Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic seal proofing

Options
  • 31-01-2005 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Have been pondering on getting the attic done,have got a price from atticconversions.ie but seems a bit pricey at 17k to 18k.But my question is this my Attic or roof i should say doesnt have the normal felt that modern houses have between the roof tiles and trusses.When im up in attic all i can see it the supports and the roof tiles which i think were cemented on top of each other.

Someone said to me that i would probably have to re-roof my house to the way they do it these days,because if i get a leak im knackered especially if ive got attic converted.

Seen in a sunday mag about these companies who do a spray type of sealant for attics like mine,but i cant find jack ****e about it anywhere here.

Anyone have the same problem as me and how did you overcome it...I know re-roofing house is a big job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

You want spray-on foam insulation, mate. I know it's available in this country, but b*gger me if I can remember the name of the company that do it. A bit of googling.ie should sort you out ...or ask a builder. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

From talking to others who got attics done, the price you are quoted has nothing to do with what it costs them...they just work out by how much the value of your house will increase, knock a couple of grand off that for yourself and hey presto! Theres your quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Thanks lads ill look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I would advise you to be careful about using foam sprayed on the underside of the tiles, we are approved installers and still have not found the ideal situation to use the product.

The biggest problem with the system is you can block all of the through flow of air in the attic which can lead to disastrous consequences in a very short time.

Just because you can see the tiles or possibly slates from your description of the cement between them does not always mean a new roof immediately.

A straight forward attic conversion with velux roof windows starts at around the €16,000-00 depending on the declared use, ie living or storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would seriously consider re-doing the whole roof for insulation, damp-proofing and anti-rot purposes.

• Advertisement

@rooferPete

Well as far as i know its original roof since it was built,and as far as i can tell the attic is bone dry from any moisture or any sign of dry rot or anything of the likes.

The house dates back 60+ years i think.This attic is very open in space with two huge purlines one on each side supporting the weight of the roof reaching and slotted into jackwalls,and with very little maybe one or two trusses in centre.

thanks for information Pete i can see what you mean as the roof needs to breath to prevent rot etc.

Going to ask an Architect to have a look and suggest a fews ideas becasue its a big attic going to waste.

Victor wrote:
    I wouls seriously consider re-doing the whole roof for insulation, damp-proofing and anti-rot purposes.

Easier said than done Victor as far as i can gather it can be a big cost but in saying that i havent a clue exactly on how much it would cost ro redo roof.Maybe someone could tell me from boards off top of there head?. Its a terraced house

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let me come back to you. How big is the attic?

Well width is around 20ft and length is 26ft.Victor as far as i can make out from joists to top of centre of roof is around 8/9ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi mad m,

You can send me the details location etc by email crawleyandsons@eircom.net and I should be able to guide you.

I hope you understand that costing roofs is my business and sensitive info should not be broadcast :).

The age must be taken into consideration, 60 years is very borderline for a lot of roofs and you don't want the ceiling in the attic damaged from hammering on the rafters later.

• Advertisement

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi mad m,

You can send me the details location etc by email crawleyandsons@eircom.net and I should be able to guide you.

I hope you understand that costing roofs is my business and sensitive info should not be broadcast :).

The age must be taken into consideration, 60 years is very borderline for a lot of roofs and you don't want the ceiling in the attic damaged from hammering on the rafters later.

Ok thanks for that ill keep you in mind,ill see what the architect says first,but i know roofs need looking after sometime in there span of life.

thanks

Advertisement