Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game boy virgin

Options
  • 31-01-2005 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

My Girlfriend being the astute woman she is got me a Gameboy sp for christmas.
    Now I'm not anti-nintendo, but a game boy never really appealed to me, & as she got me the horrendous FIFA game it's pretty much been gathering dust in my room.
    Last weekend my nephew left 1 of his games behind whilst visiting, "Shining Force 2", it's an RPG from sega which has really grabbed my attention, but I can see it dwindling soon.

Basically I'm seeing the gameboy in a new, sexier light( & by extension, the dual screen!)
    What are the Gameboy must haves?
    Especially RPG's of the shining force ilk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Advance Wars and Mario Kart are MUST haves. You've started your new-found friendship at an opportune time as the new Nintendo portable is just beginning to gain popularity in Ireland and Gameboy Advance games are set to plummet in price in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

advance wars 1 and 2 are essential! mario advance 2 and 4 are both amazing as they are mario world and mario 3 respectively. Zelda a link to the past and minish cap! the castlevania games. fire emblem. metroid fusion and zero mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

If ure into RPG's u should check out Golden Sun I and II you can get them really cheap second hand, Mario & Luigi SuperStar Saga is another great one, Sword of mana is only alrite, zelda the minish cap is excellent aswell also Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero are top of there class on the gba. if ure into quriky games then wario ware can be frighteningly addictive :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fire Emblem is fantastic. Its like shining force but more complex. Great game.

If you can find them get the Castlevania games. Steer clear of the nintendo nes classic rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

yay - GBA convert! :)

I agree with everything already posted, but here are my recommendations

RPG: (in order of recommendation)
    Fire Emblem
    Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past
    Golden Sun I/II

I haven't played either Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga or Legend of Zelda-Minish Cap so I can't comment.

and stay away from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Other must haves:
    Castlevania series (I recommend Aria of Sorrow)
    Advance Wars I/II (Like Fire Emblem - but disposable units)
    Super Mario Advance - I recommend Yoshi's Island, but they're all good
    Wario Ware

and finishing the list with something that not everyone would like:
    Harvest Moon - Friends of Mineral Town (farming sim)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

The two Golden Suns are very traditional Japanese RPGs. Solid games and very pretty, but completely predictible. Still, you can't go wrong if J-RPGs are your thing.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is great. Really, really great. Dull as you like map sequences, but an involving, fun battle system and genuinely funny dialogue make it great. So very great. Also there is a seperate stat for 'tache. :D

Oh, and it's not an RPG, but definetely give Wario Ware a shot. It's bizarre, hilarious and perfect for the Game Boy and, provided you're not against beating high-scores, it will last for a long, long time.

Advertisement