Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You couldnt make this stuff up!

• 31-01-2005 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭

Unprecedented derby to take place for tsunami aid

January 31, 2005

eircom League Premier Division side Waterford United will take on the county’s hurling side in a specially-arranged charity match in aid of the GOAL Tsunami disaster appeal at United’s Regional Sports Centre next Friday week, February 11th.

Both sports are enjoying the crest of the wave in the county at present – Waterford United reached their first FAI Senior Cup final in 18 years last October, while the county’s hurlers are the reigning Munster senior hurling champions.

And the organizers will hope that that will translate into a major turn-out on the night.

As well as raising funds for GOAL, it is also hoped that two boats – aptly named The Blues and The Deise - will be commissioned, to be presented to a village in the disaster struck area.

Waterford player/manager Alan Reynolds said: “We were all touched by the scale of the disaster in South East Asia. Our own John Frost had only just come back from Thailand so his memories were fresh in the mind and he was one of the first to suggest we do something. I think it will be a fantastic night at the RSC and it is only a small thing we can do to help.”

Waterford hurling star Paul Flynn – who was once a budding goalkeeper at Aston Villa before turning his attentions to the sliotar – is also looking forward to the occasions.

He said: “When Alan first approached me there was no hesitation. I spoke to some of the players and got the blessing of the County Board so we will bring as full a panel as we can to the RSC. And we’ll be looking for the win!”

The game will kick off at 7.30pm, and admission is €10 for adults and €5 for children.

Tickets available from:

Waterford United Offices in Parnell Street
    Harvey Travel, Gladstone Street, Waterford
    Gregory’s Clothes for Men, Patrick Street, Waterford
    Paul Flynn’s, Lombard Street, Waterford
    David Walsh, Dungarvan
    Newws & Star Office, Michael Street, Waterford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fair play to Waterford United for getting involved, heres hoping the people of waterford will get behind them now as much as they do the hurling team.

Hope it gets a big turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Call me Betsy but what sport are they actually going to play?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

whats happening with daryl murphy, is he off too ipswich at the end of feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Don't think he is. I heard he has signed a new contract with the Blues til 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote:
    Unprecedented derby to take place for tsunami aid

Both sports are enjoying the crest of the wave in the county at present

thats just gold though dont you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

KevIRL wrote:
    thats just gold though dont you think?

not for hurling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shamrok wrote:
    I heard he has signed a new contract with the Blues til 2006.

Correct, but Ipswich are reckoned to be weighing up an offer. Basically i think Murphy wants Waterford to get a few quid if he does leave, and the reported figure is in the region of stg£250k! If true, its about bloody time an Irish club got a realistic fee for their players.

Advertisement