Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Students going to Santa Barbara California, renting or buying car? Irish License ok??

• 01-02-2005 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I am one of two drivers going over to Santa Barbara on J1 this summer. What is the best thing to do? We want to and will have to drive. Do we rent? Do we buy? We need something preferably a jeep but a car will do that will fit 5 of us plus luggage? The drivers have full irish licenses and are 20/21. Is this alright?

Any other former j1'ers drove in West Coast got any tips???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I think that when my sister was there about 10-12 years ago, she needed to do an American driving test even though she had a full Irish licence. I'm pretty sure that my brother may have had to do the same (8-10 years ago). They would both have been on a J1 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭RyanfromNJ

I think you have to get a California license... it's not hard... also, I'd probably rent a car if you're not going to be in the US for over a year... you'd save some cash in the long run.... plus, the gas prices here are herendous right now... I'll find out for ya though... my brother is in California right now doing his internship... get back to ya..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cheers man that would great Ryan!

Thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

I was there last summer, all you need to rent a car is an irish licence. my mates that were driving had an international licence that you can get in a garda station for about 5euro once you have your licence.
    i would recommend buying a car over there if you are going to be travelling alot or plan on doing a road trip. you could pick up a good second hand car and the insurance is very little. california is super by the way, im well jealous - wish i was going back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Do you need a full license? Or will a provisional do? Im presuming you need a full one. Im off to san diego myself. Also is it hard renting a car or getting insured on a bought one if you're under 21?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

David19 wrote:
    Do you need a full license? Or will a provisional do? Im presuming you need a full one. Im off to san diego myself. Also is it hard renting a car or getting insured on a bought one if you're under 21?

yes but if your under 25 it they will charge you loads - an extra few hundred a week

Advertisement