Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Metallic paint

Options
  • 31-01-2005 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi
    Just considering purchase of a new car - what's the considered view of adding metallic paint? Whats the real benefits? Its for a VW Golf and is a 500 euro extra option.....

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

well worth it IMO. No fading, looks much better, adds to resale-ability

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Metallic paint finish makes the car look nicer especially after a polish. Very few non metallic colours out there, black or white are the only ones that come to mind.

€500 extra is very expensive, typical VW overpricing! mad.gif

Will add to resale value but you will not get your money back, will make the car more appealing to a buyer. Also it is best to stick to established colours such as red, silver, navy, etc rather than colours that are in fashion at the moment but in 2 or 3 years time no body likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I would've thought €500 was cheap for upgrading to metallic - any cars I've looked have been €800+. Do you really think it makes a difference to resale value - assuming you're selling as a trade-in, not buy and sell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

extras often do not make any difference to resale values. However, they can make the car more attractuve to buyers increasing its resale-ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I was quoted €1016 for metalic paint on a new audi A4. I had to laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've just got a new golf with metallic paint, and it was never really an option not to get it. For that bit extra it makes a real difference. The worst thing was actually choosing the colour, and it makes a big difference seeing the cars in the flesh compared to a picture in a brochure. Don't know if you've picked your colour, but the following pics may help you.

/edit, sorry but for reason, its not letting me upload pictures :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

€500 is a bit steep, my local toyota dealer charges about 300 for the larger cars in the range and slightly less for the smaller ones.

I would still advise going for the metallic paint as opposed to not. It looks much better. Especially sitting in the drive on a sunny day after its just been cleand.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    €500 extra is very expensive, typical VW overpricing!

It is expensive if you consider that metallic on a Skoda Octavia (same car as the Golf really, but larger surface to be painted) is €394
    kbannon wrote:
    extras often do not make any difference to resale values. However, they can make the car more attractuve to buyers increasing its resale-ability.

True in general, but with paints it's worse. Buy a white car and as soon as you drive off the forecourt on an average car an EXTRA €500 is knocked off the value. If you are going to keep the car for a very long time, this doesn't matter. If you plan to resell sooner, you might find that getting metallic for a couple of hundred is actually a free optional extra :D

Advertisement