Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China/Russia Wreck the U.N this time (its not just the U.S)

Options
  • 01-02-2005 11:20am

Yup, the Chinese want Sudans oil and have blocked discussions on sanctions with help from their equally oil contract hungry Russian friends

It's no surprise then that a UN report stops short of declaring the mass killings in Darfur as genocide which would mean mandatory UN intervention.

Sigh.... I always knew the U.N was/is a puppet of the members of the security council and the council is basically castrated by the interests of the big five not just the big one.. How could anyone pay much heed to its decisions when its hands are so tied by the interests of the few and not the many?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

the U.N. is well and truely beyond its sell-by-date, how anyone can take seriously what is says is puzzling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

toiletduck wrote:
    the U.N. is well and truely beyond its sell-by-date, how anyone can take seriously what is says is puzzling to me.

So what do you propose in its place? What changes would you propose to the existing system if it were to remain?

There is no workable answer as the big three like their influence.
    How could one expect change when the UN call Dafur as a non genocide event... most likely due to China not wanting them in there.

It depends on what you mean by taking them seriously. If you mean direct military intervention, the UN is severely lacking, since it doesn't have its own forces to send as such. Therefore it cannot provide the protection it was meant to provide without the support of the major powers.

If you mean other forms of protection it can provide economic sanctions which can be a deterent for many nations that would consider moving against its decisions. It does still act as a minor obsticle against some minor countries acting outside of the UN mandates.

The UN is useful since its remains a place where all nations can discuss world events, without it being an official conversation between governments. It allows enemies to have a forum to air their views and receive opinions worldwide as to how it stands on a political standpoint.

The removal of the UN would be no use. There is simply nothing to replace it. However, there does need to be a Global peacekeeping organisation that can independently of the major powers (think Rainbow Six with 5000 men, :D ), that can decide to intercede regardless of what Russia, the US, or China thinks. But, lets face it, such an organisation is unlikely to occur since all the countries not on the security council are unlikely to contribute without the backing of the major powers. Therefore nothing will happen. At least from I can determine.

Lets face it. A successful UN would be a threat to the expanding power of the superpowers. The US would not like to be curtailed, just as China or Russia would object to a foreign organisation curtailing their military or political actions.

Advertisement