Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

spurs spurs SPURS!!

• 31-01-2005 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

right well i think its time to start a thread about spurs...

again frankie has gone about adding to the fine young talent that makes up the youngest team in the premiership.

the signings this time around::

Mido (18 month loan)
    Radek Cerny
    Mounir El Hamdaoui
    Tianio (in the summer)
    Hallfredsson
    Limbersky

Prob:
    Dawson
    Reid

although immediately i can only see mido, dawson and reid fighting for a start...i hope i havent left any1 out!

assuming thats us done for the day, we now have a fierce amount of players on our wage bill that is quite distressing!!

Positions that are of interest that i see,

left side of midfield (reid, ziegler) two young players, with ziegler doing and excellant job for us recently, but after spending so much on reid, can we afford no to put him in?

centre back - king is a starter no question, but naybet is getting old and wont be here next season so is it time to through dawson in staright away. Gardner isnt up to it and can see him leaving in the summer. richards as i have said beofre is only interested in picking up his cheque every week and is not fit to wear the shirt.

rightmid: if we dont wign routledge or wright phillips today, then it looks like davies is their for the rest of the season but i would be happy to let him go and get in routledge. But time is a factor at this stage and no word is coming out that we have had a bid accepted for routledge or of davies going to everton.

my team!

robinson

kelly -- dawson -- king -- edman

davis
    carrick ziegler
    reid
    mido defoe

i know that wont happen but on paper tis a beaut of a team!!

on a side not anyone know when the replay against west brom will be definite...ie when the tv coverage has been decided...i want to go on the sat but cant make another day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Dawson is shockingly injury prone, so as good as he is (and I think he's the most complete young CB in the UK) I don't think you can counton him for a season. Perhaps as he gets older and stronger this will change.

Reid is best at not so much hoging the touchline, as either pulling infield a little and delivering to those in front, or getting up to the corner to cross. He isn't really the same type of player as Ziegler.

Good signings though, its not for nothing that Mol was regarded in such high esteem in Holland...

Leonard wrote:
    Why should spurs have their own thread. There are far bigger and better club who should have there own thread but dont.

Its written so in the bible, Isaiah53.

Or more importantly, whats it to you?

I'm so resisting the urge to get myself banned by telling you what I think of your post.

Instead, I'd suggest that perhaps you stop thread spoiling and as per the rules and upkeep of boards, which you seem oh-so-concerned about, report the post instead of spamming worthless opinions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

hah Giving out about the space on the server - priceless

Anyway why shouldnt they have there own thread, signed a few good players recently, new manager, things looking up. And playing some good football as well.

Here's hoping Andy Reid gets his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

To be honest, it seems to be the same old Spurs to me. They went on a great 5-game winning run there at the start of the year, but its tailed off with some bad results against Chelsea, Crystal Palace, and West Brom. Typical Spurs form really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Leonard you aren't the mod of this forum as long as the thread is about football and doesn't degenerate into tripe its fine. Complaints in the past concerned certain users who felt that every bit of trivia about their favourite clubs warranted a new thread which was taking the piss.

Next time if you have a problem report it and shut up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

sikes wrote:

robinson

kelly -- dawson -- king -- edman

davis
    carrick ziegler
    reid
    mido defoe

Jaysus sikes, he hasn't even played a game for us and your putting Mido in ahead of Fab Freddie? Brave man.

Think we're mad to pay £8 million for the Dawson and Reid, though I'm glad to see both sign. Gives us a lot more options when we're missing one or two of our better players for a start, and lets MJ and FA start getting rid of the dross and deadweight.

Expect Deano, Ricketts, Bunje, and Snoop to make way in the Summer, and probably Keane/Davies as well.

Oh, and my team:

Robbo
    Kelly Davenport King Edman
    Reid Carrick Brown Ziegler
    Kanoute Defoe

Subs:

Cerny, Dawson, Mendes, Davis, Mido.

I think Davis might have long term injury problems, I'm really worried about how he's gonna turn out for us. I still think Carrick/Brown is our most effective CM partnership, recent poor shows aside. And I'd stick with 4-4-2 for the moment, we need our wide men.

COYS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

8 million was absolute theft by Nottingham Forest, they must be laughin all the way to the bank with this one! Good signings for spurs that they are, the deal is really more of a 5 million job tops in the current climate.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

gandalf wrote:
    Leonard you aren't the mod of this forum as long as the thread is about football and doesn't degenerate into tripe its fine. Complaints in the past concerned certain users who felt that every bit of trivia about their favourite clubs warranted a new thread which was taking the piss.

Next time if you have a problem report it and shut up !

Fine so, I will do that, and I have also deleted my previous submissions to this thread.

Apoligies to Sikes for threatening to put his thread off topic. So, going back to original topic, with these new signings, I think Spurs could actually get one of the european places on offer this season. I would think that given the recent signings and the transformation of the team since MJ took over, Spurs have a very good chance of finishing in the top 6.

Draupnir wrote:
    8 million was absolute theft by Nottingham Forest, they must be laughin all the way to the bank with this one! Good signings for spurs that they are, the deal is really more of a 5 million job tops in the current climate.

Rumours abound on the net that the deal is as follows:

£4 million guaranteed - £2 million now, £2million in the Summer.
    £4 million based on the usual appearances, achievments etc.
    10% sell-on clause for both players.

I've seen it a few places now, but I'll take with a pinch of salt. If Spurs did pay all £8 million up front then Gary Megosn wears a black-and-white stripy polo neck to work with a bag marked "swag" over his shoulder... ;)

And we're still being linked with Routledge... :D

• Advertisement

If Spurs did pay all £8 million up front then Gary Megosn wears a black-and-white stripy polo neck to work with a bag marked "swag" over his shoulder... ;)

...you know, the burgers they serve at the city ground are really quite good....

syke wrote:
    ...you know, the burgers they serve at the city ground are really quite good....

...so says Andy Reid... ;)

Better get used to kebabs and bagels now... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Draupnir wrote:
    There's a load of clauses, 8m is the max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i heard that the forest chairman mentioned 8 million but its not on the forest or spurs site. frank arnesen tends to be very smart in the transfer market so i like to think we havent been taken for a ride.

i gues reid could play on the right. it means we still dont have any wingers tho except daives, who seems to have lost the ability to go past people.

we need the deadwood out asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

sikes wrote:

we need the deadwood out asap.

Who do you think the deadwood are?

Reminds me of Blackburn in the last 2 seasons, great squad on paper but sadly not on the pitch.

Stupid signing 5(EDIT fcuk its 8 new players) players when you have managed to get nearly 10 wins in a row or thereabouts, can see all those players there being so happy and motivated by the new signings.
    1    	Paul Robinson  	2    	Noureddine Naybet  	4    	Sean Davis
    5   	Goran Bunjevcevic 	6   	Dean Richards 	7   	Simon Davies
    8   	Miguel Pedro Mendes 	9   	Frederic Kanoute 	10   	Robbie Keane
    11   	Michael Brown 	14   	Erik Edman 	16   	Reto Ziegler
    17   	Noe Pamarot 	18   	Jermain Defoe 	20   	Edson Rolando Silva Sousa
    22   	Lee Barnard 	23   	Michael Carrick 	24   	Timothee Atouba
    25   	Marton Fulop 	26   	Ledley King 	27   	Rohan Ricketts
    28   	Mark Yeates 	29   	Philip Ifil 	30   	Anthony Gardner
    32   	Johnnie Jackson 	34   	Stephen Kelly 	36   	Emil Hallfredsson
    48   	Nicky Eyre 	   	Ahmed Mido 	   	Mounir El Hamdaoui
       	Owen Price 	   	Spase Dilevski

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Who do you think the deadwood are?

Richards, Ricketts, Snoop Gardner, Bunjevcevic, Jackson. Eddie Silva Sousa has gone to Den Haag.

Keane and Davies to go in the Summer, and doubts remain over Sean Davis' fitness.

KdjaC wrote:
    Stupid signing 5(EDIT fcuk its 8 new players) players when you have managed to get nearly 10 wins in a row or thereabouts, can see all those players there being so happy and motivated by the new signings.

Not a problem. We've signed:
    1. Cerny - Backup keeper, and if he doesn't know that coming to the club then he's a fool.
    2. Limberski - 6 month loan with an option to buy. Being assessed in the reserves, I don't expect him to feature much.
    3. Hallfredsson - cheap as chips, and in the same boat as Limberski. One for the future.
    4. Tainio - Joining us in July
    5. El Hamdaoui - Only 20, signed from Dutch 2nd division side Excelsior. He'll be a reserve for the rest of the season, he's on a 3.5 year contract.
    6. Mido - Does stand a chance of playing, especially with Kanoute having a few injuries of late.
    7. Reid - Definite first teamer, but he'll be replacing Marney/Ricketts/Davies, none of whom have any special claim to a place in the team.
    8. Dawson - Only Snoop can have any complaints, and he's been useless all season so doesn't deserve his place.

Only 2 of that 8 are serious contenders for the starting XI, I'd be more worried by the return of Sean Davis and the resulting competition for the one midfield place alongside Carrick between him, Brown, and Mendes.

Funtime Frankie know's what he's doing.

Theres 33 players in that squad list (not sure if all newbies are in it) thats a lot of players , competition for places is usally between 23 players.

Tbh would prefer to see Mendes in midfield with a fit on form Carrick , playing reid on right of that doesnt give them width and Mido is beside s nutcase a big centre forward who likes crosses.
    Just seems they buying players for the sake of buying, never a good thing.

33 players 4 months of season and a glimmer of uefa cup football, strange way to go about things.

I can see the irish players suffering for possible cheap imports.

Keane out been there best player sometimes :D

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Theres 33 players in that squad list (not sure if all newbies are in it) thats a lot of players , competition for places is usally between 23 players.

Not it doesn't include all the newbies:

First team:

1 Paul Robinson
    2 Noureddine Naybet
    4 Sean Davis
    7 Simon Davies
    8 Miguel Pedro Mendes
    9 Frederic Kanoute
    10 Robbie Keane
    11 Michael Brown
    14 Erik Edman
    15 Ahmed Mido
    16 Reto Ziegler
    17 Noe Pamarot
    18 Jermain Defoe
    23 Michael Carrick
    24 Timothee Atouba
    26 Ledley King
    31 Dean marney
    34 Stephen Kelly
    Andy Reid
    Michael Dawson
    Radek Cerny

Reserves:

25 Marton Fulop (GK)
    48 Nicky Eyre (GK)
    28 Mark Yeates
    29 Philip Ifil
    35 David Limbersky
    36 Emil Hallfredsson
    Mounir El Hamdaoui
    Owen Price
    Spase Dilevski

Deadwood:

5 Goran Bunjevcevic
    6 Dean Richards
    20 Edson Rolando Silva Sousa
    22 Lee Barnard
    27 Rohan Ricketts
    30 Anthony Gardner
    32 Johnnie Jackson

By my count thats 21 first team players, and of the players I've marked as reserves, only Mark Yeates, Paul Ifil, and El Hamdaoui can really hope to make the step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

33 players - thats a alot of wages for a club the size of Spurs - Deadwood or not they still have to be paid.- :eek:

Can't really see any of the signings actually improve things any. It looks like the 2 fingers to the players that have done well lately. At best Spurs for the next few years will be fighting for 5/6th place.

• Advertisement

kida wrote:
    33 players - thats a alot of wages for a club the size of Spurs - Deadwood or not they still have to be paid.- :eek:

Can't really see any of the signings actually improve things any. It looks like the 2 fingers to the players that have done well lately. At best Spurs for the next few years will be fighting for 5/6th place.

One of the benefits of the last few years of restructuring at WHL has been the financial side of things has finally been sorted. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about the wages side of things, sure we released two of our higher earners in Redknapp and Keller to free up payroll cash.

As for 2 fingers to the current squad? I though it was just Spurs fans getting ahead of ourselves with our recent optimism... ;)

Truth be told, Reid was bought to play wide right/left, if its left we'll probably try Ziegler on the right. Ziegler is only 19 remember, and was signed as one for the future, so he's already exceeded expectations.

Mido (as I've said above) is the only other signing to reasonably expect a place in the team, and he's been taken in as cover for Kanoute. Only Keane can have a problem with that.

Dawson combined with Davenport who's on loan at the Saints are King's future partners at CB, Snoop's on his way out and Naybet won't last another full season.

Jaysus, if Spurs didn't buy anyone we'd have been told you need to strengthen, speculate to accumulate etc etc, but when we do everybody's all doom and gloom "they'll upset the others, cost you too much"

I'll remind you that few people rated Robbo when we took him from Leeds, Ziegler was an unknown, and Carrick was a gamble. Look at them now!

Its not doom and gloom its sceptism as its been done before by mid table teams and well not really worked out for them. And the teams imploded thus ruining the club for a few years.

Blackburn Bolton Newcastle Boro Leeds , have took in a lot of freeish players and it cost them. Boro and Bolton only recovering now.

I just cant see that many players creating a good 11, when there was already a good 11 there. The team that went on a good run was one with a lot of injuries so obviously the players were there just broken and yet still managed to win a lot of games.

Hope it works the middle league needs another team to challeng for europe.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Its a risky tactic that could backfire - depends on the mentaility of the players involved.
    You are 19 had a decent season so far and suddenly you see an International bought for a lot of money. Do you say F*ck this or do you say I am better than him - hes not getting my place. All the recent transfer activity especially with a few bad results could have a negative impact.

Y'all might think I'm obsessing here, but for once I'm actually confident of the clubs ability to build on strong foundations and challenge for honours in the next few years...
    KdjaC wrote:
    I just cant see that many players creating a good 11, when there was already a good 11 there.

A good 11 there who've gone four matches without a win (2D 2L), scoring only one goal (that the lineo saw anyway... ;) ). Our bench for the last few matches has included Fulop, Ifil, Bunjevcevic, Gardner, Marney, Kelly, Ricketts, and Yeates. Dean Marney's explosive home debut against Everton aside, none of those players can be described as match winners. The result? We bring Snoop Gardner on as a sub against Chelsea and push Ledley King up as an emergency striker!

Thats been our problem for much of the last two months, injuries have robbed us of 5/6 first team players and left us relying on kids and deadwood. Look at our match against West Brom on Saturday, 1-1 and taking a bit of a hammering from a revitalised West Brom side, we take off Defoe (our best plaeyer on the day) for Robbie Keane! Why? Because MJ needs to freshen up our forward play and he knows Keane and Defoe just don't work as a front partnership, so he has to leave on Kanoute instead.

Ziegler was out so we had to play Atouba. His cracking performance against Southampton aside, the man is too slow and too awkward for playing left wing. We have no adequate option on the right side. Neither Mendes or Marney are comfortable on the right (Marney is a CM) and Davies is far from certain to be a Spurs player next season. At the back we replace Naybet with Snoop, and its like Bambi on ice all over again.

Like I've said, only 3 of the 7 signings (Cerny, Mido, Reid) are automatic first team squad , and only Reid is certain of regular football, on the right side of midfield whish nobody has made their own this season.

So, my team for the rest of the season is:

Robbo
    Pamarot (Kelly a few games, he'll be RB next year)
    King
    Naybet (Dawson not Snoop as his cover)
    Edman
    Reid
    Carrick
    Brown/Mendes/Davis (injuries willing for Davis)
    Ziegler
    Kanoute/Mido
    Defoe

See, very little change?

Next season:

Robbo
    Kelly
    King
    Davenport/Dawson (dependant on how Davenport does at Soton)
    Edman
    Reid
    Carrick
    Tainio/Mendes/Davis (can see Brown being snaffled by someone in the Summer)
    Ziegler
    Kanoute/Mido
    Defoe

Still little change!

Funny 2 minute clip from an interview with Reid and Keane:
    http://www.spurs.co.uk/ram/rk050203.ram
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Reid and Mido making debuts today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

As a Forest fan I am sad to see us, again, lose the more of our very successfull youth team. Out of the team I think only real gem left is Morgan (who really is a better defender than Daws :) ), and I wonder how long he has to go :( Our chairman seems to think clearing the debt is more important than what division we play our football in.

As a season ticket holder I have seen lots of Andy this season and a bit of Dawson (he's been injured loads).

