Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish tank not level

• 31-01-2005 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭

My sister got an 84L glass tank today and an aquarium stand (that's just like a little press). I assembled the stand, put the tank on top and filled it with water and then noticed that it's not level. The water level is about a centimetre higher at the front of the tank. ie. it's leaning forward and it's also leaning to the right. Is this a problem do you think? One thing I'm worried about is, more stress on certain parts of the tank could cause it to crack? The other thing is what if the stand can't support the weight of the tank (maybe that's why it's not level) and we could end up with a smashed aquarium, flooded room and loads of dead fish (no fish yet). Or am I worrying too much? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

a tank should really be level.
    a litre of water weighs a kilo
    so 84 kilos is a big weight to be off balance
    and the pressure can damage the tank and cause
    leaks... if you get some foam tiles (from a diy shop)
    you can put htat under to level it off.
    is the cabinet on carpet? that could be the problem.
    the floor might not be level, was it a flat packed cabinet?
    if so tighten everything up and check that it's level again.
    use a spirit level and don't fill it until it is level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Thanks for the reply. I checked with a spirit level and found that it's the floor that isn't level, just in that part of the room. Unfortunately that's the only suitable place for the tank. I'll look into getting foam tiles. Emptying out all the water and then filling it again will be a lot of work. :(

the foam tiles will do but you can (without too much hassle)
    syphon all the water into 30/40 litre canisters and keep just a bit
    of water in it. are there fish in the tank already? if so keep just enough for them
    to swim/ be wet.

then lift up the tank and put in the foam tiles /polystarine (gotta be spelt wrong) sheet
    on the sloping end and check the level before syphoning the water back in.

what capacity is the tank?

It's an 84 litre tank. There's only one fish in it at the moment (cycling the tank). I'm just trying to think where I could get a large enough container. The biggest thing I have is a 5L bottle. :p

you can get 40 litre canisters in any homewares/hardware
    shop.. you'll need something like this for changing the water
    anyway so just keep 40 litres, empty the rest, level it up
    and syphon the 40 litres back in!!! it might set the cycling
    back by a couple of days but will be worth it in the end.

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks.

Advertisement