Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help securing wi fi connection

• 01-02-2005 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

hi everybody...

im picking up my eircom wireless router today - netopia 3347 ?
    i have a nortel e-mobility dsss 802.11b pci card
    i have a targa/lidl laptop from 2003 with the pcmcia wifi card

from messing around ive got the two of them talking on an ad-hoc network
    not secure, basically just wanted to maek sure the things worked.

anyway everything works full 11Mbps and excellent network strenght.
    could vnc but could share files or internet ...
    well this is deside the point.

my eircom stuff arrives today and i hope to set up a wireless network,
    hopefully it will be pain free but im more worried about security.

has anyone got any advice on the best setup [if any] for the equipment ive mentioned, and how to go about it.

i havent much experience but ive had variations on wired networks up and running in previous setups so hopefully wont have too much trouble once i know how to secure everything.

both pcs are xp sp2 , outpost firewall, avk extendia antivrus .

as always any input is appreciated :)
    chalk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I don't know anything about your specific hardware, chalk, but in general, security in a wireless environment is based on encryption or access control - preferably both. Neither is 100% secure, but they are generally adequate for home use.

Encryption will be either WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) or on newer gear, WPA (WiFi Protected Access). WPA is better - if you have it, that's good. Otherwise, WEP is OK.

Access control allows you to limit access to your network to specific computers, by specifying the MAC address of their network cards.

Every manufacturer has their own way of implementing all this, so RTM and you should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

sounds good,
    everything is fairly old , all on the b standard , so i assume itll be wep.

im sure itll be fun to set up :)

Advertisement