Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What bike parts are standard? :(

Options
  • 31-01-2005 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Some prick tried to move my bike today in work and managed to drop it against the wall, bending my handlebars and brake lever. I'll be checking the tapes tomorrow.

So this is a half-rant, half-query. I need to get both replaced - anyone know if these are standard kind of parts, that can be replaced in a couple of days? I don't fancy having to drive around for a few weeks (bike is drivable, just a little off-centre, and the brake pads rub slightly) while waiting for the parts to come in. Bike is a Honda Varadero.

Anyone? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't really know much abt parts but I reckon they'd be easy to get?! But Seamus that thats bloody crap - why was he at your bike!?!?! I'd kick his ass or at least bill him for the parts!! He was prob showing off sitting on it!! My bike blew over outside the gym the other week when it was huricaney - i got away with a cracked indicator which I stuck with DuckTape (I was waiting till I got paid to get a new one and then I forgot)

EDIT -Tape is on the back of the indicator - i didn't tape over the indicator lens!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

tk123 wrote:
    why was he at your bike!?!?! I'd kick his ass or at least bill him for the parts!!
    I have a guess who it was and why he tried to move my bike, but I'll say nowt till I see the tapes. Needless to say I'll be billing him for the cost.

It's precisely the reason why I lose it whenever I see anyone touching my bike unless I've explicitly told them they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

seamus did you not know - everybody without a bike is an expert on bikes!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You probably shouldn't get it repaired until after they have compensated you.. Avod any potential problems..

What kind of bike is it? The brake lever should be standard, expect to pay around 20/30 quid. The handlebar on the other hand won't be so easy. If it's a clip-on, it may not be so bad, but otherwise expect an expensive replacement (money and effort), and the replacement part will likely have to be ordered..

You probably shouldn't get it repaired until after they have compensated you.. Avod any potential problems..
    I'll get onto both tomorrow. They can give me the money before I get it fixed, or otherwise I'll have to go small claims, where I can easily get compensated on the basis of repair bills :)
    What kind of bike is it? The brake lever should be standard, expect to pay around 20/30 quid. The handlebar on the other hand won't be so easy. If it's a clip-on, it may not be so bad, but otherwise expect an expensive replacement (money and effort), and the replacement part will likely have to be ordered..
    Cool, I thought the brake lever might be standard enough alright. Guess it doesn't even have to be an OEM part. The handlebars are bolted on by what I presume is a standard setup, and they're something I could quite easily replace myself, if I knew exactly the length, rise and sweep the bars have to be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, if they're paying, you should go for the OEM parts.
    Make the fecker wash your bike for a few months too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ugh, hate that. Some prick moved my bike in a hotel car park last summer so as he could park his ****ty fiat punto. Fortunately no damage was done (it did however get half stuck in the muck in the patch of grass he shoved it onto, asshole).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

seamus wrote:
    Guess it doesn't even have to be an OEM part.
    I would definately recommend going for OEM oarts especially with Brake/clutch levers etc.
    The quality is usually a bit better than the cheap spurious parts.

Turns out the camera is there, and it works, but it doesn't record, so no joy :mad:

I just hope now that it is just the handlebars that are bent and there's no frame or fork damage. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Varadero parts are awful expensive seamus, someone ploughed into me when I was driving mine and I needed new forks, handlebars and headlight lots of other small parts and it cost around two and a half grand. Thankfully the other guy was insured :) Make sure you make that fúcker pay.

• Advertisement

Swifty wrote:
    Make sure you make that fúcker pay.
    I can't now, no proof :(

It shouldn't be too bad. Shop is going to have to order in the handlebars, but hopefully they won't cost too much. Had a load of cash earmarked for a laptop this month, oh well, maybe next month...

Although they do want a deposit before they'll order in the bars, so maybe that's not a good sign.... :/

That's ****e :(

It's just the handlebars you're ordering in is it? They brand new? I had to get mine delivered from Japan so they took ages. Hopefully the handlebars alone won't cost you too much. What kind of little wanker touches something so expensive belonging to somebody else :/

Swifty wrote:
    It's just the handlebars you're ordering in is it? They brand new? I had to get mine delivered from Japan so they took ages. Hopefully the handlebars alone won't cost you too much. What kind of little wanker touches something so expensive belonging to somebody else :/
    Yeah, the guy in the shop said they'd take 4-5 days to come in, probably from Honda UK or whoever.
    I reckon it was security here in work, bored and thought they'd move my bike cos it was hanging a few inches over the kerb (you could have driven a bus in behind it). I'm going to mention it to their boss and say that they should never touch any of the bikes, and to contact the owner instead. Not much else can be done without proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

You sure you cant just bolt a set of renthal or similar bars into the clamps seamus? I cant remember the exact shape of the varadero bars, but they're held in a standard clamp, although you might have clearance problems with the tank/fairings.
    I would definately recommend going for OEM oarts especially with Brake/clutch levers etc.
    The quality is usually a bit better than the cheap spurious parts.

not neccessarily, OEM kit can be quite mediocre, and levers are levers unless you're buying total crap, but on smaller bikes there tends not to be many aftermarket parts in the first place.

edit: didnt see the 4-5 days bit, thats not too bad, i've been driving with a barely perceptable bend in my bars since my bike was kicked over outside a mates house, a few weeks after i'd put on new ones.
    seamus wrote:
    Turns out the camera is there, and it works, but it doesn't record, so no joy :mad:
    This is sadly true of most security cameras i've come across.

echomadman wrote:
    You sure you cant just bolt a set of renthal or similar bars into the clamps seamus? I cant remember the exact shape of the varadero bars, but they're held in a standard clamp, although you might have clearance problems with the tank/fairings.
    Yeah, it's the kind of thing I'd have no problem sorting myself, but I'm not sure what the sizes are, if any. The bend in the bars is strange, it doesn't appear from certain angles, but when I get the bits of string out it shows up. It's also noticeable when I'm on the bike, my right arm is 1-2 cm higher than the left.
    I had inspected the entire front end for any damage or inequality, to make sure I wasn't going mad, but I'm happy now that it's the bars that are bent.

Even with this slight displacement, the wing mirror hits off the wind shield now at full turn, so if I bought a pair of bars, it looks like they need to be an exact shape to fit. When the bars aren't bent, there's at most an inch of space between the tank/fairing and the bars at full turn either way.

Bikes booked in for Thursday week. Decided to go the whole hog and get all those bits that have been needed (new tyres and sprockets), save me a second day without the bike.

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

You entirely sure that the bars are bent. As a small fall should only knock them out of position from the clamps on the top yoke. You'd really wanna loosen the clamps and try to adjust them before you go splashing the cash.
    All my bikes have been sports but anytime the handlebars have been out, its been due to clip-ons needing adjustment on the clamps. Granted the varadero ones could easily be bent as they're alot longer, but i would check it first anyway. You'd be surprised how easily a small adjustment can make it seem so way out of whack to how you think it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Ring David Silver Spares UK www.davidsilverspares.co.uk
    Genuine Honda Spares. Just tell them its a 125 Varadero. Fast and knowledgable peeps on the phone, should give you a price straight off (Genuine Honda parts will seem expensive). A clutch lever can be got spurious for less than 20 notes. Might be an opportunity instead to put some Renthal bars on the Varadero. Should cost the same(-ish) as OEM Honda.

Cheers guys.
    I saw the David Silver spares site after I'd booked my bike in (and given a deposit) so it's something I'll keep in mind for the future.

I did remove the clamps and try to realign the bars the first night. Any attempt to realign the RHS of the bar, ended up with the LHS of the bar hitting off the tank, that gave me my first clue :D
    The brake lever is quite chunky, and it bent by about 30 degrees (on top of the 10-15 degrees it naturally had, so I can only assume it was dropped quite badly. The bike is quite heavy. I had suspected from the damage that a van may have reversed into it, hitting the carrier on the back, but there's no sign of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Swifty wrote:
    Varadero parts are awful expensive seamus, someone ploughed into me when I was driving mine and I needed new forks, handlebars and headlight lots of other small parts and it cost around two and a half grand. Thankfully the other guy was insured :) Make sure you make that fúcker pay.
    You got ripped man....
    you could buy a varadero for that price....

I didn't pay a penny it was the other's guy fault, so I wasn't nitpicking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

seamus wrote:
    Cheers guys.
    I saw the David Silver spares site after I'd booked my bike in (and given a deposit) so it's something I'll keep in mind for the future.

I did remove the clamps and try to realign the bars the first night. Any attempt to realign the RHS of the bar, ended up with the LHS of the bar hitting off the tank, that gave me my first clue :D
    The brake lever is quite chunky, and it bent by about 30 degrees (on top of the 10-15 degrees it naturally had, so I can only assume it was dropped quite badly. The bike is quite heavy. I had suspected from the damage that a van may have reversed into it, hitting the carrier on the back, but there's no sign of that.

isnt there a possiblility of a machine shop in dubin straitening your bars. come on it isnt rocket science.

New bars came to €120 :(

Total including new tyres and drivechain, came to €600.

Gonna be a slim month :)

Advertisement