Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guide to buying your first bow

• 30-01-2005 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Created a guide for buying your first bow for ucd, can be seen under Archery section on www.ucd.ie/archery

It was created in word, and web page was generated from that, so its not great format wise, and probably slow to load on a dialup modem.

Suggestions, corrections, ect. welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭baggins

Irritating hobbit correction....
    you spelled etc wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

its not spelt wrong its a local dialect ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Shirt

Wot, no Shibuya? :D

Arguably the best button after Beiter, lasts for ages, fairly cheap... JMHO, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

Spig one is cheaper and just as good really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Does anyone know of a (relatively) cheap way to reduce vibration on the bow? I know there is a wobbely yoke you can get to go on the end of the long-arm but I can't unscrew the metal cap from my long-arm to put it on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭MicS

Adjust the bracing height of the bow by twisting or untwisting the string. You want to get arrows hitting higher on the target, which means the faster arrow, the more energy in the arrow and less energy left in the bow, and therefore quieter shot. The method is completely free and will take about 30-60 minutes of shooting/stringing/twisting. Usually bracing height change is no more than half inch in some direction (or 10 twists of the string).

It is possible to do with almost any bow. If it is still too loud/vibrating, most likely, there is something loose :-) usually the last screw you check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

MicS is right, tuning the bracing height is probably the best way to reduce vibration. A good starting point is usually 8.75 inches from the throat of the grip to the string, and work from there.

Other possibilities are Limb savers which are attached to limbs to reduce vibration. The other possibility is to get some kind of carbon long rod as the carbon, particularly carbon foam can be effective at reducing vibration. I know Cartel do a €30 carbon long rod. Bottom line, ensure its tuned before you start spending cash.

Limbs play a big part in the vibration issue. My old Gold Medalist limbs were like a bomb going off every time I shot. I now have a set of Vectors that are whisper quiet with the same set up. Incidentally, some risers will just naturally transmit more vibration to the hand then others. Just something to consider for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

If your using a Dacron string on a good bow (Metal Riser, Good Limbs) you will have lots of vibration. Try fast flight. DO NOT use FF if its a wooden bow as the wood can not handle the stresses.

If you dont know what string you have and its white, its prob a Dacron string.

Try the brace height thingy that MISC and Trig suggested first. If that does not work get a FF string, There about €12 and its well worth it. Your shot will be far smoother and much less noise and vibration..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

toxof wrote:
    If your using a Dacron string on a good bow (Metal Riser, Good Limbs) you will have lots of vibration. Try fast flight. DO NOT use FF if its a wooden bow as the wood can not handle the stresses.

If you dont know what string you have and its white, its prob a Dacron string.

Try the brace height thingy that MISC and Trig suggested first. If that does not work get a FF string, There about €12 and its well worth it. Your shot will be far smoother and much less noise and vibration..

Yeah I cracked a wooden riser back in the day by using FF on it :)

Would agree with the above, play with the bracing height to reduce noise.

My Spig 2001 has a thread just beneath the handle, i put in a Cartel handle saver or something like that, reduced noise a good bit. Limbsavers will indeed reduce noise, but found it created too much of a dead shot on the Spig. YMMV.

Will try the bracing height adjusting - I like the whole "it will cost nothing" part of it! I have a FF string and the shot itself is pretty quite, my main problem is the limbs wobble a bit more than I'd like after the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭trig

Hmmm
    That could mean that the tiller needs adjusting. I'm not exactly an expert on that. You might find something in the Archers Reference Guide. I'll be talking to Sinéad on wednesday too. She might be able to help as she had to completely reconfigure the tiller on her Aerotec after she got it off David. In the meantime, do the bracing height tuning and give the Reference Guide a glance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

What type of limbs do you have, and what poundage.

Thanks Trig, any help is welcome!

I just got new Vector limbs at 38lbs, the riser is a Matrix. Got a bit of money over Christmas so also just bought a V-bar and stabalizers - I guess its possible that the combination of new limbs and stabalizers need some fine tuning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Ive found that post-shot-wobble can be fixed with just bracing height adjustment. Obviously you want the tillers to be at a reasonable setting, perhaps even at 0, lot of archers over on sagi have found the quietest setting is achieved at 0 tiller.

Please excuse my sillyness (if thats a word) but just to confirm, 0 tiller means no difference in the tiller heights between the upper and lower limbs right?

Advertisement