Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts, Politics and Money

• 31-01-2005 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I've being doing Martial Arts in one form or another for many a long year now. One thing that has always being consistent is the amount of politics involved and how this often related to money or ego's. Has anyone esacped this?
    Am I the only one thats experienced this?

Its the one thing that I could say honestly disappoint's me in todays Martial Arts world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Steeped in it but I've learned to ignore it like many of the other aspects of MA that I hate. Just keep focused on your own training.
    I'd love to just set up a full time GYM and train with like minded guys style free, maybe after the gee gee come in for me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

dent wrote:
    I've being doing Martial Arts in one form or another for many a long year now. One thing that has always being consistent is the amount of politics involved and how this often related to money or ego's. Has anyone esacped this?

Its the one thing that I could say honestly disappoint's me in todays Martial Arts world.

Dent man, Ego is what drives the MA's in most cases. It's very hard for a person to let go of there ego and be open and honest. Take care of your own training as Dabhal said.

But if you are training in a style that you really enjoy and these kind of elements Pee You Off, then think about moving away from them and go out on your own, or with another association that might suit your point of view.

It's hard to take that step to though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Coming from a TKD standpoint myself it's pretty hard to avoid it. As long as you are part of an association with a set syllabus, gradings etc then you will have to deal with MA 'politics', for want of a better word. If you are happy in what you are doing then it probably won't bother you but if you feel the need to change some things around ( :mad: from my experiences anyway) then you are always likely to start getting abuse.
    I think a main problem is that some people take themselves and what they do way too seriously and get too caught up in their own Association more than what they are actually training. It's a shame really.
    Nowadays I just train in my own club and with any other like minded people that I can, it's an easier life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Someone once asked the ninjutsu grandmaster Massaki Hatsumi about politics in martial arts. His response? "Shut up and train!" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

dent wrote:

In all honesty stick any bunch of people together and you get politics no matter what.

Look at the amount of ****e that gets generated over running an unimportant club or society in a collage.

Some people are just jackasses that can't get over themseleves. You will always meet them and their egos.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement