Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a car

Options
  • 31-01-2005 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im thinking of purchasing a Volkswagen Polo from a friend of my dads,
    1ltr,1994 and only 40k on the clock plus its in mint condition all for only 900 bucks. Is there any design faults I should know about older model polos before i rush ahead and take this bargain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Probably the only design flaw is that this model dates back to the early 1980's so in terms of safety, it's way behind. It's got a galvanised body shell so rust won't be a problem, or if it is, it's definitely been crashed. You should probably get the timing belt and water pump done if you're not sure that they've been done recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You can't go wrong. With 40k on the clock, make sure it is regularly serviced and it will last another twenty years. As Alias says, these are an old, facelifted design but no worse than most. The shell is very strong but your car won't have ABS, airbags, side impact protection or any street cred... But it is the cheapest motoring you will get and you can learn everything by fixing it yourself armed with a Haynes manual and a vise-grip.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh its a pretty good deal for 900 bucks and it is a volkswagen so not much can go wrong with it. Going to have a look at it tonight anyway.
    If i was worried about street cred I wouldnt be buying it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

A bargain thats gone now :(
    damn b*tch sold it over the weekend

• Advertisement
Advertisement