Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scuffed Alloy diy repair ?

Options
  • 31-01-2005 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi,
    MY 1997 alloys are quite scuffed, and flaking in places.
    ('97 Honda crv)
    Is there a quick-fix ? - i.e sand them down, repaint, re-laquer .. etc etc
    If not, is there anywhere in Donegal or close by that does refurb / repairs ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I have the same problem myself. I am tempted to go at with as you say, a fine wet n dry paper, repaint ,revarnish. I did spot alloy wheel repair kits in Halfords. I think it would be hard to get a stisfactory finish. Anyone any idea's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It depends on the level of damage and the complexity of the wheel pattern. For any major amount of corrosion, pitting, chips or scratches I usually take the wheels off, take the tyres off, get them sandblasted and primed then fill with Isopon, re-prime and respray with two-pack silver. This will cost €200 by the time you do everything but the wheels are like new. For small amounts of damage leave the tyres on, wet and dry sanding with 360 grit to remove the damage and finishing with 600 grit before painting with good alloy wheel paint is probably sufficient. Remember that if you go back to bare metal or use Isopon, you will have to use a primer or etch primer before painting. Try to paint and work in a warm dry area and keep the wheels horizontal to prevent runs.

'c

As always, if you post a pic you will get more specific advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Pics attached ...

There are no deep gouges/ scratches . the damage is more like bubbling .. as if the wheels were painted previously and now this paint is bubbling.

Note, the pics are just taken, so they are dirty also !

Any advice welcome ... I've never done this before, so would appreciate any pointers to an "Alloy wheel refurb for dummies" type of thing.

Cheers,

The wheels have the original paint but have started corroding under it. Buy a Dremel multi-tool (Argos/Radionics?) and using a fine wire brush, buzz the damaged paint off. Follow it with a light sanding using 400grit wet and dry, then wash the wheels really well, dry them and warm them gently before painting them with good quality aerosol paint.

The only way to refurb these properly is the tyre-off and sandblast method as above but you might not want to spend the time and money. If the corrosion is left unchecked it will spread across most of the wheel and eventually ruin it.

'c

Uh Oh.
    That doesnt sound good.

You're right, I wouldnt want to spend the time & money for a tyre-off repair.

Off to buy a dremel I guess.
    Is there a particular type of paint I should be looking for ?

Thanks for the help.
    Cheers,
    Declan

• Advertisement

dealgan wrote:
    Off to buy a dremel I guess.
    Is there a particular type of paint I should be looking for ?

I always buy stuff called 'Steel Wheels' silver. Most auto factors sell huge cans of it for about six europeans. Oh and buy 2" masking tape to keep it off your tyres!!

'c

OK,
    Thanks for the help. Much Appreciated.

Cheers :D

Update ...
    OK, have bought a dremel, but no wire-brush attachment :(

Having the spare wheel puncture repaired today so that I can put it on while refurbing one wheel at a time .. need to use car every day.

more pics at My website

**warning** Those pics are not very pleasant.. especially the "frontleft" one.

Cheers.

Advertisement