Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djemba-Djemba to Villa

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

irish1 wrote:
    Which I took to mean that, you thought Djemba wasn't playing well for his country, so hence you can compare them, simple point really.

I'd just mentioned about Forlan, if I was going to talk about someone else in the same sentance then I'd specify who I was talking about. You misunderstood who I was talking about, I clarified it a few posts later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

SteM wrote:
    I'd just mentioned about Forlan, if I was going to talk about someone else in the same sentance then I'd specify who I was talking about. You misunderstood who I was talking about, I clarified it a few posts later.

Oh forget it your not getting me at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

irish1 wrote:
    Salona was the best value for money buy ever in the premiership in my view.

You are taking the pee aren't you - Schmeichel,Cantona,Keane and Irwin come to mind and thats only from Utd.

kida wrote:
    You are taking the pee aren't you - Schmeichel,Cantona,Keane and Irwin come to mind and thats only from Utd.
    Well in recent years anyway, I think some of those players you mentioned may have been purchased before the Premiership even started.

Oh and I did say in my view :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

SteM wrote:
    You said Forlan was playing well for his country while playing poorly for United. Irish1 pointed out that Djemba is also playing well for his country while playing poorly for United. The reason he pointed this out was because you said:
    Can't really compare Forlan to Djemba-Djemba. Forlan was still playing well for Uruguay when he was playing poorly for United.

Thanks eirebhoy, i was even confusing myself there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

No, I said that while Forlan was playing poorly for United, people (including myself) saw that he had potential.
    Forlan was still playing well for Uruguay when he was playing poorly for United. I think a lot of people saw that he had potential but he was just struggling at United where he got off to a poor start.

I then said that DJDJ has been playing poorly for United but I didn't think he'd shown anything while he was playing in England that showed that he was anything other than average. This is based on what I've seen on him for United.
    Only time will tell though but I still don't think we've seen anything from his play in England that will show that he's going to be any more than average.

I don't think I've said anything out of line here, just expressing an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

yea i think villa do have good young talent, likes of samuel, barry, vasell, cole(on loan), ridgewell and luke moore all look good/ have potential. Other players they have at the club are good too, Angel, Sorenson (still young ish), Mellbarg can be good. Likes of Mccann and Solano are well traveled and can preform on a given day. The other french lad Bernson? he looks like a good player, not afraid of a tackle either..they're shaping up in midfield...need a good rightback in my opinion, dela cruz or delany arent good enough to play week in week out....

Villa have excellent young talent thats why the youth side won the youth cup 2 years ago and only got beaten in the final last year.

I read last night that Djemba said one of the reasons he choose Villa was because Alan Smith and Rio Ferdinand told him O'Leary was a good manager who gave young players a chance.

Nice to hear O'Learys ex players saying good things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

irish1 wrote:
    Villa have excellent young talent thats why the youth side won the youth cup 2 years ago and only got beaten in the final last year.

I read last night that Djemba said one of the reasons he choose Villa was because Alan Smith and Rio Ferdinand told him O'Leary was a good manager who gave young players a chance.

Nice to hear O'Learys ex players saying good things.
    “In my country Villa is a big team who create big news and my ex-team mates Rio Ferdinand and Alan Smith spoke to me about the manager and said he was someone who would help me develop.

“Portsmouth, Benfica, Birmingham and Paris St Germain were all interested and it was not too easy a decision to make.

“But my team-mates said: ’Choose Villa because they have good young players and the manager gives young players a chance and works well with them.”’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I thought Villa paid £3mill for him. if United only got £1.35million then that is ****. But i'm nearly 100% sure United paid £3.5million for him.

Dewey wrote:
    I thought Villa paid £3mill for him. if United only got £1.35million then that is ****. But i'm nearly 100% sure United paid £3.5million for him.
    Nope it's £1.35 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

irish1 wrote:
    Well in recent years anyway, I think some of those players you mentioned may have been purchased before the Premiership even started.

Oh and I did say in my view :D
    Irwin 1990
    Schmeichel 1991
    Cantona 1992

so only Irwin before it started :rolleyes:

You really reckon Solano is the best ever value for money signing in the P'Ship and you accuse United fans of having a red-tinted view. You must have claret coloured binoculars so. :D
    Even in recent years there has been Sol Campbell and Paul Robinson and thats only 2 off the top of head.

kida wrote:
    Irwin 1990
    Schmeichel 1991
    Cantona 1992

You really reckon Solano is the best ever value for money signing in the P'Ship and you accuse United fans of having a red-tinted view. You must have claret coloured binoculars so. :D
    Even in recent years there has been Sol Campbell and Paul Robinson and thats only 2 off the top of head.
    Claret and blue actually and there lovely!

I seriously do reckon Solano has been one of the best buys in recent years, Sol Campbell left for free didn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

kida wrote:
    Irwin 1990
    Schmeichel 1991
    Cantona 1992

The premiership started in 1992.

I was hoping Angel would do a Palermo last night and get a 3rd penalty and miss it. Would have been a legendary moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

irish1 wrote:
    Claret and blue actually and there lovely!

I seriously do reckon Solano has been one of the best buys in recent years, Sol Campbell left for free didn't he?

irish1, don't bother with kida, he sees EVERYTHING through (fake) Red and Black goggles :D
    With every argument you will find him bringing Man U into it. Check out some of the Liverpool threads, he still manages to get in there. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Djemba Djemba is a great signing for the money paid. He and Berson played centre-mid together in the Nantes side that won the French league title a few seasons back. Juventus offered £12m for Berson back then, and Nantes turned it down! I'd like to know what Jambo Jambos valuation was back then too..... a lot more than £1.35m I'd say.... so to get them both for a total of £2.85m is an absolute steal.

Berson was having an extremely difficult time settling in Birmingham when he first arrived. He grew up just outside Nantes and had never lived anywhere else prior to his move to Villa. Anyone who's been to Brum will acknowledge that moving there from the French countryside would be a MAJOR culture shock, so understandabley, he's taking his time to settle. Hopefully being reunited with his mate Djemba Djemba will bring the best out of him also.... It's a move could really work for us if all goes well.

Djemba Djemba himself said that being in the United team for 1 game, then out for the next 4 or 5 makes you very nervous when do eventually get another run. He fully accepts that he didn't do well at United. He doesn't feel he done himself justice at all.

Other than that one signing though, it was a very dissappointing transfer window. There's only a few players in the first team who've been good enough this season. We badly needed a striker but there was no decent forwards available. Bellamy is identical to Vassell in style so he'd have been a waste. On the plus side though, we have 2 wonderkids banging them in for the reserves & youth team. Shane Paul & Gabriel Agbonlahor, the latter of whom broke Michael Owens youth scoring record last season by banging in 40 odd goals in a single season, so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel yet. They've both just returned from a special 6 team invitational tournament in Australia, which Villa won, beating the likes of AC Milan in the process....

Advertisement