Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Paisley jnr mouths off about homosexual unions

Options
  • 01-02-2005 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Ian Paisley jr, the watered down version of his mad-dog daddy, unable to articulate anything lucid about the peace process due to his lack of higher brain functions has decided instead to go for the easy target.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=606457
    A row broke out today after DUP politician Ian Paisley junior spoke out against homosexual unions when it emerged that David Trimble's political adviser had married his gay lover. Ulster Unionist top aide Steven King wed his long-time boyfriend Jean Claude in Canada recently and the pair spent their honeymoon in New York.

DUP Assembly member Ian Paisley condemned the marriage as "offensive". Speaking in a morning newspaper, he said: "It is really astounding that David Trimble should have had a man such as this giving him advice - and must surely cast grave doubts on his own political judgment."

Today, Mr Paisley said that the UUP had actively opposed same sex unions and it was "perverse" that the party's key adviser should take part in such a ceremony. "I think that homosexual relationships are wrong and are offensive to the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland." He said his party was against civil ceremonies which conferred on gay people the same status as a marriage between a man and a woman. "I think these sorts of relationships are immoral, offensive and obnoxious," he stated.

Mr Paisley said that he was not speaking from a position of hatred of homosexuals.

Ulster Unionist Chris McGimpsey accused Mr Paisley of opportunistically attacking the UUP. He said that Mr King had been open about his homosexuality yet Mr Paisley had not spoken out against him before this. "You can't sack people simply because they are homosexual," he said.

Controversial Bishop Pat Buckley called Mr Paisley "the baby dinosaur of the 21st century". He said he found it obnoxious that Mr Paisley should use words like "perverse" and "obnoxious" about homosexuals. "I think the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland would be quite happy to live and let live."

Gay rights spokesman PA MacLochlainn criticised Mr Paisley for "schoolboy sniping". "Steven is a respected colleague, a far-sighted politician and one of the best things in the unionist party. "He is a man of vision and he is precisely the sort of person David Trimble has most need of because he looks to the future instead of being mired in the past."

Mr King said he did not wish to make any comment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

This is like posting that a dog barked , or a cat miawoed or something. Given the party, the chruch, the family he belongs to it would be news worthy only if he said somethign else.

It may seem grossly unfair that any one would use the terms he used, but sadly it's within his belief system, and the FPC are not alone in holding such beliefs.

I guess though there is somethign "good" that can be taken from such offensive statements. That they can be made. Imagine if we were in a society where personal opinion is censored and controlled . In that situation its perhaps more likely that the conservative view would be the norm and "our" voice would be the one seen as extreme and offensive, but unheard

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess though there is somethign "good" that can be taken from such offensive statements. That they can be made. Imagine if we were in a society where personal opinion is censored and controlled . In that situation its perhaps more likely that the conservative view would be the norm and "our" voice would be the one seen as extreme and offensive, but unheard

In my ideal world, red-faced people with beady eyes wouldn't be allowed voice opinions. Everyone else can have free speech :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

ah, so you've seen my pic ?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

damien.m wrote:
    Controversial Bishop Pat Buckley called Mr Paisley "the baby dinosaur of the 21st century".
    Ah good ol' Fr. Pat. He gave me my first Holy Communion he did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Having heard a radio interview by ian paisley junior, its basically a carbon copy of whats posted here. With one excemption. He starts off by saying that he finds it "a wee bit preverse" that the Ulster Unionist condemn Gay marriage while a top aid has one. Maybe the aim was purely for political gain, but he does have a valid point, in that at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement