Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

mattroche wrote: »
    I would suggest you GO INTO your local FBD office, and discuss it with them, they are pretty good.

No good, she said they don’t do any jap or high performance cars? Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Is the WRX a second car? What sort of quotes did you get for "normal" insurance?

Is the WRX a second car? What sort of quotes did you get for "normal" insurance?

Yeah it would be just a weekend car. I didn’t bother looking for normal quotes because I wouldn’t be able to use my no claims, which is on my daily car. (Which is also high performance, but had no problems insuring that)

It’s really frustrating, especially when the car is un-modified and I have a clean record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Ciano35 wrote: »
    high performance cars?

FBD is a joke anyhow. The last time, I tried to quote them, they had the cheek of telling me that an E39 BMW 525d was a high performance car. I guess they only like tractors, 4x4s and Nissan Micras.

/M

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Yeah it would be just a weekend car. I didn’t bother looking for normal quotes because I wouldn’t be able to use my no claims, which is on my daily car. (Which is also high performance, but had no problems insuring that)

It’s really frustrating, especially when the car is un-modified and I have a clean record.

Quote Devil mirrored my no claims bonus for me and I was able to insure two cars at once with my other half named on one.
    It might be worth asking your company if they'll do the same for you.

• Advertisement

Quote Devil mirrored my no claims bonus for me and I was able to insure two cars at once with my other half named on one.
    It might be worth asking your company if they'll do the same for you.

I asked my company about that and they had no idea what I was talking about!

So I’ve tried fbd, carol Nash, campion, axa, first Ireland and autoline, and they’ve all said no to an un-modified car and a driver with a perfect history. I guess I’m out of luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Its a pain in the ass. Do you have rejection letters or emails from 3 of them ? you could go to the insurance ombudsman

Peter T wrote: »
    Its a pain in the ass. Do you have rejection letters or emails from 3 of them ? you could go to the insurance ombudsman

Could be worth a try, can you do that for classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I got in contact with them in the past and the response they gave was it applies to all insurance policies. I never went any further with it as I ended up selling the car

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

I'm in a similar position at the minute. Have my license 5 years and 4 years no claims bonus on my daily car. Trying to get insured on a nice petrol car for weekends and what not but no where is quoting me. Classic insurance is out of the equation as I'm 23 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

It's mad, it's easier to get a quote to daily drive a high performance car than to get a limited mileage one just for weekends. The one thing I'm jealous of the UK about.

My father tried them and can get insurance on it for 280. But I can't even get a quote because I'm a couple of years away from 30 even though I have a perfect driving record.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Does named driver situation still work or is that gone years ago? Like I could get someone over 25 to insure it as a classic and put me as a named driver but does that person have to be beside me at all times or does this that even possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

E46Dream wrote: »
    Does named driver situation still work or is that gone years ago? Like I could get someone over 25 to insure it as a classic and put me as a named driver but does that person have to be beside me at all times or does this that even possible?

I had the option to add a named driver to my policy, but not sure if age restriction still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Has the requirement for a classic car club membership number become a real thing in the last couple of years?

Chap from First Ireland asked me was I in a club. I told him I wasn't, he said it didnt matter and went ahead and quoted. Now when I've paid for the policy he asks me to return a few documents including a proof of club membership!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

Agricola wrote: »
    Has the requirement for a classic car club membership number become a real thing in the last couple of years?

Chap from First Ireland asked me was I in a club. I told him I wasn't, he said it didnt matter and went ahead and quoted. Now when I've paid for the policy he asks me to return a few documents including a proof of club membership!

I got a letter from FBD this year saying that they needed the number before renewal. Previously, they never asked for it, but the documentation said it was a requirement. The renewal letter that they sent this year sounded like they were getting serious about classic policies being used for every day driving.

I do use my classic every day for commuting, etc. I found a crowd in Dun Laoghaire who would cover both my 1984 everyday classic and the wife's 171 VW people carrier on the one policy. Fully comprehensive on both cars. There are extra allowances for the higher cost of repairing the classic in the case of an accident. Some nice extras like european breakdown, agreed values in the case of a claim. Full business policies, so it doesn't matter if you use the vehicles in the course of your work. Not cheap though. 1400 Euro a year.
    http://bprivateinsurances.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

pryantcc wrote: »
    I got a letter from FBD this year saying that they needed the number before renewal. Previously, they never asked for it, but the documentation said it was a requirement. The renewal letter that they sent this year sounded like they were getting serious about classic policies being used for every day driving.

I do use my classic every day for commuting, etc. I found a crowd in Dun Laoghaire who would cover both my 1984 everyday classic and the wife's 171 VW people carrier on the one policy. Fully comprehensive on both cars. There are extra allowances for the higher cost of repairing the classic in the case of an accident. Some nice extras like european breakdown, agreed values in the case of a claim. Full business policies, so it doesn't matter if you use the vehicles in the course of your work. Not cheap though. 1400 Euro a year.
    http://bprivateinsurances.com/

I don't see what difference using it every day makes to the insurer as long as you honour the terms of the policy, ie staying within the agreed limited mileage, not using it for anything bar social/domestic purposes etc. It's not as if there's some enforceable law which states the car can only travel to and from car shows and only on Sundays!

Just an update on this membership number thing for anyone who finds themselves in the same boat. I found a thread on Backroads where a guy mentioned that he had a profile on BMWdriver.net and as proof of club membership for his classic policy, sent in his profile's unique account number (straight from the URL!) The broker accepted this! Sounds reasonable to me.
    BMWDriver has meets and shows throughout the year, no money may have exchanged hands, but it could be a club membership of sorts all the same!
    I've been on that site for years, so Im going to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

Agricola wrote: »
    It's not as if there's some enforceable law which states the car can only travel to and from car shows and only on Sundays!

