Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales match 19th march

• 30-01-2005 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Looking to organise a trip over to cardiff for this match (a bit late to start now I realise). Was looking for tickets, and called my uncle who lives in cardiff and goes to all the matches. He figures that as long as wales were not going for the triple crown or GS that it should be possible to roll up on the day outside the stadium and pick them up.

Sounds dodgy to me, but can someone who goes to away matche confirm/deny this.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Everyone I've been talking to says they'll be scarce but sounds like your uncle would know better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Its a possible GS decider.....Wales and Irish fans will be buying them up like hot cakes...i reckon they'll be like gold dust by 19th March...your best bet is contact IRFU or WRU fo ticket details/buy them, if they are unavailable, you can get them off touts on ebay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

I have been away over 25 times and only had tickets twice before I arrived yet got to see every game and never paid more than a price of a pint over the face value. As long as you are not stuck in the one corner of the one pub and go and ask around you'll have no problem. Great stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

hmmm. Luckly enough we plan to visit a couple of pubs before the match! That kind of cofirms what my uncle said, so thanks a million. We are prob going to try and wing it and see what happens. Zak do you know anything about accomodation over there? I was on the net for over an hour looking and seems the whole city is sold out (which makes me worry a bit). Thanks again for the help

I cant go this year but I was there two years ago and we ended up stayingabout 5 miles from town. I generally find that the smaller B&Bs are a better bet as anything on the web tends to sell out. Again many times i have had no accomodation but that is the first thing i suss out when I arrive. If needs be get a bus out of town until you see a couple of B&Bs and then get off bus and go and ask. You can always get taxis back - sleep will be limited no doubt. Some great talent in Cardiff even if quite a number look like robbie savage !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭john_g83

Zakrze wrote:
    Some great talent in Cardiff even if quite a number look like robbie savage !

Cant figure out if you are saying that as a good or bad thing :D
    for the sake of welsh women I hope it's the latter. Thanks for the hints. Wonder how the B&B people would feel about 8 hugely drunk lads rolling back to the house at 4am with some welsh slappers. Guess there is only one way to find out!

As I married man I had no interest but the university team I was with were very successful in their exploits both Irish & Welsh women. The welsh female rugby fans tend to be big lasses. The girls in the night clubs are a different kettle of fish though. Super talent. Cant remember the night club we went to where the Irish team were but I recall having to slip the bouncer a few quid to get in. Enjoy it evenif it is the roughest of the away fixtures ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I'll be over aswell! I doubt tix will be got, if they are bonus, if not the pubs will have to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Zakrze wrote:
    The welsh female rugby fans tend to be big lasses.

Judging by the one who was in the crowd on Saturday night with the words 'Scrum and get me' stretched over her ample bosom, you're dead right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'm just back from a weekend in Cardiff and couldn't find any tickets to be found.
    I visited a lot of pubs and those that had them were looking for 150euro for 35euro seats. Most of Wales think that this is going to be the 6 Nations decider and have snapped up the tickets. The game is soldout and the WRU told me that tickets weren't sold to the general public.

Hope you have better luck than I did !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭logistic

Sorry for jumping on your thread john_g83!

Just found out i might be gettings tickets for this match :D

Checked out ryanair for flights and i noticed that they only have 1 flight listed for the Sunday which seems to be booked up. I thought ryanair would put on extra flights. I'll ring them tomorrow.
    Also thinking about taking the car now and get a ferry.

Anyway i was Just wondering how people are going over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Dont bother with the IRFU they don't sell tickets. They give them to rugby clubs and their corporate sponsors, real fans don't get a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

BolBill wrote:
    Dont bother with the IRFU they don't sell tickets. They give them to rugby clubs and their corporate sponsors, real fans don't get a look in.

the vast majority of tickets do go to rugby clubs. surely players of these clubs and members would be classified as real fans. do you want to see them being sold thru ticketmaster and touts getting their hands on them in droves?

think the irfu have a good policy when it comes to tickets. always a great atmosphere at the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

thats true...but i think what he ment was it can be difficult for real fans (who aren't in clubs) to get tickets, while loads of them go out to the corporate sponsers, or the prawn sandwich bregade.......
    I've never had trouble gettings ticketsfor a home game though tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Welsh WRU confirmed that no tickets were returned by the clubs so none went on sale to the general public.

It's touts and ebay for the unlucky ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I generally go to Cardiff every year for a Welsh match, even if it isn't Ireland. Generally it is pretty tough to get tickets, but if you wander through enough bars you might get 1 or 2. This match, assuming it will be the GS decider will make tickets very hard to come by, and those you find will be at a real premium.

Bigger problems will be getting there and finding accomodation, a lot of people, myself included, re-book almost on checkout!

JAK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tickets (74,000 capacity) are distributed as follows:
    40,000 Member Clubs and Affiliated Bodies

19,000 Debenture Seats

5,500 Away Team Supporters

3,500 Box Holders and Club Seats

6,000 remainder split between Sponsors, WRU and visiting committee and guests, Media, Club Secretaries and Referees and Former Internationals.
    If this is a Grand Slam decider it'll be the biggest game in the short history of the Millenium Stadium, and tickets will be near impossible to get - unless you're "in the know". There will be literally thousands of Irish over there without tickets. Most will be watching the game in a pub!

Even if Wales lose to France, they'll probably still bounce back against Scotland and be going for the triple crown.

Advertisement