Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs barking all night

• 30-01-2005 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an issue with two of the houses behind mine. House to right has a little dog (not sure what breed .. like a terrier or something). House to the left has an Alsation and a little dog also. Now, if someone as much as "f*rts" at night, they all start yapping and hollering like ninety! Its difficult having anyone stay over at my place .. becuase the noise is really loud!

Question 1.
    Is there anything I can do?? I mean, I don't want to go around there with a pistol or piss off the neighbour by arriving on the doorstep and reading them the riot. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this before? How did you deal with it ..

Which brings me to second issue.
    Same garden that has the Alsation and the teeny dog also has this tree in it. In the spring, this tree fills to the brim with all these starlings. The noise at 5am is worse than an alarm clock. Tweet .. tweet, twitter .. yack yack .. tweet.

I had my mother staying over a week or so ago .. and she said she heard someone shouting out the window at the dogs ..

something along the lines of "Jayyyssssuuss shurrrrrup".

Question 2:
    Is it possible to get onto the council about those birds ..

Any advice much appreciated .. becuase I may as well scrap the bedroom at the back of the house soon as the birds return.

Woof .. tween .. shuurrrup .. woof woof .. little woof .. twiitter twitter .. JAYSUS!! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Move in beside Lenny,

no barkin dogs there..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=221805&goto=newpost

I've got the same problem, big la-bra-door [<< donno how to spell it] next door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Shrimp,
    Already seen that post by Lenny .. :(
    Anyone else got any real advise.

Thanks

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Shrimp,
    Unless you have something to add to the thread, please don't post junk, we've all seen that thread already.

Bubby,
    Have you had a word with the owners yet? Or slipped a note in the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Well,I know its not the _best_ of ideas but it works :
    My friend had the exact same problem as you. two dogs on either side, and if somebody sneezed they go mad for about an hour straight. He bought himself a very low powered pellet gun in Spain which fired small plastic pellets. Tested the gun on himself first before trying it on the dogs. As soon as they started barking a quick shot out the window shut the dogs up. It got to the stage where the dogs would hear the window opening and the gun cocking and they would shut up immediately. Like I said, its not a solution for everyone but it is a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

HI there bubby.

I don't have dogs myself, but lived in a similar situation as you.
    I would recommend that you talk to your neibhours about the dogs.
    It isn't your responsibility to sort this out, but it is theirs to sort the dogs out.
    they cannot expect that everybody doesn't have a peaceful sleep or night, just because they have dogs, if so, then they are very inconsiderate of them.

Regarding the bird issue, try cutting out some silhuettes of Crows or ravens and hanging them from the tree, helped in my old house.

hope this helps.

P.S. BTW Shrimp, Leny's thread was a laugh (as long as it isn't real,) but keep your stupid comments to that thread

• Advertisement

Garth_v,
    Not a valid suggestion imho, hurting a dog to make it quiet is not the solution here. You could end up in a lot of bother if the neighbours found out aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

koneko wrote:
    Garth_v,
    Not a valid suggestion imho, hurting a dog to make it quiet is not the solution here. You could end up in a lot of bother if the neighbours found out aswell.
    Like I said,not the best solution but it works.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Shrimp wrote:
    Move in beside Lenny,

no barkin dogs there..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=221805&goto=newpost

I've got the same problem, big la-bra-door [<< donno how to spell it] next door

Between this and the other thread Im getting very pi$$ed off with this animal cruelty crap.Ive 2 reported posts about you and this is your last warning.
    Richie

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Well,I know its not the _best_ of ideas but it works :
    My friend had the exact same problem as you. two dogs on either side, and if somebody sneezed they go mad for about an hour straight. He bought himself a very low powered pellet gun in Spain which fired small plastic pellets. Tested the gun on himself first before trying it on the dogs. As soon as they started barking a quick shot out the window shut the dogs up. It got to the stage where the dogs would hear the window opening and the gun cocking and they would shut up immediately. Like I said, its not a solution for everyone but it is a solution.

Most definitely not! I am an animal lover and would NEVER lift an object to an animal! It isn't the dogs fault.

Thanks for all the advise here guys. I wonder if I was to find out the number of the house and post an anonymous note?? You see, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot. Or should I just be honest and go to the house and nicely ask if there is anything they can do.

Regarding the suggestion about placing crow cut-outs in the tree with the birds .. its a few gardens up .. so I'd be afraid someone would ring the cops if I was jumping walls.

If I went to this house and said "nye nye .. your dogs .. moan .. the tree in yer garden .. nye" I'd be afraid they'd just say "look .. she's obviously just a moaner".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Hellrazer wrote:
    Between this and the other thread Im getting very pi$$ed off with this animal cruelty crap.Ive 2 reported posts about you and this is your last warning.
    Richie

completely agree with you HR. reported it aswell twice.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

Gilgamesh wrote:
    completely agree with you HR. reported it aswell twice.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why is my thread getting poluted with chat about Lenny's thread. Thats not very fair!

Back on topic please
    Bubby if you want it to go on topic, replying about the off-topic matter isn't going to help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Go to the house & say something.

My neighbours didn't tell me when my dogs were barking while I was in work & were complaining about them behind my back.

As soon as someone said it to me I got new toys, changed feeding methods & hired a dog walker = problem solved.

They wouldn't have had to put up with the barking for a month if they'd bothered to tell me at some point!!

Nah .. the owners have to know the dogs are barking. I can see their TV on. They are in the house, so they know alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Had that with my neighbours, tried the approach thing, just got a glib reply"wha can I do to stop them"
    Despite the fact that you can buy an electric collar to persuade them to stop barking.
    I have two dogs and the only time they bark is when someone comes into the yard.When they were younger and barked for no reason I locked them into their kennel, and changed my tone when giving out to them.
    Now my neighbours dogs (2 sheepdogs and a terrier) spent their day barking into our yard.they would start at 5am and stay going till late into the night.This went on for nearly a year. Solution I used pellet gun.As you wont do this I would suggest you should get a air horn, every time they start barking go down to the fence and let it rip, neighbours wont be long about getting the hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

From: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/environment/control_of_dogs.html

Barking Dogs

Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.

You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by downloading and completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986.

Thank-you!! Thats a really useful link!!

Man, this is going to sound awful after what I posted!! I had a visitor staying over lastnight and a 4 in the morning she was woken up to the sound of what she thought was a dog in agony .. for about 5 minutes. It was wimpering and crying and all of a sudden it stopped. She described it to me this morning "A dog was killed out there lastnight".

Jesus, whatever I said about the dogs making noise, I'd hate to hear that a dog was killed and in pain. Who knows what it might have been, something might have fallen on it. Maybe some guys got the dog and tortured it .. or it was knocked down by a car. She said it sounded like the dog's cries where being muffled. I really hope that one of the other neighbours didn't do anything inhumane and stupid!! It is hardly the dog's fault!

I just hope that whatever she heard was just an accident and the dog, whoever owned it is okay, and that nobody did anything silly. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

dogs and brids (from the same house) interfered with my sleep from as early as i can remember until i left home at 18. It is an awful pain.
    During college I did discover an excellent passive way of dealing with noise, which is wax and cotton mix earplugs. You can tget these from a lot of phrmacists.
    Might be useful in the short term until you find some way of getting your smelly neighbours to shut them up.

Advertisement