Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Bumps & Traffic Light logic!

Options
  • 31-01-2005 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I have a big issue with the amount of speed bumps that are increasing in my estate. I currently live around the Navan Rd area and it seems virutally every couple of weeks speed bumps just appear out of the blue. It has gotten so bad now that I can only drive one way home that doesn't have a barrage of suspension crippling speedbumps on the way to my house and that route (the main navan road) is a virtual car park during the rat race home. They are *everywhere*, in every estate, on every non main road ... they are even increasing in the pheonix park I've noticed. Interestingly enough not one person has been killed on these roads as long as I can remember, 30 odd years!

The other thing that gets me at the moment is traffic light logic. I've noticed its becomming very popular to have one row of traffic move first, then the other, then the pedestrians get their own cycle which allows them to move diagonally across the road. Why? Its f£$%ing stupid logic! If its so pedestrian friendly then why haven't they implemented it everywhere in town? I haven't noticed one place in town that they've done this. The only places I can see that they have done this is in slightly deprived areas.

I'm just sick to the pitt of my stomach with the attitude towards motoring in this country. We get screwed on f£$%ing everything, from scandelous insurance (on anything that isnt an under powered death trap), to toll roads, to monsterous pot holes, to the money spinning NCT, to anal road planning. Why, as someone who pays an exhorbitant amount to drive from year to year, am I treated like a piece of **** and subjected to this treatment? Having a car isn't a luxury, getting from A to B isn't a luxury. It's a basic human right as far as I'm concerned.

Who can I call up to shout abuse at, at all of this? Adrian Kenedy is *not* an acceptable answer. Is it the local corpo that are responsilbe for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Problem with road bumps is that they progressively knacker your bushes in next to no time, if you don't crawl over each and every one of them (and sometimes even though you do crawl over them) and -whether driving fast or not- they also knacker your wheel alignment/parallelism pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

just a thought,

remember watching a programme on C4 ages ago, 'Mark Thomas Project' i think it was called. He came across a problem similar to this, where ministers (in the UK) were just simply ignoring the public opinion.

What Mark suggested is that you get a home address for your 'favourite' TD and sign them up for whatever telemarketing/free sample/sex catalogue whatever via the net.

The theory was that these people had been recieving polite letters for long enough, and ignoring them. So why not send them something they cannot ignore?. From what i can remember the first time they tried this several trucks had to be used to deliver the mail. If anyone knows who or why, please let me know.. completly forgotton.

sure something like this is illegal, so i am going to say, this is just what i saw, this is my opinion, and you have to make you your own mind on how you deal with the complete opression by our goverment. I am not condoning any particular course of action.

wonder who we should pick first? any suggesions? (just hypotecially of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

shakenbake wrote:
    I have a big issue with the amount of speed bumps that are increasing in my estate. I currently live around the Navan Rd area and it seems virutally every couple of weeks speed bumps just appear out of the blue. It has gotten so bad now that I can only drive one way home that doesn't have a barrage of suspension crippling speedbumps on the way to my house and that route (the main navan road) is a virtual car park during the rat race home. They are *everywhere*, in every estate, on every non main road ... they are even increasing in the pheonix park I've noticed. Interestingly enough not one person has been killed on these roads as long as I can remember, 30 odd years!

The other thing that gets me at the moment is traffic light logic. I've noticed its becomming very popular to have one row of traffic move first, then the other, then the pedestrians get their own cycle which allows them to move diagonally across the road. Why? Its f£$%ing stupid logic! If its so pedestrian friendly then why haven't they implemented it everywhere in town? I haven't noticed one place in town that they've done this. The only places I can see that they have done this is in slightly deprived areas.

I'm just sick to the pitt of my stomach with the attitude towards motoring in this country. We get screwed on f£$%ing everything, from scandelous insurance (on anything that isnt an under powered death trap), to toll roads, to monsterous pot holes, to the money spinning NCT, to anal road planning. Why, as someone who pays an exhorbitant amount to drive from year to year, am I treated like a piece of **** and subjected to this treatment? Having a car isn't a luxury, getting from A to B isn't a luxury. It's a basic human right as far as I'm concerned.

Who can I call up to shout abuse at, at all of this? Adrian Kenedy is *not* an acceptable answer. Is it the local corpo that are responsilbe for this?

AFAIK it is the local authority (eg Ballyasasgraw County Council) that make these things, and what compels them to do so? local residents. So just toot your horn every time you go over them, that will annoy the residents, and maybe they wil think "hey what is the beeping about, well it seemed to coincide with the speed cumps lets get rid of them" well maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

ambro25 wrote:
    Problem with road bumps is that they progressively knacker your bushes in next to no time, if you don't crawl over each and every one of them (and sometimes even though you do crawl over them) and -whether driving fast or not- they also knacker your wheel alignment/parallelism pretty quick.

Sounds exactly like the problems one would have from driving on a road without speed bumps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

AMurphy wrote:
    Sounds exactly like the problems one would have from driving on a road without speed bumps.....

As in an Irish road, of course? :D:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement