Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing lectures

Options
  • 31-01-2005 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

i personally never go to lectures. whats the point? bit of cramming in april and your guaranteed to pass. no problem. unless your an idiot. and i mean that aswell

im spending my time having fun. cos this is the time. you ll be working all your freakin life.

some people dont get that.

anyways i dont have much time for those worry heads that think missing a lecture makes the sky fall. have fun scribbling those notes. ill be in the bar. and trust me, ill still do better than ya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've missed loads of lectures and I'm pretty worried about that fact.You though don't seem worried at all so your post has cheered me up a bit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I miss a lot of lectures too... Either I'm just feeling lazy or I sleep late for early lectures.
    I find some just horribly boring or the lecturers are just plain bad.
    However, it's not a good idea to miss too many (no matter what the original poster says and I found this out the hard way last year :(), and if you do miss them make sure you get the notes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Mind if I ask what course you do and what year you're in lateasever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

1st year arts maynooth my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

lol.. It'd have to be.
    I'll be honest, I miss a lot of lectures as well. But it takes a lot of study to keep up with them (I'm 3rd year physics btw). Lectures don't do much for me personally as I can never follow the lecturer's train of thought. I've found can only really learn on an independent basis. As far as only cramming near the end of term is concerned, (I can only speak for sci/eng like subjects) it only works in 1st year. After that you're completely screwed if try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I go to every single lecture, for four years in a row.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah i usually end up going in even when i'm severely hung over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

lateasever wrote:
    i personally never go to lectures. whats the point? bit of cramming in april and your guaranteed to pass. no problem. unless your an idiot. and i mean that aswell

im spending my time having fun. cos this is the time. you ll be working all your freakin life.

some people dont get that.

anyways i dont have much time for those worry heads that think missing a lecture makes the sky fall. have fun scribbling those notes. ill be in the bar. and trust me, ill still do better than ya.

sorry but that whole post really made me laugh. you may not go to lectures but im pretty sure you get the notes off somebody else.....may aswell be at the lecture instead of expecting someone else to do the work. how else would you do better than the rest of us?? natural genius yea?

well im quite content to actually go to my classes (obviously miss one or two here and there....it does take me the guts of 2 hours to get to college afterall!) and do well. but whatever floats your boat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'm missing one right now :( I woke up too late this morning and didn't make it in in time. I miss loads but I really don't like it cos I always feel like I'm going to miss something important by not being there. Also, depending on the format of the lecture you might actually have a chance of taking something in in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I have 11 lectures a week and I still miss a load :(
    Was much better last year, ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

GO TO YOUR LEACTURES' - seriously, it makes a huge difference when it comes to knowing what to study at the end of the year.

I also found out the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I may get my glasses fixed cos Im seeing trolls everywhere....
    "Ill do better than all of yeah cos Im too cool for school".

Seriously though, I hate continuous assessment, the pressure might be smaller but its continuous, find myself goin to too many lectures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Im in at 9 every day and takes me a good hour and a half to get to college
    so as a result i miss quite a few lectures.

I think if you're struggling at a subject you really should make as many lecs as possible even if it's boring for you, otherwise you're in trouble when the exams come around.

i found that out at xmas by failing maths :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I missed a whole load of lectures in the run up to christmas even though I only have twelve a week.I felt like **** cause I didnt have a clue now I go to lectures and feel as if passing is an attainable goal that and I've discovered I get to to do almost as much of the fun stuff I did while missing lectures anyway.

blondie83 wrote:
    I'm missing one right now :( I woke up too late this morning and didn't make it in in time. I miss loads but I really don't like it cos I always feel like I'm going to miss something important by not being there. Also, depending on the format of the lecture you might actually have a chance of taking something in in them!

I had a lecture at 10 this morning and I was in bed when you made this post!
    Exams are a long way away,right?Right? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

yea, dont worry, exams are ages away. (someone back this up to make me feel ok that i dont have a clue about nearly alll my subjects.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I've missed my last five lectures over the last three days! Bring on the Autumn exams! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

your all screwed

joe. wrote:
    your all screwed

Yep. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i wouldnt say we are all screwed. if you study smart, you will be fine.

• Advertisement

besty wrote:
    i wouldnt say we are all screwed. if you study smart, you will be fine.

I had two lectures and two tutorials today.I missed them all as I was asleep so I hope you're right! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I've missed my last five lectures over the last three days! Bring on the Autumn exams! :)

Well I missed 12 lectures last week. I went to a grand total of 3 lectures for the whole week. On wednesday the only reason I even came in was to play football! See you in august!

Well I missed 12 lectures last week. I went to a grand total of 3 lectures for the whole week. On wednesday the only reason I even came in was to play football! See you in august!

Bizarrely I have attended my first 5 lectures so far this week but I haven't learned a thing from those 5 lectures so I still will be putting exams into the August section of my diary!

Long live not doing a frickin' thing!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Through an unfortunate set of events (involving drink) I missed all my lectures yesterday (6) and my first 3 today. Only attending my mandatory computer practical at 2:00pm. :)
    I was lazy before christmas but I thought the xmas exams would scare me straight but since I did alright, Ive gotten even lazier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

i'd say i miss 10 or less a year, and i have 11/week (13 exams, i'm in 4th Elec Eng).

I hope you all fail.

This in no small part due to my living 15 mins cycle away, and that i live at home so i get rudely awoken if i try and sleep in.

For me, and i would guess for Eng in general, it makes things much easier come easter if you've attended all the lectures, I tend to absorb more than i think...

I missed my 10.00 lecture today and I came in late for my 3 o'clock tutorial.
    Still,I had plenty of time to get myself a snazzy new haircut so look out ladies!I might need to study alot but I'll not be studying on Valentine's. ;)

I missed my 10.00 lecture today and I came in late for my 3 o'clock tutorial.
    Still,I had plenty of time to get myself a snazzy new haircut so look out ladies!I might need to study alot but I'll not be studying on Valentine's. ;)

So how many ladies do you intend to shag on Valentines? :D

So how many ladies do you intend to shag on Valentines? :D

Mr Nice Guy would settle for a Miss Nice Girl as long as she had plenty of money. ;)

Ok lets stick to the thread. Just out of interest, what on average is the lecture attendance for you guys lectures in your respective subjects?

Now I attend roughly about 80% of my lectures, sometimes I can go 3 weeks without missing one then I can a have a week where I'll miss about half, so on and so forth. It just hit me today how woeful lecture attendance in my subjects. I'm a first year Arts student and I've noticed that on average the lecture attendance in two of my subjects are half full. There are lots of people who only maybe attend one lecture every two weeks. Some people also maybe only attend a tutorial every four weeks or so.

I think this is very worrying because the way things are going there is definitely a huge failure rate in first year Arts. Maybe the problem is that lectures are not useful and studying in your own time is more vital? Is going to lectures really the be all and end all as it is made out to be?

• Advertisement

Ok lets stick to the thread. Just out of interest, what on average is the lecture attendance for you guys lectures in your respective subjects?

Lately there's been a very low turnout for lectures.Today I would say the highest lecture attendance would have been about 66% which is pretty shocking.

Advertisement