Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Please, let us know about your findings.

They don't insure Japanese manufacturers cars even though my car is not a Jap import, joke of a company

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

liam7831 wrote: »
    They don't insure Japanese manufacturers cars even though my car is not a Jap import, joke of a company

Many thanks. I am already contacting other insurers.

Looks like i will go with Axa with a mileage limit of 3500kms year

Looks like i will go with Axa with a mileage limit of 3500kms year

Did you go with a broker?

Did you go with a broker?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

All,

Having serious issues insuring a Japanese import I have.

94 nissan silvia
    2ltr turbo
    Jap import.

Im 27, full licence driver, 4 years driving, 3 no claims (lost a year for changing insurance mid policy).

So far I've been met by a wall of "We dont insure Japanese cars as classics" . Haven't had much luck going down the reduced mileage policy either and got the "you have to be over 30".

Any suggestions welcome.

Peter T wrote: »
    All,

94 nissan silvia
    2ltr turbo
    Jap import.

Im 27, full licence driver, 4 years driving, 3 no claims (lost a year for changing insurance mid policy).

So far I've been met by a wall of "We dont insure Japanese cars as classics" . Haven't had much luck going down the reduced mileage policy either and got the "you have to be over 30".

Any suggestions welcome.

Think most companies require the car to be 25yrs old to be classified as a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Think most companies require the car to be 25yrs old to be classified as a classic

They do indeed but some cover from 20

They do indeed but some cover from 20

Most of them don't cover any type of Jap car such as First Ireland

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do you already have a policy? If so, the year shouldn't make much of a difference. However I I've had a classic policy for nearly 10 years, and i couldn't get insurance on a MX5. Was looking at a 1994 MX5 and insurance co said no way. Managed to insure a 2.8 1998 Z3 instead with ease!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Some companies do classic from 15 years but it's almost impossible now for anything Japanese, not to mention high powered machines - even if you're 50 with 10+ years NCB.

One option for you is Autoline, but you must have another main car as daily driver and you must have a driveway - public road parking is not an option.

Good luck and let us know if you have any success, or Silvia may be bound for the track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Does anyone know the rain it's so hard to insure Japanese cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

jozi wrote: »
    Does anyone know the rain it's so hard to insure Japanese cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Kace wrote: »
    Some companies do classic from 15 years but it's almost impossible now for anything Japanese, not to mention high powered machines - even if you're 50 with 10+ years NCB.

One option for you is Autoline, but you must have another main car as daily driver and you must have a driveway - public road parking is not an option.

Good luck and let us know if you have any success, or Silvia may be bound for the track.

I am with Autoline on my 99 e36. Once I said I had a lockable secure garage they insisted it be kept in there at night. The garage is behind an 8 foot wall and locked gates but AL wanted it physically put into the garage every night, no exceptions.

Have you got the E36 as main car or second car with them?

The renewal for mine is coming up and I need to get shopping around for a better policy

Have you got the E36 as main car or second car with them?

The renewal for mine is coming up and I need to get shopping around for a better policy

2nd. I have a volvo S60 as my daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I am with Autoline on my 99 e36. Once I said I had a lockable secure garage they insisted it be kept in there at night. The garage is behind an 8 foot wall and locked gates but AL wanted it physically put into the garage every night, no exceptions.

Hmm, my 98 E36 is on a classic policy with Autoline and they didn't have any parking restrictions :confused: Driveway was good enough. Maybe it's area related?

shietpilot wrote: »
    Hmm, my 98 E36 is on a classic policy with Autoline and they didn't have any parking restrictions :confused: Driveway was good enough. Maybe it's area related?

It was when I said I had a garage that she insisted it be used. Maybe it reduced the premium or something.

Do you mind me asking what they charge you? PM if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just added the lancia y to my classic policy.
    20 quid was the charge.
    Cheers autoline.

My E36 is my only car. I might try them anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

All,

94 nissan silvia
    2ltr turbo
    Jap import.

Any suggestions welcome.

Campion ins in portlaoise quoted me 350 tpft on a non turbo skyline a few years back.

I have been quoted 4,220 euros for a LHD Nissan Patrol 3.3l from 1988. This is nonsense.

I have no history since I am from the EU.

I would like to use the car only in the weekends. Any suggestions?

I have been quoted 4,220 euros for a LHD Nissan Patrol 3.3l from 1988. This is nonsense.

I have no history since I am from the EU.

I would like to use the car only in the weekends. Any suggestions?

What you using during the week?

What you using during the week?

Public transport.
    I don't need a car during the week. Only need it in the weekends.

Public transport.
    I don't need a car during the week. Only need it in the weekends.

I would not hold out much hope so

I would not hold out much hope so

Well, I have a friend in Germany. I will ask him if there are any insurers willing to insure a car in Ireland. Many thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

My E36 is my only car. I might try them anyway

How did you get on. I have an e36 1998 coming up for renewal. I think that you may loose your NCB after 2 years as afaik a classic policy does not accrue NCB. Obviously if you have a daily driver then this is not the case.

phester28 wrote: »
    How did you get on. I have an e36 1998 coming up for renewal. I think that you may loose your NCB after 2 years as afaik a classic policy does not accrue NCB. Obviously if you have a daily driver then this is not the case.

No NCB on a classic? I was hoping mine might drop a bit this year. I've a sealed moneybox and I am dropping every €2 coin I have between now and June to cover tax and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jjenkinson

Hi folks,

I've been driving for over 30 years and had standard 3rd party insurance in NZ in about 2005 (for a 1971 Merc).

I would like to get classic insurance on a 1988 XJ40. It doesn't have to be classic insurance - if I can get normal insurance at non-insane rate, I'm happy to do that.
    The car is also mechanically sound, and safe, so I've no problem if I need to get it checked and certified, or whatever.

I'm currently listed on a friend's insurance, since October last year. I don't have any other car or policy.

I live near the city and work form home, so I won't be commuting, and the car is really for weekend trips, possibly car club outings, and of course the odd trip to the shops.

There are so many brokers/companies out there - can anyone narrow it down to one or two that might actually be able to help?

I've filled in countless online forms and only had one quote a few weeks ago when I was looking at buying a 2004 car. Ridiculous would be the only word to describe it, as they quoted 2900 for third party/fire/theft and 2700 for full cover (providing I could prove my last insurance from 2005).

It's all getting a bit frustrating..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I came back from NZ/OZ 2 years ago. Had same issues as you. The insurance/tax on your classic will only be 200 so you only choice is to get a small car and get normal insurance. I was paying around 2500 ( chill insurance is a good broker) and now down to 1000.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement