Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad v Portugal

• 31-01-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

The only changes from Croatia is Murphy for Colgan and both Roy and Morrison back.

Given (Newcastle), Kenny (Sheffield United), Murphy (Walsall)

Carr (Newcastle), Finnan (Liverpool)
    O’Shea (Manchester United), Maybury (Leicester)
    O’Brien (Newcastle), Breen (Sunderland), Doherty (Norwich), Cunningham (Birmingham), Dunne (Manchester City)

McGeady (Celtic), Barrett (Coventry)
    Duff (Chelsea), A Reid (Tottenham)
    Miller (Manchester United), Quinn (Sheffield United), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Kavanagh (Cardiff), Holland (Charlton), Kilbane (Everton)

Robbie Keane (Tottenham), Macken (Manchester City), Morrison (Birmingham), Lee (Cardiff), Elliott (Sunderland).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    T

A Reid (Tottenham)
    :eek:

Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Is Carr back fit ??

also imagine likely team to be close to ...

Given

Finnan
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    O'Shea/Carr

Duff
    Keane
    Holland
    Kilbane

Keane
    Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah, Carr started for Newcastle at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

LizardKing wrote:
    also imagine likely team to be close to ...

Given

Finnan
    Cunningham
    O'Brien
    O'Shea/Carr

Duff
    Keane
    Holland
    Kilbane

Keane
    Morrison

Good selection, like to see duff get a bit more freedom thou. Andy Reid another possible starter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Absolutely lost as to why Alan Quinn makes the squad over Rory Delap.

He must have slept with Brian Kerr's daughter or something.... (although I met her one night in Club M........ and to be fair....)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

syke wrote:
    Absolutely lost as to why Alan Quinn makes the squad over Rory Delap.

Kerr knows what Delap does at international level whish isnt much altho played nearly every game for soton , Quinn hasnt been given a chance yet.
    Tbh would prefer to see Quinn play shows more promise.

kdjac

Yeah, I like what I've seen of Quinn. A lot different to the other central midfielders in the squad while Delap would just add another Holland type player to the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

KdjaC wrote:
    Kerr knows what Delap does at international level whish isnt much altho played nearly every game for soton , Quinn hasnt been given a chance yet.

have to agree, Quinn's workrate is phenomenal! he will run his socks off for the whole game and is not afraid to put the boot in!

he will become a really solid player for us in a few years i reckon, maybe not a regular starter but a really good option off the bench.

Just out of curiosity, if he is so good, why after all this time is he still with Weds?

syke wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, if he is so good, why after all this time is he still with Weds?

Quinn (Sheffield United)

:confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement

my bad....

even stilll......

syke wrote:
    He's not. He joined Sheffield United this season and was one of the best player vs Villa.

syke wrote:

even stilll......

Why are Wallsall Coventry Celtic and other ****e teams getting Irish internationals?

Be nice if they were all PL but we ireland so beggars cant be choosers.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    ...Celtic and other ****e teams getting Irish internationals?
    How predictable. :o;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

KdjaC wrote:
    Delap only has 11 caps, many of them from the bench. Kerr can hardly know "what Delap does at international level" based on that. Delaps 11 caps are over a 6 year period. He has only in the last two or three years established himself as a regular starter.

Quinn has 6 caps. He will be 26 before the Summer, and he has just made the step up from Division 2 to Division 1. He would want to be showing a lot more than "promise" at that age, and at that level.

I like the look of Quinn, but Delap definately deserves a chance. He has been a regular starter for a premiership side under 4(?) managers in the last 2/3 years. Im sure they see a lot more of him than anyone here.

I've always said Delap deserves a chance but that JoeSoap fella has said a few times that he has been playing shít for Soton.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I've always said Delap deserves a chance but that JoeSoap fella has said a few times that he has been playing shít for Soton.
    I havnt seen all that much of him to be honest, but as I said, he has been a regular under 4 managers, he cant have been playing that bad.

Im not saying he should be starting for Ireland though, but I mean he cant even make the squad. I mean Kerr picks Carr, Finnan and Maybury, why bother with Maybury? I dont rate him at all, and is there a need for a third right back? Delap could even fill that void should the need ever arrive.

why bother with Maybury? I dont rate him at all, and is there a need for a third right back? Delap could even fill that void should the need ever arrive.
    Kerr has Maybury in the squad as a left back.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Kerr has Maybury in the squad as a left back.
    But hes an even worse left back than right back. He would be my third choice left back behind O'Shea and Finnan (not sure in what order).

"best of a bad lot" springs to mind.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    "best of a bad lot" springs to mind.
    And that may be so, but that bad lot is significantly better than the bad lot playing at Hearts or Sheffield Wednesday (up until the Summer), or Coventry.

And that may be so, but that bad lot is significantly better than the bad lot playing at Hearts or Sheffield Wednesday (up until the Summer), or Coventry.

Gets worse if you look at the fringe players.
    We need 11+ PL standard or higher , never really gonna happen everytime one player joins a PL team another gets relegated / me looks at Doherty.

kdjac

Our first team now are all premiership players.

Given

O'Shea
    Carr / Finnan
    Cunningham
    O'Brien / Dunne

Duff
    Reid
    Kilbane
    Keane

Morrison
    Keane

:)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Our first team now are all premiership players.

Given Regular

O'Shea Bit part player
    Carr tampax man / Finnan dunno seems to get his game
    Cunningham regular
    O'Brien HA fcuked at New / Dunne regular now

Duff regular
    Reid unknown
    Kilbane regular
    Keane kinda regular

Morrison fcuked longterm
    Keane unkown

:)

Now all we need is them to play every week :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

We're in a good position if we can leave a premiership regular, Delap, and La Liga regular, Harte, out of the squad altogether I suppose. I think squad depth wise we're pretty healthy atm, we're far better off than we were not long ago anyway. Even some of the players in the first division or SPL are excellent propsects at worse like Elliot and McGeady, who has proven himself at CL level.

Anyway, as I've said elsewhere, I'd love to see us experiment with a Chelsea style formation as it suits the players alot imo.

Basically, stick Robbie Keane in for Drogba/Gudjohnsen then behind him you've got Duff doing the same role and McGeady doing Robbens role. Play Reid in the advantaced mid field position ala Lampard, Keane in the holding role in mid field like Makelele and Kilbane in for Tiago, with whatever back five we pick. Worth a try imo, I'd love to see what would happen with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Slash/ED wrote:
    Anyway, as I've said elsewhere, I'd love to see us experiment with a Chelsea style formation as it suits the players alot imo.

Basically, stick Robbie Keane in for Drogba/Gudjohnsen then behind him you've got Duff doing the same role and McGeady doing Robbens role. Play Reid in the advantaced mid field position ala Lampard, Keane in the holding role in mid field like Makelele and Kilbane in for Tiago, with whatever back five we pick. Worth a try imo, I'd love to see what would happen with that team.

:D ... like the way you are thinking there... but Robbie Keane isnt scoring goals as late, so 'we' would need to play two fowards/strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Robbie Keane has around a one goal in two starts average this season for club and country, he's our current top scorer in the world cup qualifiers with 3 goals in 4 games.

Portugal announce decent squad:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo Pereira (Sporting), Quim Silva (Braga).

Defenders: Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo Coruna), Marco Caneira (Valencia), Fernando Meira (Stuttgart), Rogerio Matias (Vitoria Guimaraes).

Midfielders: Costinha (Porto), Armando Petit (Benfica), Manuel Fernandes (Benfica), Hugo Viana (Sporting), Deco (Barcelona), Tiago (Chelsea), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica).

Strikers: Pauleta (Paris St Germain), Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Robbie Keane isnt scoring goals as late,

In fairness he hasn't done too bad with 7 PL goals in 18 starts. That's pretty impressive when you take into consideration he's been play a fair few of those games on the left wing.
    syke wrote:
    Delap. He must have slept with Brian Kerr's daughter or something.... (although I met her one night in Club M........ and to be fair....)

Really? Well I met one of Kerrs nieces once and to be fair ... I'd rather still be in the squad.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

typical, as i have posted elsewhere...

best of luck to him, it will give one of the other players a chance to partner Zindane kilbane in the center of the pitch, maybe miller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:

Ah well. Here's hoping the traitor's feeling better in time for the Manchester derby on the 13th.

best of luck to him, it will give one of the other players a chance to partner Zindane kilbane in the center of the pitch, maybe miller
    Miller, my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

i would like to see alan quinn being given a start

Miller has been crap this season.

Given
    Carr Cunningham OBrien Finnan
    Reid Kilbane O'Shea Duff
    Morrisson Keane

is our best team

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Portugal announce decent squad:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo Pereira (Sporting), Quim Silva (Braga).

Defenders: Paulo Ferreira (Chelsea), Jorge Andrade (Deportivo Coruna), Marco Caneira (Valencia), Fernando Meira (Stuttgart), Rogerio Matias (Vitoria Guimaraes).

