Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When's Rag-Week??

Options
  • 01-02-2005 1:43am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

A lot of colleges are havin their rag-week around about now, but I heard that we don't get ours till March or somthin :eek: (ghey). Any1 know for sure when it's on. Oh and a question aimed at ppl who were there last year, what can we expect it to be like (don't just say a drunken week, elaborate ). :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

i think it starts the 7th of March or something like that.

花弁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

This is the first time in years that I've missed the UCC one. Not fair. NUIM rag week better be good.....been hearing it's pretty crap from people that went to last year and the year before.

Oh well....just get drunk!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

ghey, that's like a whole month away.
    been hearing it's pretty crap from people that went to last year and the year before.

It's only good if you make it good. It's suppose to be 10 times better than Freshers-Week, if that's anyhting to go by..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Last years was shaved down because the Union was having difficulties with the entertainments account.
    They've got that under control now so they have a much bigger budget to spend on entertainments this year.
    The sponsored bungee jump is back for sure anyway! :D

The sponsored bungee jump is back for sure anyway!
    lol, WHAT!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

yeah its up near the new(old) engineering building and john hume building! was better when they had it by the callan building, till someone hit it!!! (nothing serious, the building was ok!)

normally in the morn there is djs in the bar or a flim followed by dj or a bar ex at night, sometimes there is a hypnatist, or other things like a table quiz! generally its a week of drinking but make sure to go to lectures too!(if you want wink wink!)

once or twice chartered bus loads of other students from ucd and dcu and trinity come for a day of rag week too! that was awsome hope it happens again!

popinfresh wrote:
    lol, WHAT!! :eek:

There's been a sponsored bungee jump on campus in Maynooth during rag week for the last three years. It's excellent. They bring in a huge extendable building crane and fix a cage to the top and you jump out of that.
    I've done it twice. only missed it last year because I couldn't raise the money quick enough. :(

How much does it cost??

Eighty to a hundred euro. I can't remember exactly. Half goes to the bungee company and half to the rag week charity.
    It's actually not that hard to raise if you go around enough people. At least it's not you that's paying and it's all in a good cause anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone know of what bands have been organised to play?

• Advertisement

I haven't heard any confirmations. Should be out next week. It'll probably be on the website www.nuimsu.com

It's 120 euro for the bungee jump popinfresh.

Ouch, that's like 3 whole days of drink money :eek:

You're not expected to pay it yourself! You collect sponsorship off your friends and family. Some people actually go around getting it off complete strangers on campus, in the canteen especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

the line up is pretty crap, ive been to the last four rag weeks and they have never been that good, the only good thing is the auld ratio of 3 women to 1 lad :D , anyway the only nights ill be out will be the wednesday cos my mate is djing in the su and maybe the thursday night cos mundy is playing(the only biggish name on the line up) its hard to believe that next week is rag week and the only piece of promotion ive seen is a small poster in the hume building. the ents officer should be shot

Yeah its disgraceful, I still havent seen ANYTHING about rag week around the campus. The ents officer is running for some position tomorrow so I guess she's busy, which is NO EXCUSE !

The bungee jump is €130 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 redalert2

Hey where's mundy playing?
    Do you have to be a student to go see him!!!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah its disgraceful, I still havent seen ANYTHING about rag week around the campus. The ents officer is running for some position tomorrow so I guess she's busy, which is NO EXCUSE !

The bungee jump is €130 btw.

How right you are. Just got my own sponsorship form.
    They were plastering the place with posters and flyers yesterday evening, about Rag Week. There wasn't much point doing the advertising before that because the whole place was(and still is) a morass of election advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I`m still in school but have a good few friends in Maynooth.

My mocks are finished next monday so I plan to head up for that night and all day Tuesday. Whats going on those days? Would it be worth it going up?

My mates are giving nothing away (i don`t think they have a clue what is going on) so give me the scoop!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

haven't seen whats on, but the LA will probably be packed all day Monday (3euro a drink), it was jammers last year,was nearly impossible to get a drink so some of my mates just brought in cans and poured them intp glasses, others went to roost and brought pints from there to LA. monday & Tuesday will be heavy drinkin days as thats when the most cash is floating around

Mundy is playing Thursday night Bar Ex.

• Advertisement

WOOOOOOOOOO ITS RAG WEEK, C'yall in the LA for a pint or two later!

Rag week in NUIM is crap in fairness. There isn't much happening really is there.

Oh well, to the pub I shall go.

Its only as good as you make it. Well, its only as good as the beer makes it.

Just compared to other college Rag Weeks I've been to it's not great but sure it's a laugh all the same. All I ever end up doing is getting pissed for the week anyway, even if there were things on I probably would be too lazy to leave the pub.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its only as good as you make it. Well, its only as good as the beer makes it.

Never a truer word said. If someone feels they can't have fun during Rag Week in Maynooth purely becuase we don't get big budget bands, they're obviously not very interesting people themselves.
    Big budget bands won't improve you if you've an iron rod up your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I did`nt enjoy myself anyway. I would`nt have minded goignt o the reggae thing tonight though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

went to SU last night (was in the roost but it was too packed to get a drink). man the smell of B.O. was unreal when you walk in the door. fekn 1st years need a shower! good craic though, i'm still a bit drunk. one more dayu left and then have to save for a trip to Cork for St.Patricks!

Looking forward to Mundy tonight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

*Some* of us didnt get tickets to the bar ex last night, so the rest of us had to sell our tickets so we could all "be together"!! Went to the glenroyal instead, and can I just say wat a load of crap! Dancefloor is tiny, there wasn't room to breathe, and the stink of sweat!!

Left at half twelve, sober as anythin! Had lotsa fun outside the SU though waitin for the buses! :D

hope yous all had fun at Mundy!

• Advertisement

Mundy was good enough.

But I am never as long as I live stepping foot in the SU Bar again. So many annoying, immature little first years thinking they're the bees knees.

Thank God this village has The Roost....at least there's a mixture of people there. Now I see why people hate students.

Anyway....Mundy was good :D

(Yes I'm cranky and hungover)

Advertisement