When Dawson first broke into the Forest team he was so assured, so confident, he just appeared to have been playing first team football forever, in that regard he was identicle to Jenas. Due to the huge amount of times he has been injured, he never has managed to get back to his top form. Infact many people thought that Dawson had been dropped for the last two matches rather than injured again. But I am sure that given a decent spell without getting injured he will again find the form that got him selected to train with the full England squad.

He is very good at passing the ball, very strong in the air and appears to read the game very well for such a young lad. He can appear to be a bit slow at times though (but then again the whole forest team has looked unfit all season -- probably due to JK's training methods)

Now onto Reid, well he has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwize nightmare of a season. He can look overweight - but thats just his build, he is fast, he is very very skillfull and he grafts very very hard. His only flaw is that he always takes the corners, and his corners are pants ;p seriously though he is a great player and one that I have always thought would play even better in a better team.

Its pretty obvious that Spurs over the last couple of seasons have decided to bag all the good, young division one players and are building a team for the future. I hope you are able to keep hold of all the young talent you have and that they do forefill their true potential.

All very true but when you are struggling at the bottom of the championship you cant really expect to keep your most valuable players. Its a pity thats the way football is, but its not gonna change any time soon.

Mido scored (1-1)

• Advertisement

Mido scores again, 2-1!

82:18
    Shot by Andy Reid (Tottenham) left-footed from left side of penalty area (18 yards), hit woodwork.

Keane comes off the bench to score, 3-1. Assist by Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

sportinglife.com reckons Reid wasnt that effective. But they were comparing him to Mido. Did anyone see him play ? what was he like. Was the assist good ?

sportinglife.com reckons Reid wasnt that effective. But they were comparing him to Mido. Did anyone see him play ? what was he like. Was the assist good ?
    Football First is on Sky Sports in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, reading the papers the other day, it looks like spurs have really pushed the boat out and gone for a two-tier system with the first squad and a second squad of youngsters.

im not sure how that will work out, but i think in theory its a fantastic idea.
    there really seems to be a sense professionalism, optimism and team spirit, and it appears that every player signed, knew exactly what the set up was to be.

only reid and mido were signed as first team players, the rest go into the younger squad.
    as for cleaning out in the summer, well, i dont think jackson will go. i think he is definately one to watch for the future. ricketts can go, because he never took off. same reason the arsenal let him go on a free. hes a decent player, but needs constant first team action, and he just isnt good enough with the current spurs squad. perhaps liverpool can have him :)
    i think gardner can go. ive seen enough of him. he really doesnt look that happy on the ball anymore. maybe he is just awed by ledley king?
    i think reid was purchased to be a wide man, alonmg with A N Other such as SWP or routledge. Jol was quoted as saying he likles the style chelsea play, with one forward, and two wingers in robben and duff, so i think he may try to emulate that a little bit and play a 5 man midfield with carrick, mendes (my player of the season so far) and someone else (love to see davies fit and in there again)

its hard to tell. i know that tactically MJ is very aware, and this squad really gives him a lot of options, and he is not man who is afraid to make changes and to put in place a system that he thinks work, or change on he feels doesnt.

kinda like the 'tinkerman' raneiri, but with team spirit, instead of thinking he is just playing championship manager?

anyway, im going off to watch a dvd.

good win today. i think we are going to be playing europe next season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I have to say,the lads played great today! Mido really impressed me, and Reid's ball to Keano was perfection. Hope its not a one-off good game, they should hopefully be consistent!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Cianan2 wrote:
    Mido really impressed me,

Me too, It's great to see exciting flair players like that in the premiership. I still fancy Spurs for a European place this season.

Only saw the goals I'm afraid, but Mido took his first well, and Keane's goal was a cracker as well.

Reid hit the post in the 2nd half, and listening to the commentary on the Spurs site he sounded like he had a good game. The Beeb's site says we gave the Pompey keeper a torrid time with crosses from both wings pinging in all day, which is something we haven't been doing much of lately.

It'll be a tough slog, but I reckon we can get a UEFA spot by the season's end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mido is a good player young tall and good skill well done spurs

Advertisement