Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flights from Dublin to NY

• 31-01-2005 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hey,
    Just looking to book flights from Dublin/Shannon to any airports in NY for the first week in June, have tried alot of places and price is working out at bout 450euro. I know thats reasonable enough but does anyone know where i cud get maybe cheaper?or good deals, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I suppose you might find things cheaper through London, though whether the hassle is worth it, I don't know.

When you want to come back makes a difference too, with flights on a Tuesday or Wednesday sometimes being cheaper.

If there were any way you could travel on the 30th or 31st of May, the outward leg drops in price. June is school holiday time, and all the prices go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The best thing (in my experience) is to take some time out and ring the airlines that do that route direct. They can tell you what options will make the flight cheaper.

Get the golden pages and spend an hour ringing around...

Aer Lingus
    American Airlines
    British Airways
    Continental
    Delta
    US Airways
    Virgin Atlantic

in 2003 I went to new york from shannon via philadelphia with US Airways and saved myself about €300 over a direct flight into NYC...which meant i could spend the money saved on a swisher hotel. It's worth the hassle!

I found these websites pretty good for showing up the various options available:
    http://www.travelpaths.com/flights/Index.php
    http://www.deckchair.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

450 Euro is not that bad for that time of year. I've checked for August (since bought) and Lingus from Dublin is by far the cheapest, even more so than having to go through London, with less hassle as you go through Emigration in Dublin (or Shannon, if you have to go through there). As you have to pretty much check in 3 hours early anyway, it gets it out of the way nicely. It's also a shorter flight and I'd recomment avoiding Heathrow like the Plague. I can say with some certainty that it's one of my least favourite places on the entire Planet.

You can get cheap flights without going via LHR. Some of my mates have travelled via Paris or Amsterdam before.

The way I went before (mentioned above) meant that I did imigration in Shannon.

Am going to the states again this March for 2 weeks.

Got all my flights for €770 - which includes 5 flights (and the flight times are great):

Dublin > Las Vegas (Via Chicago) > San Franciso > New York > Dublin

That's all with Aer Lingus going across the atlantic and American Airlines and United for the internals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I use cheapflights.co.uk. usually they have good prices.

Failing that, if you're under 27 goforless.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I paid €519 (incl tax and charges) for 4th june to 9th june with air lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

best price to NY from IE is definitely with Aer Lingus... well, if ya want a direct flight... if ya don't mind making connections, then fly US Airways from Dublin to Philadelphia... I always fly from Philly, because it's only about 10 minutes from my house to the airport... and it's direct... check out www.travelocity.com or go to www.usairways.com good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Fabrizio

Hey,
    Thanks a million for all your help. Got flights from London to NY with Kuwait Airlines, will customs be more cautious of us as we are flying from Uk rather than Ireland. To be honest, im going working for the summer and have jobs and accomodation arranged but im going on a holiday visa, and changing flights when i get over there! any suggestiosn on how i can get through customs easy enough - or is it even that strict as everyone says??? ill be on a holiday visa.........what will they ask me?

If you are going on a holiday visa then don't mention working! They will prob ask you where you are staying. Make sure you have the full address of any place you are staying in. If they ask you about how you are paying say you have been saving for years for the holiday of a lifetime and that you plan to shop till you drop while there. Either that or tell them that you have rich parents who are bankrolling your trip :)

I don't think they will ask you anything much if your return tickets are showing a return two weeks later. Where it may come back to haunt you is if you come home and try to return to the states at a later date. THEN you will be asked several questions as to why you changed your return date and what you did during your time there.

And whatever you do, do not stay longer than your visa allows you to (normally 3 months). Even staying a day longer could result in you being locked up when you try return home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

mick_irl wrote:
    If you are going on a holiday visa then don't mention working! They will prob ask you where you are staying. Make sure you have the full address of any place you are staying in. If they ask you about how you are paying say you have been saving for years for the holiday of a lifetime and that you plan to shop till you drop while there. Either that or tell them that you have rich parents who are bankrolling your trip :)

yeah. make sure your story is water tight. if they get an inkling that you are gonna work illegally then they wont let you in. simple as that. make sure you have as much saved as possible before to show to them that you have enough to get by for those few months without resorting to working.

dw

• Advertisement
Advertisement