Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Try Dolmen Insurance they have a good deal on insurance for people named on others policies.

A lot of the others won't touch you unless you have your own cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

***Hoping for help***

I am looking to insure a 1983 Land Rover County 88' as a primary car. I will do very little milage with it as I am named on my wives car which we normally share, we both work from home. I am having real difficulty getting a quote and it seems that I must get another 'primary' car and then take out classic insurance. Does anyone know who will offer a quote for straight insurance on the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

***Hoping for help***

I am looking to insure a 1983 Land Rover County 88' as a primary car. I will do very little milage with it as I am named on my wives car which we normally share, we both work from home. I am having real difficulty getting a quote and it seems that I must get another 'primary' car and then take out classic insurance. Does anyone know who will offer a quote for straight insurance on the vehicle?

Transfer Land Rover to the wife.
    The wife takes out classic insurance on Land Rover.
    The wife names you on classic insurance policy.
    blackiebest1 is now happy.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Be sure to clarify if the jeep -
    as private or commercial vehicle if you are gaining insurance

I’ve seen policies cancelled for non-declaring commercial jeeps,as different rules for non-cars

Best of luck.. stick up a photo of this beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

Transfer Land Rover to the wife.
    The wife takes out classic insurance on Land Rover.
    The wife names you on classic insurance policy.
    blackiebest1 is now happy.

Was ringing up about quotes last week, Carol Nash will do this if you are married and a named driver on your spouces main policy (as they still require a main vehicle for named drivers on vintage policies).

Campion do open drive on theirs, so if the vintage car/policy is in your wife's name, you can use it provided you have a full license, her permission to use the car, etc.

• Advertisement

oknepop wrote: »
    Was ringing up about quotes last week, Carol Nash will do this if you are married and a named driver on your spouces main policy (as they still require a main vehicle for named drivers on vintage policies).

Campion do open drive on theirs, so if the vintage car/policy is in your wife's name, you can use it provided you have a full license, her permission to use the car, etc.

Yep. That’s it exactly. I’m with Campion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭hometruths

Does anyone know are Campion 20+ years or 25+ years for age of car? I have a couple of classics with Carole Nash, but if I could get open driving I'd be tempted to buy a 20 year old Volvo/Merc for occasional use when in laws come to visit etc.

schmittel wrote: »
    Does anyone know are Campion 20+ years or 25+ years for age of car? I have a couple of classics with Carole Nash, but if I could get open driving I'd be tempted to buy a 20 year old Volvo/Merc for occasional use when in laws come to visit etc.

Campion are 20+ years for classic insurance. Got mine on a 21 yr old car last month.
    Open driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 callumco

First Ireland are 15 years for Mercs, BMW, Audi and Porsche, but not sure if that's grandfathered for existing customers or still available for new customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Campion are 20+ years for classic insurance. Got mine on a 21 yr old car last month.
    Open driving.

20+ years for all marques? Or have they the usual Jap ban.

• Advertisement

20+ years for all marques? Or have they the usual Jap ban.

I stand to be corrected but when I was chatting to them they would only insure Japanese brand cars on a non "open driving" basis, anything else was open driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Hello all,

Had a bit of a weird one today.

Got a quote for 280 off Carole Nash fully comprehensive, based in my home in Laois (28, named driver on girlfriends car). That was fine until I went to pay for it and mentioned I might stay at my Girlfriends house in Dublin a night or two a week. Suddenly my coverage options went from comprehensive to third party only. Further stipulated that if the car was stolen anywhere apart from my home house, it would not be covered.

Is this normal?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

That defeats the purpose of fully comprehensive. I has some difficulty obtaining classic insurance due to the fact that my wife had a small accident in December with the main car, neither AXA or first Ireland would quote at all but Carole Nash quoted €450 for fully compressive and campion quoted €220 for third party fire and theft (they wouldn't offer fully comp)
    When Carole Nash called back today to see if I'll take the quote I told them that I had a quote for literally half and they immediately matched it but with fully comp.
    Goes to show that you should never take the first quote that a company gives you.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    That defeats the purpose of fully comprehensive. I has some difficulty obtaining classic insurance due to the fact that my wife had a small accident in December with the main car, neither AXA or first Ireland would quote at all but Carole Nash quoted €450 for fully compressive and campion quoted €220 for third party fire and theft (they wouldn't offer fully comp)
    When Carole Nash called back today to see if I'll take the quote I told them that I had a quote for literally half and they immediately matched it but with fully comp.
    Goes to show that you should never take the first quote that a company gives you.

I didn’t take first quote, went through the haggling got some off it, but then once I mentioned Dublin, that was it! I’m going to shop around anyways while I’m in the cooling off period

You shouldn't have to read you're policy fine print to see where you can bring you're car where it'll be covered

You shouldn't have to read you're policy fine print to see where you can bring you're car where it'll be covered
    That’s true, I was pretty shocked. The fact I couldn’t even take it for a night away somewhere without fear of theft? The policy was underwritten by AGEAS.

Just a take away from anyone glancing through, I’m named on another policy and got third party insurance through Carol Nash.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LemmyKilmister

If a friend includes me as a driver on his regular policy, will I be able to insure my 30 year old Nissan Patrol as a classic with Autoline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I believe you must have a 'daily policy' in your own name. No harm in asking, they're a friendly enough bunch, quick enough to reply by email too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

If a friend includes me as a driver on his regular policy, will I be able to insure my 30 year old Nissan Patrol as a classic with Autoline?
    I also would like to know as i am in the same position getting cover on my classic . I

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Doubt it.:(:

Changes are coming this year regarding vintage and classic cars as new regulations for NCT testing are introduced by the E.U.:(

Some rumours say a "classic" will have to be 40 years old!!

Good news is that all insurers in the E.U. can quote for cover here so at least a bit of competittion at last.:D

• Advertisement

Autoline confirmed I need a daily driver under my name.

Any alternative?

It's a 30 year old car I will be using mostly in the weekends within a very limited range.

Campion or Carole Nash require a daily car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MrCostington

John Dough wrote: »
    Doubt it.:(:

Changes are coming this year regarding vintage and classic cars as new regulations for NCT testing are introduced by the E.U.:(

Some rumours say a "classic" will have to be 40 years old!!

Do you have a source for this?

Will this just affect NCT requirements, or insurance, or the E56 tax rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Do you have a source for this?

Will this just affect NCT requirements, or insurance, or the E56 tax rate?

Wouldn't mind an answer for this too. My car isn't ready for the road or test, and won't be 30 years old for another 2 years, but if it's true, if I could have it ready before these new regulations you talk of come in, would I get on the books, for want of better words, before things change? Even so, would that make a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Autoline confirmed I need a daily driver under my name.

Any alternative?

It's a 30 year old car I will be using mostly in the weekends within a very limited range.

What about a motor bike policy.

I have an 00 Alfa 156 that was my daily until 2014. Have been hanging onto to it because it is worth peanuts but too good to scrap. Was planning on insuring it as classic at 20 years old but the missus has just told she's sick looking at it, either insure it or scrap it! Anybody know of a firm who might look favourably on an 18 year old Alfa?

I have an 00 Alfa 156 that was my daily until 2014. Have been hanging onto to it because it is worth peanuts but too good to scrap. Was planning on insuring it as classic at 20 years old but the missus has just told she's sick looking at it, either insure it or scrap it! Anybody know of a firm who might look favourably on an 18 year old Alfa?

You'll have to do what I did with the avantime. After getting sick of the wife annoying me about it I moved it to a frends house. Out of sight out of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MrCostington

You'll have to do what I did with the avantime. After getting sick of the wife annoying me about it I moved it to a frends house. Out of sight out of mind.
    I misread that and thought you had moved to the friend's house!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

First Ireland told me last week if I moved my classic policy to them they'd let me insure a 17 yr old Merc for an extra 150 quid.

I had a classic policy with them about 11 years ago, not sure if that helped me.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    First Ireland told me last week if I moved my classic policy to them they'd let me insure a 17 yr old Merc for an extra 150 quid.

I had a classic policy with them about 11 years ago, not sure if that helped me.

Thanks, that's good to know, I will give them a call.

Advertisement