Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router Recommendations

Options
  • 31-01-2005 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was using a Wireless network in my previous house but experienced a few problems with the Router at the time. It was a Belkin (not sure of exact model) and the main issues I had were firstly copying anything across the network took forever over the 802.11g connection (was supposed to be connected at 54Mbps and it took an hour to copy 1 gig of information - even taking overhead into account, there's no way it should have been that slow) and the second problem was whenever I connected to DC++ in active mode the router would reset itself.

I understand that many factors could have affected the network speed so I'm not too worried about that, DSL speeds were perfect. I would however like a recommendation for a wireless router that someone has used to connect to DC++ in active mode and has found to be a decent router also.

Any replies are most appreciated.

Serb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got this router recently..
    https://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302154

I don't know much about DC++ but I've not got any issues or problems with it. Piece of cake to setup etc...

Very Nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Thanks for the reply Ciaran. I actually just picked up a LinkSys over lunch so hopefully that will do the job. If not, I'll take a look at the NetGear.

Thanks again,

Serb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I was going to vote against Belkin too but you've been there already. At least you could copy a file over. Whenever I try that the poxy thing locks up altogether and the network connection dies (eventhough signal strength is excellent). I have to resort to FTP'ing between machines to copy anything across. Firewall enable/disable doesn't appear to have any effect. Neither does the port forwarding setup. It won't let me reference my machines by host name. Recently it won't even let me do \\192.168.2.x to try and browse the machines. One machine is on wireless and one is connected to the hub. I was able to view shares previously when both were on the wireless LAN.

That's the Belkin F5D7230 I'm on about. If I had a bin, I wouldn't put it in it. I'd put the Belkin underneath it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I hear you. The Belkin I was using doesn't actually appear to be on the site, I think it may have been an earlier generation of router or something. It really was a flaming pile of crap though.

Anyway, no point wasting good breath on something so worthless. Thanks for your input guys!

Serb

Advertisement