It's not about the law, it's about the insurer clearly stating what kinds of use is covered. If you go to claim for an accident that happened on your way to work, they can just point to the documentation and tell you to PFO!

I do about 10 times the allowed mileage on the FBD policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AudiVW1

Help please!
    My father has always had classic cars and I have always been around them and caught the bug! I then bought a 1985 merc 190d 2.0 earlier this year and have done a huge amount of work on it and have it nct'd. My problem now is nobody will insure me as I am 21. Have my full licence since I am 17.5yrs, named driver for first 3 years and I'm now in my second year on my own policy. Never had a crash or claim and never had any penalty points. I am a genuine enthusiast and will genuinely only be using the car to go to shows and classic car runs. I'm a member of a classic car club but still the problem remains....NOBODY will insure me. This surely doesn't seem fair as its pushing the younger crowd out of the classic car scene for genuine enthusiasts. Any thoughts anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

AudiVW1 wrote: »
    Help please!
    My father has always had classic cars and I have always been around them and caught the bug! I then bought a 1985 merc 190d 2.0 earlier this year and have done a huge amount of work on it and have it nct'd. My problem now is nobody will insure me as I am 21. Have my full licence since I am 17.5yrs, named driver for first 3 years and I'm now in my second year on my own policy. Never had a crash or claim and never had any penalty points. I am a genuine enthusiast and will genuinely only be using the car to go to shows and classic car runs. I'm a member of a classic car club but still the problem remains....NOBODY will insure me. This surely doesn't seem fair as its pushing the younger crowd out of the classic car scene for genuine enthusiasts. Any thoughts anyone?

Normally need to be 25 for classic insurance.
    Only chance is as a named driver (maybe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 AudiVW1

deckie27 wrote: »
    Normally need to be 25 for classic insurance.
    Only chance is as a named driver (maybe)

Even tried that but named drivers need to be over 25 too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

AudiVW1 wrote: »
    ...NOBODY will insure me. This surely doesn't seem fair as its pushing the younger crowd out of the classic car scene for genuine enthusiasts. Any thoughts anyone?

Someone will insure you...for €€€€€€€.

Alternative is to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 relistan

I'm really struggling to find anyone who will insure me for a classic car. I'm American and have been in Ireland for 3 years, have a full Irish licence for 2 years (been driving for 25 yrs), and am a named driver on my wife's policy for our only car.

She has a full 5 years no claims discount and a full Irish licence which she transferred to from a full UK licence. We live in Dublin and I work from home so there is no reason for us to have a second car. The classic is just for fun because it's one of my major hobbies and she is a classic enthusiast, too. What I've encountered with the companies I've spoken to so far is that no one will even talk to us with me as a named driver on a classic policy because I don't have another car in my name. So far I can't find anyone even willing to take any amount of money to do it. If you have anyone you know will write a policy under those conditions, I'd very much appreciate the help.

I've spoken to:
    Carole Nash
    Campion
    Axa
    First Ireland
    Liberty (insurer on our other car, but they won't insure classics)

@ Relistan
    Give Autoline a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

relistan wrote: »
    no one will even talk to us with me as a named driver on a classic policy because I don't have another car in my name.

Normally this is not a problem with First Ireland. It applies to me too. I am a named driver on the main family car (insured in my wife's name) and I am the insured on my classic car (with my wife being a named driver on my classic)

What car is it you are trying to insure? Or maybe that's the problem if you don't mention any specific car yet.

unkel wrote: »
    Normally this is not a problem with First Ireland. It applies to me too. I am a named driver on the main family car (insured in my wife's name) and I am the insured on my classic car (with my wife being a named driver on my classic)

What car is it you are trying to insure? Or maybe that's the problem if you don't mention any specific car yet.

I haven't bought a car yet, but quoting a 1966 Rover 2000 (P6) SE. I don't want to buy a car I can't insure or can't afford to insure, so trying to do this first. First Ireland definitely won't write a new policy under my circumstances. Talked to them today. :(

@ Relistan
    Give Autoline a shout.

Just talked to them after your suggestion. Like everyone else I've talked to, all named drivers on their classic policies must be the insured (not a named driver) on another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Another option is to become the main driver on the family car with your wife being the main driver. This is generally not a bad idea to swap every year or two years as you will both build up further no claims bonus and you will both maintain a NCB in your own name. If you have a NCB in your own name, but stop having insurance in your own name for over 2 years, your NCB is lost, as a lot of people found out the hard way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

relistan wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to find anyone who will insure me for a classic car. I'm American and have been in Ireland for 3 years, have a full Irish licence for 2 years (been driving for 25 yrs), and am a named driver on my wife's policy for our only car.

She has a full 5 years no claims discount and a full Irish licence which she transferred to from a full UK licence. We live in Dublin and I work from home so there is no reason for us to have a second car. The classic is just for fun because it's one of my major hobbies and she is a classic enthusiast, too. What I've encountered with the companies I've spoken to so far is that no one will even talk to us with me as a named driver on a classic policy because I don't have another car in my name. So far I can't find anyone even willing to take any amount of money to do it. If you have anyone you know will write a policy under those conditions, I'd very much appreciate the help.

I've spoken to:
    Carole Nash
    Campion
    Axa
    First Ireland
    Liberty (insurer on our other car, but they won't insure classics)
    You are a named driver on your wife's car. Buy your classic in your wife's name. Campion's will insure the classic with open drive ie. driver's 25 to 71 with a full license! Keep us posted!

• Advertisement

KB22 wrote: »
    You are a named driver on your wife's car. Buy your classic in your wife's name. Campion's will insure the classic with open drive ie. driver's 25 to 71 with a full license! Keep us posted!

That's the ticket! I talked to them this morning and that will work. Thanks a LOT!

Advertisement