Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate relationship

Options
  • 31-01-2005 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

Jesus, this game.

Bust out of the freeroll 7th with DeV laughing at me and then bust out of the 20 5th by the bad beat of my poker life (top 5 anyway) by BiteMe.

Result = e45 profit for 7 and 1/2 hours of poker. Gotta love this game.

Better than collecting stamps.

No offence to the stamp collecting forum.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Take it as a complement, when I looked around the table I saw you me Henbane and yer man who out drew you (Mike?) as the chief threats and since there were only 2 tickets and 130 credit, one of you guys had to go. Mike had too big a stack to shift and so it was you and Henbane I was targetting :)

That said, the look on your face of pure f**kin' annoyance was priceless.... I've rarely seen someone bottle up soooo much anger at someone and yet still remain polite! Sorry Henbane, there was a young lad (who eventually came third) who I didnt want to share credit with because I didnt think he was up to playing shorthanded. (More about him later!) that why I didnt want to deal.

There were 45+ runners last night and only 2 tickets. The freerolling, non-rebuyers are beginning to make a difference as thats a lot to play through for only 2 tickets. Used to be that you would get 4-5 tickets from a crowd that size...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

BigDragon wrote:
    Bust out of the freeroll 7th with DeV laughing at me and then bust out of the 20 5th by the bad beat of my poker life (top 5 anyway) by BiteMe.
    You were the one with the J10o vs J10o? That was fúcking savage.

You'll be glad to know that biteme had his bullets cracked by AJo a little later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

DapperGent wrote:
    You were the one with the J10o vs J10o? That was fúcking savage.

You'll be glad to know that biteme had his bullets cracked by AJo a little later.

Yep, that was me. Was that you next to BiteMe?

Thing about it is, BiteMe is a very good player and can play in all sorts of situations with agression and be as tight as a rock. He is a player I have a lot of respect for. However, he's a bollux!! with those J10. (Only messing Dave ;) )

It was actually a really good final table and the play was excellent imho.

I was directly opposite you. Two to biteme's right when we were 5 handed.

It was a great final table. Lots of fun.

For interested onlookers, BigDragon's beat (if I remember correctly) was:

Biteme Js10c
    Big Dragon Jc10h

All the money goes in preflop:

Flop: Spade Spade Rag

Turn: Spade

River: Spade

Even I felt sick and I wasn't even involved.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ha Ha! Again. :p

DeV.

• Advertisement

DapperGent wrote:
    I was directly opposite you. Two to biteme's right when we were 5 handed.

It was a great final table. Lots of fun.

For interested onlookers, BigDragon's beat (if I remember correctly) was:

Biteme Js10c
    Big Dragon Jc10h

All the money goes in preflop:

Flop: Spade Spade Rag

Turn: Spade

River: Spade

Even I felt sick and I wasn't even involved.

ExtraVision TShirt? All-in with shortstack and the bullets with no callers?

That's the hand. Thanks for the memories!!! :D

BigDragon wrote:
    ExtraVision TShirt? All-in with shortstack and the bullets with no callers?
    No!! How dare you!? :)

Just to his left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I got in last night at 9 and was home again at 10.50 after using up my three rebuys before the break :mad: I played some brutal stuff but also got a few bads beats/ dodgy calls. I haven't played the freeroll in a while but it could be back on the agenda. I seriously don't think the 20 in is much better than the freeroll used to be. It has become a bit of a lottery. There was one hand that sticks out last night. Flop came Q94 with the Q9 being spades. I had 44 and raised. It was then reraised all in. Now the all in had an open ender and Samsom had the flush draw, but there were three others who went in along with me who had fcuk all. Absolutely none of it . :confused:

Sorry, rant over :)

Its still a great game though !!

DapperGent wrote:
    No!! How dare you!? :)

Just to his left.

Sorry. No offence intended. ;) What was your seat no. on the final 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

BigDragon wrote:
    Yep, that was me. Was that you next to BiteMe?

Thing about it is, BiteMe is a very good player and can play in all sorts of situations with agression and be as tight as a rock. He is a player I have a lot of respect for. However, he's a bollux!! with those J10. (Only messing Dave ;) )

It was actually a really good final table and the play was excellent imho.

hehe, sorry about that dave. I hung around last night just about for a while. Really enjoyed the game. Helps when for most of the night your getting good cards. I think I got aces 3 times last night, twice on the final table.(admittedly i didnt need them there , cuz i didn't get paid the first time and the second time they got cracked by AJ :( damn you stu, i'm gonna win a big pot off him eventually )

Well done Rossa for winning it last night. Some nice play after my JTo stood up against your AK to bring you back from near dead.

Came fourth and got 200 for my troubles, but for over 5 hours work it seems like a lot of effort. Especially since i made more in the cash game afterwards in less time.

• Advertisement

biteme wrote:
    hehe, sorry about that dave. I hung around last night just about for a while. Really enjoyed the game. Helps when for most of the night your getting good cards. I think I got aces 3 times last night, twice on the final table.(admittedly i didnt need them there , cuz i didn't get paid the first time and the second time they got cracked by AJ :( damn you stu, i'm gonna win a big pot off him eventually )

Well done Rossa for winning it last night. Some nice play after my JTo stood up against your AK to bring you back from near dead.

Came fourth and got 200 for my troubles, but for over 5 hours work it seems like a lot of effort. Especially since i made more in the cash game afterwards in less time.

No problem Dave. You should submit that one to Dev's bad beat winning hands section on ante's. Rossa=Dappergent?? Glasses?? Getting confused. Stu was really hitting early on when down to last few tables but he could not keep it up. Rossa was down to his arse and played really well to get back up by the time I was heading out the door. Great chopping/cards. I presume there was no deal.

biteme wrote:

Isn't the point of it being a game that you should enjoy bypassing everyone except this NooB? Now, the way I see it, you paid nothing (unless you rebought or topped up) had a laugh with your mates, and you got 200... Why are you playing tournies if you prefer cash games?

Papa Smut wrote:
    ...... had a laugh with your mates.....

You have been mis-informed. He has none.

;)

:D

BigDragon wrote:
    No problem Dave. You should submit that one to Dev's bad beat winning hands section on ante's. Rossa=Dappergent?? Glasses?? Getting confused. Stu was really hitting early on when down to last few tables but he could not keep it up. Rossa was down to his arse and played really well to get back up by the time I was heading out the door. Great chopping/cards. I presume there was no deal.
    Yup. Rossa = DapperGent.

Stu was hitting monster cards. He was totally set up when in the first or second hand on the final table the other big stack went all in UTG post flop with an open ender. Stu was the only one who had him covered and gladly called with top two pair. That guy was nuts going all in with that stack with Stu still in the hand.

I think the most important hand for me was when Stu and I were both in the blinds and he limped with 85 and I checked with 95. Board was 55x and we both checked it until a king hit on the river, he bet, I raised, he reraised all in. I called after a bit and my 9 played to double me through.

I had twice Stu's chips heads up and he refused a deal unless I split it. I like to deal heads up but that was a bit pricy, he seemed happy enough to play out and was very gracious about my J10 beating his AJ in the final hand. :)

DapperGent wrote:
    Yup. Rossa = DapperGent.

Stu was hitting monster cards. He was totally set up when in the first or second hand on the final table the other big stack went all in UTG post flop with an open ender. Stu was the only one who had him covered and gladly called with top two pair. That guy was nuts going all in with that stack with Stu still in the hand.

I think the most important hand for me was when Stu and I were both in the blinds and he limped with 85 and I checked with 95. Board was 55x and we both checked it until a king hit on the river, he bet, I raised, he reraised all in. I called after a bit and my 9 played to double me through.

I had twice Stu's chips heads up and he refused a deal unless I split it. I like to deal heads up but that was a bit pricy, he seemed happy enough to play out and was very gracious about my J10 beating his AJ in the final hand. :)

Sweet. Well done again.

In the freeroll before hand, it was down to 4 when I played Q7 in the SB. I completed and Henbane checked so we both saw an AQ4 flop. I bet 4K (blinds were one/two) and Henbane went over the top for 8.5K.
    (Hey, a joke from Amp first.... two goldfish are in a tank and one says to the other "Hey, wtf is DeVore doing in here!"... ok, we were trollied at the time... aaaanyway).

I go into the tank desperately trying to work out what he has. He let me limp so I dont think he has Ax, he'd have taken the 4K in the pot at that point and been happy. He might have Qx so I have to worry if x > 7. I'll leave that for the moment. He could easily have a four but in that case I'm on solid ground. He could be bluffing.
    So, all avenues except the Qx one resolve in a happy Tom. And a happy Tom is a non-ranting, verbally abusive Tom. And we *all* want that... right?

I figured he might have Q4/8/9/T but QJ, QK, QA would have been raised I guess. The board is rainbow so he hasnt hit a flush draw and even if he has KJ for the straight draw I should call. Pairs would have made their presence felt before hand and even if he has JJ I'm ok. So I was down to 4 hands that I figured (rightly or wrongly) he could have that I should be concerned about. On that basis I called and found him with a lonely four. I couldnt get a damned inkling from him though, he just looked like the usual happy Enda and even buggered off for a leak while I thought about it. One of the best semi-bluffers in the game for my money. I very nearly dropped it except logic tells me he has very few hands that he would play that way that have me beat.
    Nicely play Henbane, I didnt want to knock you out but I didnt want to split it with the young lad in seat 7 as I figured he'd be easy.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

A slight correction to what is above.

Young lad on button limps, tom completes from SB, I check BB. Tom bets 2k into a 4.5k pot at this stage. I flat call. Young lad folds.

Tom checks a 9 on the turn and I push for 8.6. Then comes the tank time - I didn't take the leak til Tom made the call. Twas a good call. plyd etc.

Papa Smut wrote:
    Isn't the point of it being a game that you should enjoy bypassing everyone except this NooB? Now, the way I see it, you paid nothing (unless you rebought or topped up) had a laugh with your mates, and you got 200... Why are you playing tournies if you prefer cash games?

I play tourney's cuz it's what i enjoy. Cash games are a very different animal that i'm only just about getting to grips with. But all i was saying that the prize structure for the tourney was very top heavy last night. It cost me 45 last night cuz I only topped-up and when coming 4th out of a field of about 50 (i think) it seemed like an awful long time to get only 4 times what I invested. I don't know where your getting how I paid nothing. And which noob are you referring to?

henbane wrote:
    A slight correction to what is above.

Young lad on button limps, tom completes from SB, I check BB. Tom bets 2k into a 4.5k pot at this stage. I flat call. Young lad folds.

Tom checks a 9 on the turn and I push for 8.6. Then comes the tank time - I didn't take the leak til Tom made the call. Twas a good call. plyd etc.
    Ah yes, I discounted the 9 on the turn as a rag if I recall. I knew that hand was going to be make or break for one or other of us. You were a git for pushing at that time, perfect timing, I was really put to the question.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Im still new at this game. Sorry btw I didn't realize you topped up. No offence meant.

Papa Smut wrote:
    Im still new at this game. Sorry btw I didn't realize you topped up. No offence meant.

no offence taken, i was just curious how you thought i'd spent nothing on a tournament that wasn't the freeroll.

If you had a ticket, no rebuy. Thats all.

Papa Smut wrote:
    If you had a ticket, no rebuy. Thats all.

No tickets for the 20. You can do a bit of negotiating with Luke for the credit you got for the 100 to be broken down for the 20 game. That would be very very very foolish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

biteme wrote:
    Well done Rossa for winning it last night.

Nice one Rossa. Well played. The only thing that cheered me up last night was when your (Rossa) attempt at a bluff with K high on the turn was called by a flush draw, yet he was actually ahead already with his A high. :D

BigDragon wrote:
    No tickets for the 20. You can do a bit of negotiating with Luke for the credit you got for the 100 to be broken down for the 20 game. That would be very very very foolish though.

Why?

careca wrote:
    Nice one Rossa. Well played. The only thing that cheered me up last night was when your (Rossa) attempt at a bluff with K high on the turn was called by a flush draw, yet he was actually ahead already with his A high. :D
    :)

The funniest thing was I had put him on the flush draw after he called my bet on the flop. So I made the flush draw prohibitively expensive (ie all his chips)after he checked on the turn. And he still called. High card takes it down!

Yeah that was pretty embarrassing.

Papa Smut wrote:
    Why?

Value and Experience

The 20 game has a lot of plumbing and you can easily spend e85 getting to the final table and bust out 5th and only just get your entry fee back. The 100 freezeout on a Monday is a much better standard of game and you will learn alot more from playing in this game. You will also get alot more money if you finish on the final table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Because the 100 game is of a far higher quality to that of the 20 game. Better prize fund too. With the 3 re-buys there some of the early doors play in a 20 game is lunacy compared to the deep stacked play you get in the 100. I'm not saying there is no value in the 20, far from it, but if you have 100 in credit I would strongly suggest you use it in the 100 rather than in rebuys etc in the 20. Or use it in the 50-50! Horses for courses of course, or dragons, as the case may be ;)

• Advertisement

Cool. I'm probably using mine tonight. Playing the 50 tomorrow definitely.

Advertisement