Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expected wage?

• 30-01-2005 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering what ya'd think would be the minimum acceptable starting wage for a fashion retail employee?

I'm going for an interview with House of Fraser in Dundrum tomorrow and I'm dreading that they might ask me how much I expect. I've got 1 yrs experience in food service with wages from 7 to 7.50 / hr. (Ya I'm a poor student)

Thanks all

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I doubt they'd pay much more than min. wage but then house of fraser are a 'posher' kind of store...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Is it for a full-time of part-time job? Aim high.. then at least you have some chance of getting something above minimum wage. Though if you are part-time there's a high chance you'll hardly get higher than say €8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

I'm going for full time. Kinda hesitant about aiming high tho. Schuh pays its staff somethin like 9 :mad: damn lucky b*tches

WexCan wrote:
    I'm going for full time. Kinda hesitant about aiming high tho. Schuh pays its staff somethin like 9 :mad: damn lucky b*tches
    If full-time definitely ask for say €9.50 then settle for €9 or €8.50 - if you go in expecting a low wage they'll be more than happy to give it to you!

would that be a bit presumptuous if i only have like 1 yrs exp in a different area?

• Advertisement

(my illustrious career includes mcdonalds and an o'briens sandwich bar hmmmm)

nope I don't think so. Be confident in you're ability.. and that you will be an asset etc. they won't think twice about knocking it down..

spose. might jus feed them the "i'm interested in a career in merchandising management and feel that experience on the sales floor will ultimately help me achieve that goal" yada yada. (well it's actually true - i do want a career in merchandising management but meh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tell then that you expect 19k a year.. Let them work out the hourly rate.. It works out as 9.50 or so depending on how many hours a week you do..

Tell then that you expect 19k a year.. Let them work out the hourly rate.. It works out as 9.50 or so depending on how many hours a week you do..

hehe good idea

i think they pay monthly so they might ask me what i expect on average per month or somethin

• Advertisement

(mmmmmmm money)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

I heard an advert somewhere that the Marks and Spncers going in the same shopping centre are paying a rate starting at €8.50 p/h (I think :confused: ) - consering that Marks and spencers also being a UK store of 'a certain standard' you should expect at least that figure for retail work.

I've worked in various call centres over the last couple of years which I'd put on a par with the type of work your going for and starting salaries always start at €9 p/h +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

tbh rates for retail tend to be fixed.... i'm pretty sure they won't ask you what your expected wage is...its more of a take it or leave it. went for an interview with zara and i think the rate was around 9 - 10 yo yo an hour for full time. i'm currently working in retail full time for the rather glamorous 7.60 an hour!! so it all depends i guess....

Heyya,

Jus to let y'all know I got the job - they could only offer 25 hrs but they're offering me €8.65/hr so I'm happy :)

Thanks all (I asked for €9.00 in the intervew BTW)

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

nice one, good going there ...good luck with the job!

samo wrote:
    nice one, good going there ...good luck with the job!
    thanks mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

mmm..Christmas on White..

mmm..Christmas on White..

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

WexCan wrote:
    ??
    ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

??