Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which online banking do you like?

Options
  • 30-01-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I like the AIB online banking. But am thinking of switching to another bank, to get away from their charging for everything. What other banks have as good online banking service and low charges, or free current accounts for things like direct debits etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

well i use permanent tsb online banking and its quite good. they recently introduced credit card statement viewing facilities thank god, as that was a bit annoying up till then. the site has never been down when i needed it and i do quite a few transactions online.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ulster Bank is very amateur.

You have to download a security file/certificate during the initial registration which means you can only access the service on the machine that has that file. If you need to access the service on another machine, you have to copy the file over - I have tried with limited success.

Other annoying features include the requirement to enter your password every time you want to pay a bill - I paid six bills last night and had to enter the password every time. I'm all for security, but there are better ways of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I have AIB and Ulster bank and between the two AIB is a lot more user friendly when trying to log in than Ulster bank plus the paying of bills is very easy compared to Ulster banks system. In reality I don't know if there's much of a saving of bank charges between either bank.

The anoying thing as pointed out by TD is you can't check your accounts on another computer without copying the security certificate which is a pain in the arse if your on holidays and want to check your account or at work plus instead of a pin number you have to type a sentance to get access, I'm all for security but I think Ulster is a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

have to say the aib one is top notch. my gf uses the boi one and its not a patch on it in terms or usability and features. The ability to be be able to controll all my accounts, credit card and being able to pay bills and transfer money with such ease is actually a major reason i havent changed to a different bank, loath as i am for aib's pay for everything charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Scruff wrote:
    ... The ability to be be able to controll all my accounts, credit card and being able to pay bills and transfer money with such ease is actually a major reason i havent changed to a different bank, loath as i am for aib's pay for everything charges.

Yeah thats the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

NIB is your only man. Their Freebank account has no charges once you remain in credit.

Their Internet banking is simply & easy to use. You can set up any payee once you have their bank account details (no need to phone anyone as with AIB). You can set up standing orders (e.g. weekly/monthly payments to any account). You can pay your NIB Visa bill overnight (no 3 day clearing period). The only limitation that I've come across is that the transaction history for viewing/downloading is limited to 10 transactions at a time for their Visa account for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Ulster Bank’s Anytime thing is clunky to operate and very poor second relation to AIB's IBB. Everytime you move form one PC to another you either have to drag your security cert around with you, or make a phone call and go through that quaintly named "shared secret" rubbish.

And there is the additional downside that the quality of service in Ulster's branches has deteriorated hugely in the last 2 years. So if you need to speak to a human, you get a call centre.

AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is there any service where you can download your entire year's statements in one go?

Is there any service where you can download your entire year's statements in one go?

That would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TSB-Select a custom statement. Enter the start and end dates and off you go. You can ask it to list all items, all deposits or all debits.

• Advertisement

TSB sounds good. Any annoyances with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

just to echo whats above, ulster banks system is rubbish, I like BOI myself

Advertisement