Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ok, I need some help with my trip to Ireland

• 31-01-2005 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey all... I am planning a trip to Ireland some time this summer, that is if I can get some vacation time from doing the flight paramedic thing... Last year, I did the whole southern portion from Dublin to Galway, to the Ring of Kerry, to Co'bh, to Arklow and home again...
    This year I want to head up north... most likely, I'll have to fly into Dublin as there are very few direct flights to Belfast from the US... and I would rather just fly out of Philadelphia that's real close to my house.. I would really like to visit Giant's Causeway, Donnegal and Belfast... I'm not into staying in big touristy areas... I like to come to Ireland to experience your culture and love small towns, and lively pubs... if all things go my way, I'd like to visit Ireland every year... so far, it's been the best holiday I've ever taken... my questions:
    Last year, I rented a car and drove about 700 total miles over a span of a week... Should I do that again this year? or should I just take busses, trains, etc? what's the best way(both fastest and cheapest) to get from Dublin to Belfast... I would prefer by plane, but all depends... where else are some good places to check out? someone plan me an itinerary for about 1 week...
    Also, if anyone here is coming up to New York or Philadelphia and wants someone to hang out with or show ya around, please don't hesitate to ask, or if ya'll ever have any questions, PM me, and I'd be glad to give ya my phone number to help ya out... I'm only about 2 hours by train to NYC and try to go up there as often as possible... plus, I'm only 10 minutes to philly with me driving...(I'm a paramedic and drive very fast LOL).... Thanks everyone for help... This board is great for meeting great people!!

Ryan Jordan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

RyanfromNJ wrote:
    what's the best way(both fastest and cheapest) to get from Dublin to Belfast...

I'll leave the rest to others, but my recommendation would be hire a car.

There's a new motorway heading northbound, so its all 120Kmh from Dublin airport to Dundalk.

If you must go by public transport, choose the bus over the train. There's a direct bus service to Belfast from Dublin Airport, to get the train you'd need to travel into the city first.

There are no direct flights from Dublin to Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Another vote for the car - makes it easier to get around generally also. Public transport will only effectively get you from city to city, anywhere outside of that and you'll want a car. The transport system isn't particularly advanced...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

RyanfromNJ wrote:
    Also, if anyone here is coming up to New York or Philadelphia and wants someone to hang out with or show ya around, please don't hesitate to ask, or if ya'll ever have any questions, PM me, and I'd be glad to give ya my phone number to help ya out... I'm only about 2 hours by train to NYC and try to go up there as often as possible... plus, I'm only 10 minutes to philly with me driving...(I'm a paramedic and drive very fast LOL).... Thanks everyone for help... This board is great for meeting great people!!

Ryan Jordan

You mad lunatic... You want half the country turning up on your doorstep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 happydayz

flying about ireland is becoming popular, esp as it works out cheaper than a train ticket!!!!!!!!!! check out www.aerarann.ie for the cheapest flights within Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What I would do if I were you is when you get to Dublin fly to Donegal and rent a car out there...this will save you the best part of a day and a long drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

mick_irl wrote:
    You mad lunatic... You want half the country turning up on your doorstep?

LOL... I'm game!!! I have a home built Kegerator with Guinness on tap... if that doesn't entice anyone, I don't know what will!!! I think I'm just trying to return the favor cause when I was in IE last year, it seemed as though everyone would bend over backwards to help me out... even for the smallest thing... I'm not used to that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

RyanfromNJ wrote:
    I think I'm just trying to return the favor cause when I was in IE last year, it seemed as though everyone would bend over backwards to help me out... even for the smallest thing... I'm not used to that...

Yeh, we're nice to tourists. Keep up the image! March down Garvaghy Road in July, dressed as a jaffa cake shaking an umbrella..... you'd probably still get away with it :)

Advertisement