Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting Openers

Options
  • 31-01-2005 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Last night, we had our usual cash game in the corner of our local. It always involves between 6 and 9 mates and is always good humoured, even when the pots start to increase. The game is dealers choice and it usually revolves around 5 & 7 card stud, southern cross etc but last night for some reason, something came up about 5 card draw which ended up in a big argument. The argument was in relation to splitting openers in 5 card draw and what's acceptable i.e. say it's J's to open and I have a pair of Q's in my hand but also 4 hearts. After opening, can I hold onto the 4 hearts and drop one of the Q's? What happens if I don't fill my flush and have to die out, if the mucked card is gone I can't show openers. Do I insist on the card being left in front of me in which case, the other players will have a good idea what I'm doing. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

As far as I know if you split your openers you must leave the discarded opener somewhere so that you can prove after the hand that you opened legitamtely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This site is even in our poker links thread. Very handy:-

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/articles/poker-rules/draw/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I would have agreed with HJ. Thats how we played it at home. Of course as you stated the problem is the dealer for the next hand will be clearing up the discards and if he takes yours then you have to announce it, hence everyone knowing. Unless you make a ruling at the start that all cards are left alone until the hand is over, its very hard to overcome.

Btw, never split em !!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

According to the rules on that link above you do have to declare you are splitting and put a chip on your discards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

musician wrote:
    According to the rules on that link above you do have to declare you are splitting and put a chip on your discards.

That was one of things mentioned last night although it was said that the card had to be turned up and a chip/coin placed on it. This to me makes no sense as anyone needing that card isn't going to call once the card is seen. Thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

I couldnt see you having to turn it up thats free information for everyone else. Nut the way we've always played was just keep the split card aside from the muck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Generally the rule in 5 card draw(hse rules not withstanding) is that u MUST keep yur openers if u open. U must keep the pair of JJ and can take up to three,then at the end of every round the person who opened must show'Jacks or better' (if thats what your openers are) or the whole round of betting could be ruled null and void.

The Blue rinse brigade in the Fitz on Tues night(ahem... on the few occassions I played the granny game :D ) will tear your arms off and beat u with them if you open and then dump your pair triying to get a better hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi all. I have to say I don't know much about draw poker having very little experience in it but from my knowledge you do have to declare that you are splitting your openers. As far as I was aware you did have to show the card face up therefore really giving the other players alot of information. Let me know if anyone knows for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

any time i've ever played it

any discarded cards are placed in front of the player dropping them
    and arent gathered up until after the hand - so any queries can be resolved then - this way noone knows whether you are splitting or not and it protects your hand

Advertisement