Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Million Dollar Baby, Irishness, and a Diner..[Spoilers]

• 31-01-2005 4:20pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who's seen this movie knows there's a definite Irish flavour to the movie with the lead character called Fitzgerald and going by the Gaelic name "Mo Chuisle" (maybe Simu or someone will know how authentic it is).

At one point in the movie though there's a diner called "Ira's Diner". Now that, of course, raised a chuckle in the audience who saw it as "IRA's Diner". I find it hard to believe that such names are just conincidental so was it a deliberate nod by a set designer or Clint given the Irishness of the movie?

There's a second possibility also, in that an IRA is an Individual Retirement Account and
    Frank states that he wants to retire to this diner

Anyone else feel either of these were meant when the diner's name was chosen?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

ixoy wrote:
    Anyone who's seen this movie knows there's a definite Irish flavour to the movie with the lead character called Fitzgerald and going by the Gaelic name "Mo Chuisle" (maybe Simu or someone will know how authentic it is).

At one point in the movie though there's a diner called "Ira's Diner". Now that, of course, raised a chuckle in the audience who saw it as "IRA's Diner". I find it hard to believe that such names are just conincidental so was it a deliberate nod by a set designer or Clint given the Irishness of the movie?

There's a second possibility also, in that an IRA is an Individual Retirement Account and
    Frank states that he wants to retire to this diner

Anyone else feel either of these were meant when the diner's name was chosen?

Perhaps it's all just coincidence and it was IRA - as in a persons name - in the original book?

On point about the Irish flavour, did you find the look of the Irish punters in the crowd(s) horribly clichéd? I.e., farmer caps, tweed wasitcoats, long beards, green clothing?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ardent wrote:
    Perhaps it's all just coincidence and it was IRA - as in a persons name - in the original book?
    Oh indeed, it could be from the book. I'm just suspicious by nature and looking for layered meaning...
    On point about the Irish flavour, did you find the look of the Irish punters in the crowd(s) horribly clichéd? I.e., farmer caps, tweed wasitcoats, long beards, green clothing?
    To be sure, to be sure isn't that how we all dress? Jaysus, Mary, and Joseph would ya not ever see it's a spot on take on us. Saints preserve us, some people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

Yeah, there was a total irish spin on it.. him learning gaelic and recitin yeats
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement