Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice or thoughts?

Options
  • 31-01-2005 12:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking its time to buy myself a new motherboard and CPU, well past time actually, my P3 is a bit ofa dinosaur. Don't mock it, its held up admirably through 5 years, 3 operating systems and many new bits being jammed into it, (250gig HDD, 512M of Ram(came with 128 lol), a couple of different Graphics cards, DVD/CD RW drives etc.).

After a good bit of research I have formulated the following Plan:

Abit AV8-3rd Eye Mainboard for S939 KT800PRO,SATA,GbLAN,ATX,Dual-CH DDR

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz Socket 939, 512KB cache, BOXED

Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX-350W OEM.

All of the above from Komplett, plus a Gainward GeForce FX5950 ULTRA 256MB DDR AGP, "Ultra/1800XP", VIVO, Retail that I'll be purchasing 2nd hand from a colleauge. As well as another 512 of Ram from another source.

What I'm unsure of is:

I'm skimping a bit on the processor but since its a socket 939, I can easily upgrade that next year if necessary, right?

Will my old RAM be good enough, I'm not entirely sure what spec it is.

Am I buying a good enough PSU? Should I be going more for 450-500W?

I'm going to using the PC for light enough gaming, general internet use etc.

Any advice/thoughts I'd be glad to hear. I'm a long time lurker very occasional poster so thanks in advance.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

The processor is fine but change the motherboard to an Nforce 4 ultra a little bit more expensive but they seem worth it.
    You will need to get new ram, get one stick of 512MB now and you can later to 1GB.
    400+watt power supply would be advised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Unfortunatly the only Nforce4 boards I can find have PCI express and no AGP, even though I know PCI Express is the way forward It really doesn't suit me as I'm getting an AGP card very cheap.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

Yeah ur ram on ur old machine is more than likely SDRAM not DDR SDRAM on that mobo.... incompatible...

And RAM is pretty cheap now anyway if ur not buying uber-super-low latency-ram....
    939 is the way to go now but I hear rumours of new things on the horizon but then again there's always new things on the horizon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

This is 45 yo yo's but will give out around 400 watts(so ive been told) have a look

or this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=112087&cks=PRL for 1 "yo-yo"(idiot) less.... Tis not bad... I put one in a machine a while back... Not quiet but then again do want quiet?

• Advertisement

idiot? and your reccomending a qtec psu, dont make me laugh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

QTEC ?????? Mind boggles

One more thing - a 5950 there are better cards i would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Archytas wrote:
    or this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=112087&cks=PRL for 1 "yo-yo"(idiot) less.... Tis not bad... I put one in a machine a while back... Not quiet but then again do want quiet?

NOooooooooooooooooooooooo not a qtec, STAY AWAY, avoid like the plague, the 350w fortran is way better then this piece of crap

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304638&cks=PRL
    very good card and at a reasonable price

gline wrote:
    NOooooooooooooooooooooooo not a qtec, STAY AWAY, avoid like the plague, the 350w fortran is way better then this piece of crap

I realised that, thanks mate anyway.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

kinkstr wrote:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304638&cks=PRL
    very good card and at a reasonable price

Still twice what I'm getting the other card for.

they/them/theirs

Qtec aren't that bad... I have made a couple of linux systems with Qtec PSU's and theres nothing wrong with them??? And yo-yo isn't a currency...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

just a quick question, are these any good

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301419&cks=PRL

i bought 1 today for a system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Archytas wrote:
    Qtec aren't that bad... I have made a couple of linux systems with Qtec PSU's and theres nothing wrong with them??? And yo-yo isn't a currency...

they really are. that fortron would be a better choice, antec would be another good make to go for.

i really should let this "yo-yo" thing go, but im not prepared to agree with you about QTEC making decent PSU's :D

gline wrote:
    just a quick question, are these any good

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301419&cks=PRL

i bought 1 today for a system

I got the 350 watt fortron from komplett (waiting delivery) it was reccomended my Col Loki, asfaik Fortron make good PSU's, unlike QTEC :D

Wow I seem to be seein a lot of QTec hatred here... This is the first I've heard of it though.... My systems are fine and yes the rails aren't great but I was just throwin out an opinion? Obviously not a good one... :) and the yoyo's thing.... Why? Why wasn't "euros" good enough? :rolleyes:

Archytas you have to let this yo-yo thing go :cool:

hmmm... this once....

Until we meet next time
    Muwahhh hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Archytas wrote:

Qtec are utter ****e as PSU's go.

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Aside 4m the HORRIBLE rails the real power output of Qtecs is less than whats stated but their new 550w is ment to be an option(triple fan vers, i didnt check on komplett)LOKI has spread some serious hate :D

Although the processor you have chosen is only clocked at 1.8 with decent cooling it can easily be ramped up to 3.3/4ghz :)

Advertisement