Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solari

• 30-01-2005 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Reports in Spain claim that Real Madrid's Santiago Solari is inching ever closer to agreeing a move to Manchester United.
    The Argentine wide-man has only six months left on his contract at the Santiago Bernabeu and will thus be eligible to move on a free transfer in the summer.
    Although he is highly-regarded at Real, and a huge favourite of the club's fans, the Spanish giants have been less than forthcoming with the offer of a new deal despite Solari making clear his desire to stay.
    It is now understood that wages are the main impediment to the midfielder remaining at the club, with Real not prepared to match his current salary - believed to be around €3.5 million per season.
    Given Solari's status as an habitual substitute, Real do not feel they can justify handing the player another extravagant contract, which has opened the door to United.
    AS reports that the Premiership outfit have already started negotiations with the South American and claim he is now more likely to move to Old Trafford than stay in the Spanish capital.
    Sir Alex Ferguson has long been linked with Solari who has been mooted as a possible successor to Ryan Giggs whose own long-term future with the club remains in doubt.
    Barcelona were also reportedly interested in signing the former Atletico Madrid star, but were not willing to meet his demands.

That'd be great.
    I'm a huge huge fan of Solari, hopefully we can snag him away from Real Madrid.

I think what United are missing in attack is a third winger, to push the other two for places, something that Solari would instantly do. Ultimately Giggs has to be replaced, so hopefully he'll do it for 2/3 years :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i think a replacement for keane and scholes is more important. keane is 34 in august isnt he? scholes with his medical problem wont have much longer to last.

they probaly only have another season together at most. even then they will play less games next season aswell. If united want to challenge next year, a quality midfilder would be a massive boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I agree, but this guy is good :)

The player I want bought is Aimar, a fantastic buy if I've ever heard of one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Inter reckon they have Solari sewn up , (sky sports website Italy section)

He is free everyones favourite price.
    kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

KdjaC - I thought you were banned !! :D

On topic - Hope he goes to United - quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kida wrote:
    KdjaC - I thought you were banned !! :D

1 week only, until next time of course.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

scholes with his medical problem wont have much longer to last.

Er? :confused:

Anyway, I'd love to see Solari come to United in the summer. Perhaps have Heinze at OT already will help persuade him to come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i bought solari for man utd on CM there last week.he plays very well at left back or left midfield.
    strange how prophetic(sp) that game is..

SteM wrote:
    Er? :confused:

hes diabetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

madrid have offered a 3-yr contract worth 3m a season. so unless he's not happy there and wants out to a better club, he'll probably sign and ruin his career in doing so.

madrid are on the fall, their superstars are creaking with age and they havn't been replaced. if i were solari, id move and get out of a sinking ship.

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=253150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I dont really think he is great to be honest. Only ever been a bit part player at Madrid, granted the competition is tough though. He is no where near in the same class as Giggs. He is also 29 in the Summer, so hes no spring chicken.
    smemon wrote:
    madrid are on the fall, their superstars are creaking with age and they havn't been replaced. if i were solari, id move and get out of a sinking ship.
    [/url]
    They are seven points behind Barcelona in the league, and seven clear of Valencia. Arent they onto their third manager in the last 6/7 months? They are still in the CL yeah? Singing some more of the best players in world football in the Summer. Quick somebody get them a dingy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

From what i heard and liverpool are in the running for him and real are keen for him to go to Liverpool,so they can use this where they hope liverpool will take this into account if Gerrard leaves.

We sold you Morientes and let you talk to Solari so can we be 1st in the line for Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

hes diabetic

Astmathic.

And there's only one club in the signing business these days...Solari is a Yid!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Actually, Fans FC claim he's signed a pre-contract with us... :eek:

smemon wrote:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=253150

thats the biggest load of ****e i have ever read on this forum i think.

figo and zidane are getting old, who else is "creaking"? are they any worse then united for creaking superstars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

They are seven points behind Barcelona in the league, and seven clear of Valencia. Arent they onto their third manager in the last 6/7 months? They are still in the CL yeah? Singing some more of the best players in world football in the Summer. Quick somebody get them a dingy!

compared to the madrid of a few years ago, the form they were in, they cant touch that form atm. their cl form is pretty poor tbh, they made a meal of their handy enough group. 3rd manager in 6/7months speaks for itself, that sounds like a club in trouble to me! look at this, carlos (32 this year), zidane (33 this year), figo (33 this year), all approaching retirement age, lets say 34. i think you'll agree those players are special, world class and cannot be replaced.

when you lose 3 massive 1st teamers like that it will no doubt leave a huge hole in the side. the likes of solari imo do not match that talent and their home-grown youngsters are pretty wishy washy imo, dont look solid or reliable week in week out. beckham, owen, woodgate are good signings but do they really compare to zidane, carlos, figo etc?

you need that world-class element to win trophies (generally), zidane etc gave madrid that. now that their coming to the end of their careers, imo theyve got noone there to offer that world-class element anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

smemon wrote:
    compared to the madrid of a few years ago, the form they were in, they cant touch that form atm. their cl form is pretty poor tbh, they made a meal of their handy enough group. 3rd manager in 6/7months speaks for itself, that sounds like a club in trouble to me! look at this, carlos (32 this year), zidane (33 this year), figo (33 this year), all approaching retirement age, lets say 34. i think you'll agree those players are special, world class and cannot be replaced.

when you lose 3 massive 1st teamers like that it will no doubt leave a huge hole in the side. the likes of solari imo do not match that talent and their home-grown youngsters are pretty wishy washy imo, dont look solid or reliable week in week out. beckham, owen, woodgate are good signings but do they really compare to zidane, carlos, figo etc?

you need that world-class element to win trophies (generally), zidane etc gave madrid that. now that their coming to the end of their careers, imo theyve got noone there to offer that world-class element anymore.

Real madrid apparently have a transfer budget of 169 million euro for this summer. Joaquin, gerrard, robinho and adriano have been heavily linked with them. So has ashley cole. I'd call them world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Chelsea will get Joaquin!
    I think Robinho is almost a done deal for the summer already!

Anyway back on topic!

Solari is a great player, He would easily replace Giggs for a season or two, Giggs is only coming back to some form recently, he hasn't being playing terrific football for the last couple of seasons. Only Fergusons Loyalty to him and the rose colored glasses have kept him in the team IMO.

United do have a much bigger problem though, that is the replacement of Roy Keane. There are really no replacements out there for him, none that would be sold by their teams anyway, Makalele, Viera, Gatusso, Davids are probably the only comparable players (that i can think of right now) and i can't see them being sold too soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

evilhomer wrote:
    Chelsea will get Joaquin!
    I think Robinho is almost a done deal for the summer already!

Anyway back on topic!

Solari is a great player, He would easily replace Giggs for a season or two, Giggs is only coming back to some form recently, he hasn't being playing terrific football for the last couple of seasons. Only Fergusons Loyalty to him and the rose colored glasses have kept him in the team IMO.

United do have a much bigger problem though, that is the replacement of Roy Keane. There are really no replacements out there for him, none that would be sold by their teams anyway, Makalele, Viera, Gatusso, Davids are probably the only comparable players (that i can think of right now) and i can't see them being sold too soon!

Joaquin said he'd prefer to stay in spain. Robinho to madrid is a done deal afaik.
    United might get davids. I don't think hes playing for inter at the moment. He's in his thirtys though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

smemon wrote:
    look at this, carlos (32 this year), zidane (33 this year), figo (33 this year), all approaching retirement age, lets say 34. i think you'll agree those players are special, world class and cannot be replaced.

G. Neville - 30

Ruud Van - 29

Giggs - 32

Keane - 34

Scholes - 30

So on your logic, United will be a spent force within the next 2 years or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

hes diabetic

Maybe someone should tell his doctor - he's being diagnosing asthma for years now!

It's funny because I remember going in to see United play Shels years ago and got talking to a well known football expert on the Dart going there, this was when Scholes coming through IIRC. We were talking about all these younger players United had and I mentioned Scholes and he shook his head and said something along the lines of 'ah, it's a pity about his asthma, sure he'll never be able to play a full game for United it's so bad.'

He's just turned 30, I think he's got a few years left in him yet especially as he's retired from international football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Solari signed a four year contract extension at Real yesterday....... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SteM wrote:

It's funny because I remember going in to see United play Shels years ago and got talking to a well known football expert on the Dart going there, this was when Scholes coming through IIRC. We were talking about all these younger players United had and I mentioned Scholes and he shook his head and said something along the lines of 'ah, it's a pity about his asthma, sure he'll never be able to play a full game for United it's so bad.'

I'm guessing Jim Beglin, right? Can't be Stapo, he wouldn't know what asthma was...

Advertisement