Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm not a "hic" alcoholic

Options
  • 02-12-2000 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Don't drink and drive, get all of your drinking done before you get behind the wheel.

Don't waste beer, there are sober people in India.

The only time I refused a drink I didn't understand the question.

Alcoholism is not a disease, it's a goal.

You're not an alcoholic unless you go to the meetings.

I may not be able to walk, but I drive from the sitting position.

Don't talk to the driver while he's drinking.
    wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

If they don't want us to drink and drive, why do you have to have a driver's license to buy beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dont drink and drive you might hit a bump and spill it

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keeks:
    If they don't want us to drink and drive, why do you have to have a driver's license to buy beer?</font>

erm... you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    erm... you don't.

</font>

I forgot, This IS Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BUBBLES18

Why buy beer when you can buy the BUCKFAST WINE as drunk by Portadowns finest Alco's

UP THE WINO'S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BUBBLES18

If they don't want us to drink and drive, why do you have to have a driver's license to buy beer?</font>

But if you look old enough you wouldn't need one now would you?

I forgot, This IS Ireland.</font>

Irrelevant.

You need to be of a certain age to legally buy/consume alcohol - you don't necessarily need to be certified as able to drive a car (i.e.: having a license). It just so happens that having a driving license is usually taken to mean being of the required age to legally purchase and/or consume alcohol... whether that's usually the case or not, having a driving license is not what entitles you to buy alcohol.

---

On the side, - I happen to take offence at this joke in a way, as someone very close to me was killed, entirely through the fault of someone's irresponsible drunken driving... that someone being the driver of an 18-wheeler truck on a busy motorway in the UK. This joke is, in its own way, making out that drinking and driving is 'ok', 'natural' or just something to have a laugh about.

People should take alcohol and the dangers and consequences of drink driving a bit more seriously to be honest. Making a joke of it can desensitise people to something which is effectively a serious problem, and a potentially lethal one at that.

For f*cks sake.

bard2.gif

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 11-12-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It's a problem no1 takes seriously. I happen to live near 4 pubs and I never have somewhere to park during "happy hour". There's a gap when they all drive home (sober I'm sure rolleyes.gif ) for dinner but if I get home from college after nine there's nowhere to park again. I go out in the morning and the street's empty again! I'm sure they all had designated drivers. Some morning's they're leaving the pub as I leave for college eek.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

/me points down to Spell Check!! That would solve it all!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

quote:
    Originally posted by Bard:
    I happen to take offence at this joke in a way, as someone very close to me was killed, entirely through the fault of someone's irresponsible drunken driving

Niall I didnt think annyone would be offended by this "joke" i dont drive as you know so i dont drink and drive and i dont take lifts from peopel who have been drinking but I dont fell i should have to apologise for this post as there have been much worse things posted here!

It's ok, Dave- it just kinda struck a personal chord. I probably shouldn't have made that reply, ... but... to hell with it... I did.

You need not apologise... I still don't think it's a particularly funny joke though.

bard2.gif

Advertisement