depend entirely on the insurance company you use. It will also depend on whether you have a daily driver or not

Yep another daily driver with a policy already there. Interested in knowing which insurance company wouldn't worry about the months or would even cover it this side of winter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

shietpilot wrote: »
    Yep another daily driver with a policy already there. Interested in knowing which insurance company wouldn't worry about the months or would even cover it this side of winter?

I'm with Autoline for my classic policy and while they do say 20 years or older, I've found that they will cover certain cars which aren't yet 20.

Recently picked up an Audi TT first registered in June 1999 and Autoline had no problem sticking it on my policy for a few extra quid. I'd love to know what special list of cars they have that qualifies for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

Hi everybody, what are my chances of insuring a 1988 LHD Nissan Patrol as a vintage car?

These beasts are becoming really scarce in Ireland.

Many thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Hi everybody, what are my chances of insuring a 1988 LHD Nissan Patrol as a vintage car?

These beasts are becoming really scarce in Ireland.

Many thanks in advance.

Every chance, so long as you have a main car policy.

Every chance, so long as you have a main car policy.

LOL, that is the question. I don't have a main car policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭b318isp

You can't get classic policies without a main policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

I reinsured my 1995 E200 as my daily driver today with absolutely no age issues. I've had it 5 years now and this is the last year I'm using it as a daily as I'll be adding her to the collection in the summer. I have a 2005 E200 Kompressor heading my way shortly so I asked the question ....... Will you insure me on a 12 year old car? Answer ..... as long as the car has a valid NCT certificate we will insure it. Then I got a quote of €380.00 TPF&T.

I've said it many, many times, go to AXA for your car insurance if you have something older or classic.

Job done .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I reinsured my 1995 E200 as my daily driver today with absolutely no age issues. I've had it 5 years now and this is the last year I'm using it as a daily as I'll be adding her to the collection in the summer. I have a 2005 E200 Kompressor heading my way shortly so I asked the question ....... Will you insure me on a 12 year old car? Answer ..... as long as the car has a valid NCT certificate we will insure it. Then I got a quote of €380.00 TPF&T.

I've said it many, many times, go to AXA for your car insurance if you have something older or classic.

Job done .......

Glad the Merc still in use...PM me if u ever have delay getting thru to our branch

Job done .......

Any contact at AXA?

Any contact at AXA?

Me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I tried AXA for a classic quote a few years ago and they quoted me silly money for a limited mileage policy, c.€700 versus the €180 I got it for with First Ireland (I'm now with Autoline)

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Me...

Which is the best way to contact you?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

from reading posts on here it does appear to be possible to get classic insurance without a daily driver. Not sure how but has been stated on boards many times.

Which is the best way to contact you?

Pm sent with info

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Pm sent with info

Got it. Thanks. I replied to your message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If you have a classic policy without a daily driver, do you lose your No Claims Bonus?

Hi everybody, I post my situation in case anybody here can help me...

About me...

Full EU driving license since 1996
    Been living in Ireland for 1.5 years.
    No history as a driver in Ireland.
    Live in Dublin.
    Clean NCB from an EU country from 1 year ago.

About the car...

Nissan Patrol SWB LHD
    Engine size 3.3l
    Year of manufacturing: 1988
    Private and very seldom use in the weekends.

Anybody can help or knows someone?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

Hi everybody, I post my situation in case anybody here can help me...

About me...

Full EU driving license since 1996
    Been living in Ireland for 1.5 years.
    No history as a driver in Ireland.
    Live in Dublin.
    Clean NCB from an EU country from 1 year ago.

About the car...

Nissan Patrol SWB LHD
    Engine size 3.3l
    Year of manufacturing: 1988
    Private and very seldom use in the weekends.

Anybody can help or knows someone?

Many thanks.

Hi,
    Try the Irish Vintage Society: http://www.irishvintagesociety.ie/rates/
    They have a group scheme with FBD that covers older 4x4 vehicles. I don't know if they require you to have another (main) vehicle or not, but you can give them a call. They are usually very helpful. Call the FBD Wexford office if you can, they seem to be the ones who deal with vintage insurance.

pryantcc wrote: »
    Hi,
    Try the Irish Vintage Society: http://www.irishvintagesociety.ie/rates/
    They have a group scheme with FBD that covers older 4x4 vehicles. I don't know if they require you to have another (main) vehicle or not, but you can give them a call. They are usually very helpful. Call the FBD Wexford office if you can, they seem to be the ones who deal with vintage insurance.

This is great information. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

hi5 wrote: »
    If you have a classic policy without a daily driver, do you lose your No Claims Bonus?

AFAIK a classic policy doesnt use a NCB so yes it would lapse after two years.

• Advertisement

phester28 wrote: »
    from reading posts on here it does appear to be possible to get classic insurance without a daily driver. Not sure how but has been stated on boards many times.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

phester28 wrote: »

Just because its stated here doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I would guess there are a few who daily drive a classic car but not necessarily on a "classic policy", perhaps a few have slipped under the radar, aren't being fully honest or do in actual fact only have a classic policy without a main policy.

Iv company car only now having sold my private daily, want to try and insure classic using NCB. Will insure as normal to keep NCB if needed

Just because its stated here doesn't make it right.

Maybe, but can anybody here with just a vintage car policy explain their case?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

1) In UK, not an issue. Depends on the insurer, but possible.

2) In Ireland, First Ireland had a scheme for up to 10k miles, but if you search further, it appears to be closed to new policies.

Rather than all this speculation and hearsay, it'd be far more productive to get on the phone and put all these questions to brokers and insurers, as they'll be the ones that'll have the final say.

macplaxton wrote: »
    1) In UK, not an issue. Depends on the insurer, but possible.

2) In Ireland, First Ireland had a scheme for up to 10k miles, but if you search further, it appears to be closed to new policies.

Rather than all this speculation and hearsay, it'd be far more productive to get on the phone and put all these questions to brokers and insurers, as they'll be the ones that'll have the final say.

I will give First Ireland a shout tomorrow

liam7831 wrote: »
    I will give First Ireland a shout tomorrow

Please, let us know about your findings.

Please, let us know about your findings.

Will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Chill/Axa have a limited mileage policy for cars used sparingly, mentions modified cars so maybe classics are included.

https://www.chill.ie/car-insurance/modified/

"Using your car sparingly – some insurers even offer a limited mileage policy. Many car owners only use their modified vehicle for special outings, preferring a another car for day-to-day usage."

Advertisement