Midfielders: Costinha (Porto), Armando Petit (Benfica), Manuel Fernandes (Benfica), Hugo Viana (Sporting), Deco (Barcelona), Tiago (Chelsea), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Simao Sabrosa (Benfica).

Strikers: Pauleta (Paris St Germain), Nuno Gomes (Benfica), Luis Boa Morte (Fulham).

No Maniche, is he injured?
    is Hugo Viana playing well for Sporting Lisbon?
    He was never up to much when he played for Newcastle after all the money we payed for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I know he's getting on a bit , but in my opinion Kavanagh is our third choice cenrtal midfielder and therefore I think he should start . If Keane is injured for a qualifier Kavanagh will most likely start , and it would do him no harm getting some more international expierience . Either that or try out Quinn .

much the same, I would just try a few players, like Dunne and Elliott

________________Given
    Carr___Dunne_______OBrien___Finnan
    Reid___Kilbane_____ O'Shea_____ Duff
    ________Elliott______ Keane

I would really like Kerr to give another crack at the 4-3-3

________________Given
    Carr___Dunne_______OBrien___Finnan
    ????______Kilbane_____ O'Shea
    Reid___Elliott/Keane_____ Duff

I cant really be arsed think of who to put in midfiield there in the 4-3-3 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

actually miller hasnt played all season :)

Elliott has to be given a crack up front, did anyone see him score that goal yesterday, left foot screamer from outside the penality area !!

• Advertisement

Kavanagh >>>>>> O'Shea.

since carr will probably be out i would say the team will be
    Given

Finnan
    Cunningham
    Dunne/O'Brien----O'Shea

Duff
    Kavanagh
    Kilbane
    Reid

Keane
    Morrison

Dunne deserves a chance after his great performances for man city this season.
    Elliott does deserve a chance upfront also since morrison isn't playing regular football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

O'Shea is not onlya better player than Kavenagh, not only has more international experiance, not only has more high level club experiance, is on a much much better run of form than Kavenagh.
    Is Carr definally out?
    I assumed that Cunningham wasn't going to play, due to the fact hes old and its a friendly, and that O'Brien and Dunne would be in the centre of defense, No?

My arse is O'Shea better than Kav in central midfield. :) A late developer Kav was but potential doesn't count for anything if we're playing tomorrow.

Carr only came over to train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Probable teams (from ireland.com)
    Republic of Ireland: Shay Given; Steve Finnan, Andy O'Brien, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea; Kevin Kilbane, Matt Holland, Liam Miller, Damien Duff; Robbie Keane, Clinton Morrison

Portugal: Ricardo Pereira; Paulo Ferreira, Jorge Andrade, Fernando Meira, Marco Caneira; Armando Petit, Hugo Viana, Deco, Simao Sabrosa, Cristiano Ronaldo, Pauleta.

Referee: Matt Messias (England)

I'd prefer to see Reid in the starting line up , although miller could do well (he needs to impress a few doubters )

Kerr confirmed Duff would start on the left, Reid on the right with Keane and Morrison up front. Given and O'Shea will also start and he'll play his strongest team. The last point is interesting, I'd like to see who he feels is in his strongest team. Kavanagh/Holland and O'Brien/Dunne are the only ones that are hard to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kavanagh/Holland is fairly meaningless as they're going to bench warmers when Keane gets over his shocking injury.

Along with the central defence, I don't think the RB spot is a closed book. There's not much to seperate Carr and Finnan in my mind.

Kavanagh/Holland is fairly meaningless as they're going to bench warmers when Keane gets over his shocking injury.
    Thats if Kilbane and Keane are available for every game which I wouldn't want to count on.

we won't find out anthing about Carr/Finnan as Carr won't be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kavanagh has been excellent when he's played and I would rather him than : Holland , O'Shea , Miller , Carsley(retired I beleive) , Delap , Quinn and any other contenders for a starting place in the centre other than Keane and Kilbane .

Dunne has got to play ahead of O'Brien(Im not talking about this friendly , but about qualifyers ) , O'Brien can be dodgy at times . Eliott deserves at least 45 minutes . Barret deserves a part , in some part of the action , so does Quinn , and so does McGeady , I would also like to see Maybury get some time aswell , and thats pretty much the subs I want to see used .

if cunningham isn't playing it will be interesting to see the O'Brien Dunne partnership, it will probably be the partnership for the future.
    would have thought that kerr would play Duff on the right since he has played there alot with robben on the left this season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement