Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

commited wrote: »
    Has anyone added a 15yo car with First Ireland recently? I have the legacy policy etc...

I think they still let you. I have had 6 or 7 cars over 15y but under 20y with them on the same legacy classic policy over the last decade, but the last youngtimer I added was over 2 years ago. I don't know if they have changed policy since. I guess you will have to ring them

Great policy it is though. I added another classic (over 30y) that I brought in yesterday and they charged me something like €30 full comp until renewal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

unkel wrote: »
    I think they still let you. I have had 6 or 7 cars over 15y but under 20y with them on the same legacy classic policy over the last decade, but the last youngtimer I added was over 2 years ago. I don't know if they have changed policy since. I guess you will have to ring them

Great policy it is though. I added another classic (over 30y) that I brought in yesterday and they charged me something like €30 full comp until renewal :)

From their page here : https://www.firstireland.ie/personal/classic/index.php
    We offer a simple and cheap classic car insurance and vintage car insurance in Ireland for cars aged 20 years and over.

And more here: https://www.firstireland.ie/personal/classic/index.php

Yeah, I know. But commited and myself (and no doubt many others) have a legacy classic car policy with First Ireland that let us insure any 15 year old car mostly from premium makes (as long as it wasn't Japanese or in any other way popular with boy racers) on a classic policy.

I've had €400 bangernomics E46 cars covered under this policy. Fully comp. For next to zero money.

Handy that. When you say legacy, do you mean a policy you have held of a long time?

That policy hasn't been available to new business / new customers for many years now. But if you were on the old policy, they let you renew it and even change car or add cars on the old terms. I've no intention of ever letting this policy lapse :p

• Advertisement

Too right. Be madness to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

I think Autoline give a different schpeel for everyone, I just took out a policy with them, 29, car is 15 years old and is a UK import Jap marque.
    Simona1986 wrote: »
    Www.iveta.ie vintage cars, jeeps and vans policies are 220e for 20-24 year vehicles or 125e once over 25

So you need a daily insured car and third party only for E125 not bad!!
    Any other stipulations like engineers test ,NCT and tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

John Dough wrote: »
    So you need a daily insured car and third party only for E125 not bad!!
    Any other stipulations like engineers test ,NCT and tax.

Nope.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Anyone know if they cover Japanese imports ? Any companies that do have said you have to be over 30 for a new policy

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Peter T wrote: »
    Anyone know if they cover Japanese imports ? Any companies that do have said you have to be over 30 for a new policy

I don’t think they do - at least this was the last I heard a couple of years ago.

Which company said that they would cover Jap of over 30 for new policies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I had been onto autoline, first Ireland and was in contact with a broker also. Was trying to insure a 94 jap s14 but was getting the response of "You have to be over 30 to insure one of them" or that they dont cover Japanese imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I'm looking to put my 97 Prelude back on the road for the summer. I'm gonna try First Ireland for a quote because I've heard they're the only company that will insure a Japanese car as a classic.

Do I still need to be a member of a classic car club in order to get a quote? I have two policies in my own name already but I've never had classic insurance.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

You will have to ring them and ask. In the past, when you started a new classic policy with them, they demanded proof you were in a classic car club. But they never checked again at renewal time. And sometimes they need proof of NCT and bizarrely, motor tax!

I'm not so sure if they insure Japanese cars though, but Autoline definitely will

You will have to ring them and ask. In the past, when you started a new classic policy with them, they demanded proof you were in a classic car club. But they never checked again at renewal time. And sometimes they need proof of NCT and bizarrely, motor tax!

I'm not so sure if they insure Japanese cars though, but Autoline definitely will

That's great info, thank you very much. Are Autoline the crowd up the North?

My car has been in storage for three years now and doesn't have an NCT or any tax. This could be tricky!

Yeah Autoline are in the North afaik

About the no NCT and no tax, an insurance company most likely will give you a bit of time to get that sorted (giving you insurance in the mean time, so you can drive it around to get it tested, etc.)

Yeah Autoline are in the North afaik

About the no NCT and no tax, an insurance company most likely will give you a bit of time to get that sorted (giving you insurance in the mean time, so you can drive it around to get it tested, etc.)
    That's what I was hoping. It should sail through the NCT, I've done lots of work to it over the past year.
    Thanks again for your help.

I'm looking to put my 97 Prelude back on the road for the summer. I'm gonna try First Ireland for a quote because I've heard they're the only company that will insure a Japanese car as a classic.

Do I still need to be a member of a classic car club in order to get a quote? I have two policies in my own name already but I've never had classic insurance.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

No they will give you a quote without membership but if you are a vintage member you get a better rate.

No they will give you a quote without membership but if you are a vintage member you get a better rate.
    That's interesting, I found a club in Cavan that are giving out memberships for €25. I couldn't find a JDM specific one online. Do you know of any good clubs I could join please?

That's interesting, I found a club in Cavan that are giving out memberships for €25. I couldn't find a JDM specific one online. Do you know of any good clubs I could join please?

You could try www.IVETA.ie they have a special insurance deal with FBD and you can download a application form membership is €25 also they have all sorts of vintage vehicles /tractors on their books. Insurance figures on the app form.
    ;)

You could try www.IVETA.ie they have a special insurance deal with FBD and you can download a application form membership is €25 also they have all sorts of vintage vehicles /tractors on their books. Insurance figures on the app form.
    ;)

I don't think FBD do Japanese cars though unfortunately. Only Autoline will from what I've heard.

• Advertisement

Not First Ireland in my experience. They will give you a quote, you sign up and pay but the deal is only valid if you prove your club membership. Any classic club goes.

Got a policy this morning from Autoline. 3k miles, fully comp, €290. I'm delighted, thanks for your help lads.

Got a policy this morning from Autoline. 3k miles, fully comp, €290. I'm delighted, thanks for your help lads.

Nice Job BTW did they ask about club membership.

Nice Job BTW did they ask about club membership.

They did indeed but said it didn't matter if I wasn't in one.
    Strangely enough, they just believed me when I said I had two other policies, no proof required.

It's hard to believe that the road tax is gonna cost 4 times as much as the insurance though.

Nice work!

I take it you also rang First Ireland and they wouldn't quote for Japanese cars?

Nice work!

I take it you also rang First Ireland and they wouldn't quote for Japanese cars?

I didn't bother with them tbh, I've been shot down by so many companies in the South that I just went straight to Autoline because I knew they'd quote me.
    I was very happy with their price and cover so I just took it straight away. I can't believe I'll have my car back on the road so soon. I'm gonna tax it and book it's NCT tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I didn't bother with them tbh, I've been shot down by so many companies in the South that I just went straight to Autoline because I knew they'd quote me.
    I was very happy with their price and cover so I just took it straight away. I can't believe I'll have my car back on the road so soon. I'm gonna tax it and book it's NCT tomorrow.

Yeah as long as you have a garage or driveway Autoline are great. They couldn’t cover me for having the car parked on a public street unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hi all, I’m trying to get my first classic quote but having a bit of trouble. Carol Nash, campion, first Ireland, axa, autoline have all refused based on the car, a standard Impreza wrx. Autoline would have quoted if I was 30 but I’m late 20’s.

The car is completely standard and I have zero claims, penalty points, medical conditions etc, and the car would be on private property in the countryside. Is there anyone else I can try or am I out of luck? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I would suggest you GO INTO your local FBD office, and discuss it with them, they are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

mattroche wrote: »
    I would suggest you GO INTO your local FBD office, and discuss it with them, they are pretty good.

Thanks, I’ll give it a go.

Advertisement